Mysteries of the Fabled Orange Motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysteries of the Fabled Orange Motor

With most new motors there will be a variation in timing until the brushes are completely seated.

I have found some motor brushes were not completely seated after 8 hours running time.

The Slot it orange motorís problems go a little deeper.

It has to do with the manufacturing process.

I have found some of the commutators are installed in a retarded position.

The worst one that I have found was about 15į retarded.

Advancing or retarding a small D.C. motorís timing reduces itís output torque.

Retarding a small D.C. motorís timing reduces itís maximum rpm.

Advancing a small D.C. motorís timing increases itís maximum rpm.

Advancing or retarding a small D.C. motorís timing more than 10į reduces itís braking torque.

The motor with the 15į retarded commutator would only produce;

152 g/cm Ts and 19856 rpm, 7.5 watts @ 12 volts.

7.5 watts is quite a bit lower than factory specs when it comes to these motors.

With most motors that have sufficient off center timing, the difference can be felt or heard just by running the motor at full speed in both direction in your hand.

Motors that are close to 0į timing have to be measured with a tachometer.

If you were unfortunate to use one of these retarded motors in a race car, it could greatly reduce your carís performance; acceleration, braking, and top speed.

To avoid this problem, remove the motor from your car and test it in your hand to check the rpm in both directions, before you build your race car.

I understand this problem has been corrected and only showed up in the older motors.

The photo shows an orange armature with approximately 15į retarded timing.

If you are using this motor in an inline car, the crown gear can be switched to the left side, and the motor wires reversed.

Dave
    Last edited by davejr; 04-07-2009, 07:06 AM.

Please pardon my ignorance, but is the orange motor you are referring to like or the same as the orange motor in most (if not all) current Avant Slots?

Comment

I don't know what motors are in Avant Slots, but I'm sure the motors Dave is talking about are the orange endbell Slot It motors.

Fred

Comment

jsensk

You will have to pardon my ignorance also.

I donít know what motors are used in Avant slot car.

I edited the article to include the name.

Dave

Comment

If i understand this correctly, then by reversing the motor wires the retard becomes advance?

If so, this makes for a good argument for checking the motor RPM in both direction before installing it into a competition car.

Comment

You understand correctly.

Dave

Comment

The Slot it orange motorís problems go a little deeper.

It has to do with the manufacturing process.

I have found some of the commutators are installed in a retarded position.
              Have you found any motors that were manufactured with the commutators in an advanced position?

Comment

The arms that are retarded might be set up to run the opposite direction for sidewinder applications. Then 15 degrees becomes advanced. I do understand what you are saying. They must not be jig-built. Somewhere along the line, the comm is getting tweaked. In most cases, you can tweak it a little further if the comm isn't locked. If you go too far though, either a wire will break or the motor will be too far advanced. In either case, it won't run.

Comment

Inquiring minds want to know!

Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                  Have you found any motors that were manufactured with the commutators in an advanced position?
                  Last edited by redlynr; 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X