Customizing the Race & Header Pane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customizing the Race & Header Pane

I had assumed the header pane and race pane were fixed.....but someone on another forum had a problem, and as he saw me fiddling with other aspects of the program, pointed out that Ricky Torpedo (Pierrick) had implemented a user configurable system. WONDERFUL PIERRICK!!!!!
    He couldn'tunderstand how to get the editing to work, so ........at 1am this morning.....success.

Below are my notes. If they are not clear, I will edit this post, to improve them as instructions.

First you click on "Views" in the top left menu, and click on "Configure hardware and circuit", go into "General" and finally into "Race pane"
    Views > Configure hardware & Circuit > General > Race pane

I am using racingtm.scc and headertmscc as my panes, as they are clean, clear, and look like Trakmate and Laptimer 2000 in style - which is what we're used to.
    First I clicked on the header area, which opens it in what is usually the track editor part of UR3.0
    Altering the header pane is easiest. I just clicked on the BORDER of each text section, up popped a standard windows font/text dialogue box, I altered to the size I wanted. Done. In my case, I decided to click INSIDE the text box, and edited the text to capitals of the same word. - More impact from a distance.
    I also had to click the text box border again, and drag it to resize it so that my text wasn't "chopped off" when in race mode. Be aware that it may display differently race mode, to what you see as you edit - it's just the automaticlly resizing proportion of black background. What doesn't quite fit it's text box and display fully when you're in edit mode will usually fit a lot better in race mode use of the pane - - I am using 1024 x 768

Editing the main race pane had me fooled for a bit.
    First times I clicked on it's area to open it, I couldn't figure what to do with what I saw as "default" in image 2
    Then I realised that the top two red text areas could just be dragged out of the way temporarily, so that I could see and edit the boxes underneath them.
    See image 3
    The "Mark Donohue" "9" "Time" "average" "Best" are SAMPLE text dialogues. Altering the size/font style/colour of THOSE, will alter the actual display style in that area of the screen of race mode.
    Now I can click on the text boxes and edit ach one the same way as above. To edit the text font/size etc, click on the border of each text box, up pops the font dialogue, make your changes, close. I went from 20 point, way up to 48 point.
    See image 4 for the process.

I found that with 1024 x 768 resolution, I could go to 36 point caps in the header pane, and in the main race pane, to 48 point for the name and number of laps, but only up to 28 point for Lap time, median and best lap, as these "cells" have 6 characters to be fitted into them.

It IS also possible to alter the cell size vertical borders and the width of each text box, below is a variant optimised for 1024 x 768 screen.
    My lap times would never normally exceed 10 seconds, so the layout maximises font size, and readability) for my PC and screen location.

Thanks to Ricky for continuing to develop this free software for our use. Consider going to his site http://www.uracerweb.org/ and making a donation towards his hosting costs etc., it is easy using Paypal.
    Last edited by SlotsNZ; 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM.

NZ, thanks for posting the instructions to mod the race and header panes - very helpful and much appreciated. Just wondering, have you figured out a way to add a field (like POSITION) to a race pane as I notice that this is missing from most of the panes apart from "racingvan" and "tof4". Having the position displayed would enable the race controller to tell at a quick glance who won the race rather than having to figure it out by looking through the lap count and sometimes, time difference.

Comment

I hadn't....but I have

you got me onto it....
      Turned out to be quite easy.

First, set the race pane config window to any of the panes which INCLUDE the feature you want.
      Double click on it to go into edit mode.
      Highlight that item [object]
      Hold Control Key Hit letter "C" (the standard microsoft key combo to copy things).
      Close the edit window.
      Switch Race pane to the one you want to add this feature to
      Double click on it to go into edit mode..
      Hold control Key, and hit letter "V" (to paste it.)
      Now position it where you want in on the edit window.
      If you need to reposition any other objects on screen they are all just drag and drop, like desktop publishing.
      Likewise, if you need an extra vertical line as I did, to add this to my own race pane, just do the control C control V thing again, and drag the copied object to position.
      See first image for the "before"
      Second image for the "after"
      Third pic is obviously as a live screen, and it works great. As I waved my hands over the sensors to imitate live laps, the positions of the 3 lanes were changing to show new race positions for the lanes.

The fourth image is an objects edit mode window you can open up while you are editing a race pane or header pane. You first hightlight the object you want to do something to, then on top line of the menu click "Object", and on the pop-up menu "properties"
      Now you can do all sorts of things to the text properties of the highlighted object

The thing to get our heads around is that when we are editing a race pane or header pane, we THINK we are just editing a letter, or picture, but what we are actually editing, is a live "object" ie, the representative icon of an actual "object" which carries and displays actual race information when you are using that screen in live race mode.

This is a very powerful editing tool !!! All jolly useful
      I have the race and header pane edit window thing mostly sorted. I need a bit more time to master the programming of the tournament section.
      If you want any of the "panes" like this, just email me, I will send them as attachments. All you do is copy them into the media/racing sub-directory of UR3.0; and next time you start up, they appear as new items on the race pane and header menus. All you need to do for a 6 lane version is alter the header pane, so that you have 2 sets of the columns that line up with the data, and you end up with 2 "Sets" of data in columns, with 3 lanes in each column

I also have a couple of suggestions for Pierrick of variables to insert in the actual racing mode.

