No announcement yet.

6 Years after: CanAm proxy car post mortem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=cgyracer;1021586]....sometimes I find the slightly narrower 8 to 10 mm wide tire will give me more grip on a wider car versus narrow.
    /QUOTE]

Very true indeed. Some of my quickest cars have this set up.

Comment

My apologies for the deafening silence from my side: I have been out of town on work so time has been an issue.

Chris

As always your post contains a lot of substance and value. A few quick comments:

* Thanks for the excellent example of a stiffener. Like all your work, that looks just gorgeous. Point taken also on the piano wire vs. brass recommendation: this is something that I need to take up. The added advantage is that I have a professional piano tuner living in our complex so I can always tap him for some tuning.... BTW: looks like that is quite a lucrative profession seeing as he just traded his Porsche Cayman for a 2016 Corvette....
      * Agreed on the Sloting Plus bushings. Seeing as I started out expressing doubts about them I should likely have just replaced them at the beginning. Oh well, I should know how good or bad they are in a few hours!
      * Another good tip on the guide clearance. In looking at the assembled car it certainly looks like I did that way back when: I am getting close to 140 rotation on the guide: this is similar (actually slightly more) that what I have on a stock Slot.it GT40. While I do my utmost to drive my cars so they resemble magnet cars (with the rear wheels dutifully following the fronts around a corner with rather little slip angle), mistakes do happen. Making this mod is cheap insurance for sure.

Rob/Tom:

Understood and agreed on the excessively wide tyres. But I must admit to some aesthetic consession / accommodation here: I just love the look of the big, fat tyres on the car. In our group, Brian (Duke7777) is another person that swears by narrow tyres (he actually goes narrower than you guys mentioned) and his cars always go very, very well indeed. I realise that I am probably sacrificing a bit of speed potential here.... but it LOOKS so GOOD!

I realise I may regret this if the car turns out to be not very quick...

Rob: I also am totally on side with the narrow: Supergrips / wide: Ultragrips thought Rob. In this case I have used urethanes as that is the norm for our group. I pretty much only use NSR tyres for proxy cars.

Cheers

Alwyn

Comment

Reporting back

Ahh, a bit of a mixed bag...

Took the car to the track yesterday evening and had somewhat mixed results.

But first things first I suppose: Paul, it appears I owe you five bucks. Best lap turned out to be a 6.523. So it JUST squeaked in under the 6.55 second bar that I set.

But that was one lap and it was hard work to get it there. The good news is that I could turn low 6.6 second laps reliably, consistently and safely all day long: the car is really very forgiving at that speed and very easy to drive. Deslots were a complete and utter rarity. This is a Good Thing for a proxy. But the out and out speed is still not quite good enough to be a strong contender in a mainstream really fast proxy.

So what held the car back from doing better? The two things that we had discussed all along:

1. Sloting Plus bushings:
        * Already in post #3 I wrote "At the same time I replaced the rear bushings with Sloting Plus RSS Victors bushings. These are very nice because they allow for slight misalignment with the spherical bushings in a Teflon holder. But I must say over time I have come to be suspicious of them in terms of rigidity and control of chatter".
        * Then in post #10 I wrote"Now I did mention that I am somewhat suspicious of the Sloting Plus bushings so if I find even a HINT of movement/chatter when I test the car... out they go!"
        * In post #14, Chris wrote quite comprehensively as to why he has reservations about the Sloting Plus bushings.

Alas and as expected, there was some chatter. Silly me: after all the above I should just have bitten the bullet and replaced the bushings.

Oh well: next step is out with the Sloting Plus bushings, in with a set of SCC racing bushings. It is not as if I did not already HAVE the bushings, so why I did not replace them....

Oh well.

2. Tyres. Also as was widely written (oh no, absolutely no pun intended.... ), the rear tyres are too wide. If I was aiming for absolute grip, I would/should have gone narrower. But quite frankly, this was expected and I am OK with living with this. If I were to send the car in to a proxy I would have replaced the wheels with 11mm or even 10mm CB Design insert wheels (have a lot of them available!) and the tyres with Supergrips (probable) or MAYBE even Ultragrips (I have some of those as well!).

But I am NOT sending the car away on a proxy and the grip is good enough for me to be happy giving up some absolute grip for the look of the car.

So all in all from my perspective I would call it a success. And on top of that I enjoyed doing it, and isn't that pretty much the #1 objective in a hobby?

Alwyn
        Last edited by SuperSlab; 09-09-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Have you made any more improvements?

Lap times still at 6.6?

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Sports Racer View Post
            Have you made any more improvements?

Lap times still at 6.6?

Cheers

Paul
            Hi Paul

Regrettably I have so many cars that to give each one a bit of TLC takes FOREVER! So nope: not done anything to it since then. But it is on the list for tweaking...

Cheers

Alwyn

Comment

Working...
            X