Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mistake just noticed you were working with a front engine fly!! FWIW I just bought Avant Slot metal stub axles and used set screw aluminum front wheels on all my Fly GTO 250 and they work great and fit with lots of clearance for the motor to go back in.
    Chris

Comment

I do want to use the original front wheels.

Comment

NP just mount them on the avant slot stub axles but make sure the fly wheels are concentric and the hub axle hole isn't oval shaped or off center.

Chris

Originally posted by bkrownd View Post
        I do want to use the original front wheels.

Comment

There aren't any set screws for the stock wheels, so I think I'd eventually need to go with the notched stub axle and c-ring mentioned in the old posts. Finding the materials and retaining ring and sizing the axle and bushing will be a bit of an annoyance. :/

Part of me is tempted to drill a tiny hole in the side of the wheel hub and drive the tiniest screw I can find into the plastic axle, then jam a bit of teflon into the vertical axle slot to make it "roundish". It might hold together long enough to make me less ambitious, saving a lot of money. Developing a crack in the hub is the big worry.

Comment

Have just caught this thread and not wanting to start at the beginning I risk repeating other posts. Along with Avant Slot Auto Art make some excellent front half axles which could substitute the fly axles.

Comment

Prof. Motor is now selling those Avant Slot AV20406 Metal Front Stub Axles. Out of stock for now, though.

I did order several from PendleSlot in the UK. (FYI: they're made in China.)

Last edited by JML; 02-19-2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Dansula are the Auto Art stub axles available anywhere because you are right they and the avant slot are both good replacements! Just got the Auto Art C-type jag and it was the first I noticed when I opened it up.
                Chris

Originally posted by dansula View Post
                Have just caught this thread and not wanting to start at the beginning I risk repeating other posts. Along with Avant Slot Auto Art make some excellent front half axles which could substitute the fly axles.

Comment

this evening i fixed some really floppy front axles on an alfa tz2:

1) using a 1/8 drill bit, i enlarged the axle carrier holes slightly
                  2) cut two pieces of 1/8 brass tubing, the same width as the axle carriers
                  3) slide them into the 1/8 holes from step 1. i got them started by hand, and used a hot soldering iron to push them through the rest of the way. makes for a nice firm fit.
                  4) make two stub axles out of 3/32 brass with a thin piece of 1/8 brass tubing soldered to the end.

Last edited by boopiejones; 07-13-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boopiejones View Post
                    this evening i fixed some really floppy front axles on an alfa tz2:

1) using a 1/8 drill bit, i enlarged the axle carrier holes slightly
                    2) cut two pieces of 1/8 brass tubing, the same width as the axle carriers
                    3) slide them into the 1/8 holes from step 1. i got them started by hand, and used a hot soldering iron to push them through the rest of the way. makes for a nice firm fit.
                    4) make two stub axles out of 3/32 brass with a thin piece of 1/8 brass tubing soldered to the end.

Very nice work, neat and tidy! I particularly like the hot solder iron "tip"....!

Comment

Here are the Avant Slot stub axles in a Carrera Shelby Cobra. I used a teflon washer at the head of the axle to take up the area where there's a slightly rough joint at the head, followed by a SCC stainless steel .010" washer. There's another .010" stainless washer between the hub and the outside of the bushing. The axles are steel, but they're not high-speed steel, and are far easier to cut with a rotary tool than drill blanks or Slot.it axles.

Last edited by JML; 10-05-2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Just to dig up this kinda old thread. With regards to my Fly 250 GTO, what I did was take a solid axle, put wheels on it, which pushed the axle up into the top of the axle holders (on a flat surface) and then put CA glue in the holes around the axle. This filled the bottom of the holes and tightened up the slop to the point that, once you break the solid metal axle loose and remove it's all gone. I'm using the stock stubs too.

Comment

Bringing it back...

This is a perfect solution for Carrera Can-am cars! Thanks to all for the input!
                          Last edited by Drewbert34; 11-30-2016, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Worthy of resurrection, this one. There's a related thread, here.

Comment

Rivets will work as stub axles as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rixvette View Post
                                Rivets will work as stub axles as well.
                                Good tip!

Comment

Working...
                                X