This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AutoArt

Didn't see AutoArt in this thread so by using the highly scientific process of "see if Slot.it parts fit" I have concluded that AutoArt axles are 3/32", at least, for my Porsche 993.

Pete

Comment

Well observed

Just put the calipers on my AUTOart Subaru, and sure enough they're 2.40mm or 0.094", yer regular 3/32 in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike- View Post
        The easiest/best thing to do is just buy a set of the Slot.It bushings (just for this problem) and their axle..and install the higher grade..properly fitting parts into your other car.

I've done this to Fly, Ninco and Spirit cars.

The Slot.it guys have their act together on this one.

Mike
        The Slot.it cylindrical & flanged bronze bushings may fit those cars (I agree they fit Fly), but they do not fit any Scalextric chassis unless you bore out the locator slots. You can get them in there if you don't bore them out, but you're very likely to break a tab or crack the entire chassis. The diameter of the Slot.it bushing is larger than that of the stock Scalextric bushing.

Slot Car Corner sells their own bronze bushings and a diamond-coated Dremel bit intended to adjust the Scalextric chassis slots to fit the SCC or Slot.it bushings. Look here.

I usually use single-flanged ball bearing inserts and drill blanks (press-fit) for the Scaley chassis.
        Last edited by JML; 03-12-2008, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I think we should stage some kind of protest, demanding uniform standards. It's those #@!^&*# Spaniards* doing this I bet, as a joke.

This whole axle thing reminds me of that TV show on NBC, "My Name Is Knurl"

(* relax - my grandmother, who's name was Escalante, came to America from Spain when she was a young girl. I am half Spanish. I mean no disrespect.)

Comment

about hollow axles...

...does anybody have accurate measurements or mfr data about the INSIDE diameter of any hollow axles? (Slot.It, Koford, any others...)?

Comment

I have a couple of hollow Slot.It axles, but I'm not able to measure them right now (they are elsewhere right now). I do recall that a 1/16" rod fits easily inside. I can get exact measurements in a few days. Measuring small internal diameters with a caliper is tricky, but it can be done; one could also use the go-no-go method with graduated drill shanks.

Comment

A No. 52 drill is .063", and is a tight fit inside a Slot.It hollow axle. I have two Slot.It hollow axles and one is a slightly more snug fit that the other around the shank of the #52 drill (.0625" is 1/16"). So it appears the hole in the axle is as close to 1/16" as I can measure.

It turns out the 1/16" rod which fits easily inside the Slot.It axle is actually undersized by a few thousandths of an inch.

Comment

thanks very much Robert!

...I also have had trouble getting a consistent read from my digital calipers. But your idea of faking a go/no-go gauge will be just the ticket. Thanks again for going to that trouble.
                  -Max

Comment

This is an interesting thread that deserves to see daylight again. Does anyone have the measure of the diameter of an NSR axle?

This thread would be even more useful if we knew something about the bore sizes of various manufacturer's wheels, gears and especially bushings. Do we, as a group, have such info?

Steve

Comment

"diameter of an NSR axle?"

Steve ..

Just pop the led off a couple C6R NSR Vettes and using a digital caliper got a Dia of 2.35mm front and back...

Your right this thread needed a rival

Dick

Comment

Thanks Dick!

Comment

I will get in and do some updates to the first post....like new Scalextric models having 2.28mm axles. So far have seen that on McLaren P1 and BMW Z4. The axle bushings are a great fit around Scaleauto/Slot.It axles.
                          Last edited by monquispot; 11-05-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LegoPete View Post
                            Didn't see AutoArt in this thread so by using the highly scientific process of "see if Slot.it parts fit" I have concluded that AutoArt axles are 3/32", at least, for my Porsche 993.

Pete
                            Originally posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
                            Just put the calipers on my AUTOart Subaru, and sure enough they're 2.40mm or 0.094", yer regular 3/32 in other words.
                            Slightly OT, but fyi, the Autoart 1/24 cars have decently hard axles of the popular for the scale 3mm variety, so adding some popular big dollar car wheels/tires *cough* scaleauto *cough* and a lightweight Parma lexan interior can net you a pretty impressive, and cheap, car. My Ford GT is unbeatable at my local track.

Comment

A good caliper will display 0.0005 inches, it would be better to use a micrometer. Reamers are not too expensive, if you expect to be interchanging wheels to fit odd axle sizes you might look at the chart and order a few from a place like McMaster-Carr.
                              I have a 3/32nd reamer on hand because some of the wheels that I bought have axle holes that are a little undersized. If you get wheels with oversized axle holes they will be off center when you tighten the set screw.

Comment

Working...
                              X