Can't recognize laps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't recognize laps

I'm sure you are all tired of hearing this one, but I have tried everything and can not get ur30 to count laps. I have a carrera track with photo sensors installed as described on the web site. I am using pins 12 and 13. I have xenon light pucks ( like halogen) one for each lane.

My meter detects both lanes just fine at the pins when I cover the cells. I use lpt1 and in setup I can change pins 2 - 9 and they change color. At first when I would test the track by running a heat, nothing would happen. Now, pin 12 has a little red circle to the left of the "detect car in lane 1" description in setup.

I had started with pins 10 & 11, but tried going to 12 & 13. Still no luck. I also confirmed the lpt1 port is in ECP mode.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Make sure nothing else is assigned to the LPT port that has the red circle.
    See if a lap gets counted if you briefly connect your asigned port to a ground pin ie pin13 to pin25.
    Let's see what you got and then go from there.

Comment

As stated by 2fer slots first concern is the RED DOT you say you have. This is a notice of a conflict (normally 2 items on the same pin).
      (1) Check hardware config. screen to make sure two items are not assigned to the same pin.
      Don't forget to "scroll" all the way to the bottom of the Events list!

Once the conflict is removed, I'd strongly suggest closing UR30 and do a complete system re-boot. While its closed/re-booting I'd re-examine my wiring to the LPT, paying close attention to what pins I have wires too and what those wires are for. Sometimes, when there's a problem and you start juggling things or trying to make something work you might make a change and forget to change something back (Been there done that!).

If you use Pins 10, 11, 12, 13, & 15 "ECP" mode is a non-issue, therefore recommend using two of them first. Additionally, any or all of these could be in a green (HIGH State) upon booting. You can NOT change the state of an inbound pin using the LPT graphic and clicking on it as you can an "outbound" (2-9) one, however it should change in the graphic as signals are received.

Another suggestion, only do 1 lane at a time from wiring to testing, avoid as much confusion as possible. Good luck

Comment

Ok, I' m not sure what the conflict was, but I changed the circuit and both 12&13 went ok. I still got a " parameter is incorrect" with the second circuit too. Still no laps being counted.

I checked the pins again and they are correct. I will check them with the meter in the morning. Any chance the xenon lights are too bright? At 3" above the track two of them started to melt the track. I cut back to one and raised to 4".

I did shut everything down and restarted it. Still no laps.

Any other ideas?

Comment

"parameter incorrect" can be triggered by the scc circuit picture (see previous answer).

Have you cheked laps are dettected in HW device setup?

Comment

That's my problem. I can't get ur30 to recognize the photo cells.

Comment

I even removed my pci parallel port with a PCIe card. Still not working.

Comment

Trying to narrow the problem much further
                If you go to the hardware set-up screen with a picture of your lpt you should see a change of state(grey to green or vice versa) if you ground momentarily(touch to pin 25) 10,11,12,13 etc. this will tell you(and us) lots of things.
                This test doesn't care how the track is set up or about any parameters,just wires and your computer

Comment

How do I touch the pins. They are in the mail plug and to touch them I have to unplug it.

Comment

Male, not mail

Comment

A jumper wire at the connection to the photo cells should suffice.
                      Let's see what that does.

Comment

Ok, I linked two pin wires together and put one in 25 and the other end in 12 and then 13. No change whatsoever. I deleted the circuits in hardware config and setup a new one. No more " incorrect parameter " displays.

Why wouldn't ur30 react the 25 12 pins?

Comment

I also used the jumper at the photocell and no change.

Comment

Let's make sure you are on pins 12 and 13.
                            It is real easy to look at the diagrams they have posted backwards.
                            Get a magnifying glass and look at the end of the connector(at the computer,I'm assuming the other end has been cut off). Take your meter and make sure you are connected to the pin you think you are.
                            I am sorry if this sounds too simple,but it's the same mistakes I made and wish someone would have helped with .
                            If everything checks here and UR3.0 still doesn't see a change of state I'm afraid it is a computer hardware issue and I've got people for that 'cause I can't.

Comment

I have done this and the plug even has numbers. 12 13 &25 for sure

Comment

Working...
                              X