One being an option to have a "dead" circuit immediately before the start, instead of live with potential penalties for jumping the start. Most guys I race with prefer an even start from a dead track.
      The other is to have all heats except first heat, accept FIRST lap times below the usual minimum lap time, so that if you use the system of changing a car over lane to lane at a fixed "segment position" between heats, you need to be able to accept first lap with no mimimum time, otherwise the first lap may not get counted.

Last edited by SlotsNZ; 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks again, NZ. Man, you seem to have got this whole system by the scruff of the neck. Will certainly try out what you've written and hope to make the mods to a few race panes to suit our needs here.
        Yeah, I agree - having the first lap counted after the lane switchover would be a very useful mod and critical in the event of a closely-fought race where every segment counts. I've been running some races with lane switchovers and some drivers lost almost a whole lap when the previous heat stopped their cars just a couple of feet from the counting sensors and when the race resumed after the switchover, the system didn't record their crossing of the sensor because they were below the minimum lap time. This would be of equal importance as counting the last lap completed by other cars after the winning car has crossed the finish line. Let's hope Pierrick can get on to it soon.

Comment

6 lane (2 column) version of above race pane

Hi Chenglaw

I built a header for the above screen, suitable for 6 and 8 lane systems - -which require 2 columns for drivers (3 or 4 per column)
          The Race pane adjusts, and the header is designed to fit it, so email me if you want copies. Total file size about 500KB

Last edited by SlotsNZ; 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chenglaw View Post
            Thanks again, NZ. Man, you seem to have got this whole system by the scruff of the neck. Will certainly try out what you've written and hope to make the mods to a few race panes to suit our needs here.
            Yeah, I agree - having the first lap counted after the lane switchover would be a very useful mod and critical in the event of a closely-fought race where every segment counts. I've been running some races with lane switchovers and some drivers lost almost a whole lap when the previous heat stopped their cars just a couple of feet from the counting sensors and when the race resumed after the switchover, the system didn't record their crossing of the sensor because they were below the minimum lap time. This would be of equal importance as counting the last lap completed by other cars after the winning car has crossed the finish line. Let's hope Pierrick can get on to it soon.
            Yep. Finding a good rule here was hard. Good to have your advises on this point. I was not sure if couting this first lap was making sense or not. Can be set as a new configuration parameter then.

/P.

Comment

Another screen

I also liked the pane "racingvan" ...and noting that on the UR3.0 site or help files it mentions "lapointe" somewhere, so I wonder if that screen was written BY or FOR Van LaPointe.....aka the good Doc Vanski here....

Anyway, I like the background as lane colours, so I simply altered this parameter on the race pane, and altered all the yellow text to be contrasting to the backround colour (yellow text somehow just DOESN'T stand out on yellow background )

This is the result ....in progress.

Comment

Designed by Dr Vanski and then written for Dr Vanski!

Comment

for fun : you can also change the pictures if you want (logo, flags, and so on). Pictures objects also have race object properties

/P.

Comment

UR3 rocks! Now, can anyone beat Batman? He seems to be pretty good...

Comment

Great tips on using the editing software SlotsNZ - extremely helpful, saved me a bucketload of grief.

I was editing the "headerfolm.scc" pane and was wondering about the three start lights at the right. Are they supposed to go from Off to Red, to Orange & then Green? If so how do you get them to do it, as mine only go from Off to Red then Green. I noticed that there are red, orange & green bitmaps in the racer30\media folder I presume these are for the start lights, but how do you get the orange light to work?

Cheers
                      Bill

Go hard or Go home
                      Last edited by Kiwi_AFXer; 11-04-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

select the right start lighting sequence in the settings : hardware -> circuit settings.

/P.

Comment

Where are you

Heya Kiwi, what part of the country are you in - I'm Hawkes Bay.

if you need help, I may be able to talk "off forum" with you to tweak things

Comment

Down in Invercargill mate, the frozen south at the moment - great summer weather!!!!

email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Torpedo View Post
                              select the right start lighting sequence in the settings : hardware -> circuit settings.

/P.
                              Hi Pierrick, I presume you mean: General-> Circuit->Timing and then selecting either "Standard" which will give you Red, Orange and the Green lights (any chance of varying the timing sequence?) or "Fast" which will jump straight from Red to Green without any Orange in between. Haven't tried "Immediate" but I presume it will go to Green immediately when you click on the start icon.

One question: how do you associate different sounds for the different start lights? Right now I can only associate only one sound with "Light Timing Changes" e.g. "Get Ready" when the Red light comes on. This sound is repeated when the Orange light comes on after the Red, so we have 2 "Get Ready" warnings (one on Red and one on Orange) which is not exactly correct. I would like to have a second sound like "Set" when Orange comes on. The "Race Starts" option allows me to associate the sound "Go" with the Green Light so there's no problem here. Just what can be done about the intermediate Orange light?

Comment

Working...
                              X