Fuel management - possible bug report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel management - possible bug report

I have my refuelling IR detectors a few feet in front of the lap detectors which generally works well (although I've recorded elsewhere very recently the problem I have that lap detects sometimes don't work on very fast cars).

Since I wired a Phidget to cut the power to a lane when it is out of fuel, I've spotted another anomaly - it was there before I now realise, but cutting the power makes it much more significant. Here's what happens:

When the car is low on fuel, I have the fuel gauge flash on the computer screen, so drivers know to refuel or else when they next cross the start-finish line, they will lose power and lose the race.

However, I've spotted that sometimes a car may be low on fuel, but not yet low enough for the warning to go off - but a driver may complete such a fast lap that the fuel calculation completely empties the tank as he drives over the start-finish line. The power is then cut and he's lost - but he never had a warning.

Possible solution: if the warning hasn't yet gone off, any fuel reduction calculation that sets fuel at zero should set it at the minimum visible level above zero, so that driver has a warning and the chance to refuel.

James
    - my blog detailing the construction of my track and cars I've purchased
    - the latest photo of my home track
    - details of vintage, custom and limited edition slot cars and accessories that I'm selling

Yes MyScalextric, your observation is on point about time between LOW to NO fuel. Seems configuring the numbers to be realistic for consumption and yet practical for our racing is limited in that the trigger (Start/Finish sensor) is the only place a car can in the software can be monitored. Not everybody has multiple sensors, making it too specific or "Customized" a software application to create such a routine, however finding the balance between a Full Tank, Consumption, and Out of fuel should be possible.
    Consumption is the key value but is limited to that single point of monitoring. Making it realistic so as not to be an annoyance (Fuel required every 5 laps), Pedal specific (Faster means more) yet also unique enough (Car/Driver) significant enough to be part of Race strategy, and with enough tolerance to be able to provide a wide enough warning that (at least a lap) the warning is in fact a warning.
    UR30 has changed part of Fuel/Refuel since I helped write the online help. I will research it, but believe LOW fuel signal was not addressed as it is a mathematical constant of the formula. I will pass this along to consideration.

Comment

after investigation: what's about adding a gauge in the heat setting screen to change the warning trigger level?

Comment

Flexibility to change a setting is always a welcome because it allows those who want to make or fine tune adjustments the chance, however it would also require the documentation (knowledge) to understand how the changes modify the overall effect.

Taking into consideration "real life" not every NASCAR (even within Teams) have an identical Fuel timetable, but all are close enough to each other that could make them a non-issue if not for the gamble of "Cautions" and how hard they need to run to make or keep pace. Since we (Slot car) tracks don't have a caution type scenario available all stops are under Green flag and accordingly the difference comes down to the pit crews (Driver) ability to simulate filling or adding fuel to the tank. This is why I like the current option of using an external button to control fueling vice automatic detection of a car inside the pits. How quick the Driver can depress the button and how long he holds it down controls the "pit time" which adds a nice variable element to the process. Note: This option does not RESTRICT fueling to a specific area, but can be monitored by the Race Director and if the car is not in the "pit Area" a penalty can be assessed (Pause, Add lap(s) etc.)
        As for consumption... I don't necessarily like the Car's "Avg. Lap Time", variable because if a car has little or no laps on record the value is moot or, and regardless should be a Car/Driver combination not just the car. Therefore, I feel a user defined variable (by Class, by Track, by Vote) for an event selected under Heat setup and not Car specific is better.
        Low Fuel Warning - definitely needs to be a user definable factor due to all of the elements chosen and track characteristics as mentioned in original post. What goods a warning if it expires before you can react to it.
        What do you think? Can someone create a thread with possible options and a poll for assisting to know what is popular and thus suggesting where programing needs to go? After all, if its not what a majority want it may not be worth the effort to make it happen.

Comment

coded -> there is now a slider to setup the fuel warning level

Comment

Great, thanks for doing that so quickly Ricky.

Consequently I feel a bit bad about highlighting a related bug, so please forgive me...

When I set up a voiced warning when the car is low on fuel (i.e. at the same time that the LED starts blinking), the warning is repeated endlessly and gets stuck in a loop. It continues after refuelling, and even after completing the race. The only way to stop it is to exit UR and start again.

Please can it be set so the warning occurs just once when the LED starts blinking. (The message I have when the fuel is completely out - with LED constant - correctly plays just once).

Cheers,

James

Comment

this sound usage was initially designed for short sounds like alarms.

It's useless when the sound is too long. Your enhancement proposal is excellent => a warning is enough rather than a stupid alarm

I fix it

A 30r4 pre release is available for testing purposes here:
              http://uracer.org/URProject/Project.htm

Click on UR30 alpha/beta link to get it. Caution: there are bugs!

DO NOT REPLACE your release with one. Follow up instructions

I am currently working on a Hell of 3D rendering bug which makes me crazy.

Still some work to to do!
              Last edited by Ricky Torpedo; 05-11-2013, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Great - I'll try it later today!

Thanks - a single voiced warning also much better than a continuing alarm because it means that sometimes racers forget to refuel and so lose the race - Nya ha ha!

James

Comment

Just done a quick check:
                  - slider to adjust low fuel level warning - WORKING - tried a couple of different settings and warning kicked in at right time
                  - single warning for low fuel warning - NOT WORKING - still repeats until UR3.0 turned off
                  - 5lights go back out after resuming a paused race - WORKING

Not sure if all three issues were addressed in this pre-release, but hope it's useful to confirm what's working for me.

Cheers,

James

Comment

Thx James.

> single warning for low fuel warning
                    This one is not fixed => it was too late yesterday evening when I completed the publication.

My to-do-list is not empty, it's a pre release

Comment

Comment

I like your style myscalextric, trying to add video myself. Just how do you do it?

Comment

@Pepsikid: if you mean the YouTube video embedded in my separate Phidget thread, just make sure you're in Advanced posting mode (i.e. click Go Advanced button below the box if you're in Quick Reply) and there's a YouTube button on the far right - just put the video reference (not the whole url) in between the two mark-up codes i.e. the bit after "watch?v=" at the top of your browser when you're on the YouTube site.

So [Y0UTUBE]gxf-5Jl7KN0[/Y0UTUBE]" gives you (if you replace the zero in YOU with an "O"!)

[YOUTUBE]gxf-5Jl7KN0[/YOUTUBE]

Hope this makes sense and was what you were after.

James

Comment

[YOUTUBE]LoEc9ZefxJY[/YOUTUBE] Thanks, for the info myscalextric. The quality is not good but it was the 1st and shortest clip I could find for a test run.

Comment

Working...
                            X