No announcement yet.

26x17 Routed 4 lane track layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of bridges, what you have in the most recent design is equal to a flat track (one loop in one direction per lap). The section that goes under the bridge and back could just as easily not.

Comment

Great, so the equal lap length problem got fixed. Thanks, I kept getting confused with that.

Comment

In this example, it doesn't matter that there's some track that overlaps. All of these are equal length designs, progressively simplified from right to left. What matter is that when they're simplified like this, there is essentially one clockwise loop and one counterclockwise loop.

Comment

Great, so the equal lap length problem got fixed. Thanks, I kept getting confused with that..
          What you have in post 15 is essentially like a flat oval track. The lane that is on the outside for most of the lap is longer than the inside. You've eliminated the 'double loop' that doubles the extra length.

If you had a rubber band shaped like the layout in post 15 and stretched it back out, it would be an oval. The various kinks that you straighten out are equal length for both lanes, but the inherent inside/outside difference is always the same.
          Last edited by thatguy01; 04-08-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

I guess I could add one more cross over on the two inside tracks of the long straightway.
            Version #2
            Last edited by newimaging; 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

I think post 20 basically is two loops going in the same direction, instead of in opposite directions.

In the attached picture, the short lane is 131 ft and the long lane is 135 ft.
              Last edited by thatguy01; 04-08-2012, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Layout #3

And I always thought I did pretty well in geometry thanks for your patins !
                Here is my last attempt, then I am calling it a day
                This layout #3 I might have to run the opposite direction, to keep the 270 degree turn from spitting cars into the orange out of reach box.

Comment

Don't get hung up on equal lane length. Racing involves each driver spending the same amount of time on each lane so everyone covers the same distance. Even if you do achieve equal lane length you'll find one lane to have inherent advantages over the other lanes. I would be much more concerned about line of sight for the drivers and ease of marshalling. Be sure to consider where the marsahlls will be be standing when checking for lines of sights from the driver stations. I think having all four driver stations along the long straight is best.

Comment

This will produce an equal length. You can replace the blue section with any flat design and it will be equal.

Comment

So after having my geometry skills humbled by you guys I decided to try to learn how to weld today and make the table frame. Went and got 120' of 2x2x1/8 steel L-Beams, borrowed a neighbors machine, and after a 5 minute lesson, started sticking metal together
                      Point of no return. Table size is now fixed.

Here is a picture of the outrigger, part of the 26' straight.

Comment

Full points for enthusiasm!

Comment

Substructure almost done

Here is a video of the first test of the frame structure lowering. Couple small adjustments needed to the winch alignment, but otherwise I am pretty happy. Should be able to start lining up the boards tomorrow and start drawing.

[YOUTUBE]R5t109SQfVI[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a still

Comment

I only just caught up with this thread

But I think you may be falling into

"slot design trap 3.1.0"
                            AKA "The new slotter wants to build the longest running length track possible"

Even with 6 lanes, a track of 100 to 120 feet means you will be driving around by yourself an awful lot, aware that you are chasing and being chased, but the "dices" will be a lot less common that the intervening lonely periods.

With 6 lanes, and only 2 cars max either side of you, there is planty of "road space" to be close without nerfing one another, and so a shorter track will probably be a lot more fun long term than one which is say 30% or 50% longer.

I thought the design by thatguy01 atr post #5 was the most "long time friendly"....
                            it WOULD be equal lane lengths, having jsut one crossover, but as you have worked out, equal lane lengths don't mean equal lap times, and equal THEORETICAL lap times on each lane aren't critical, as there are so many other variables, AND in club racing you will always move between lanes each heat to complete a full race, so everyone drives each lane anyway, which re-levels the field.
                            Actually, UN-EQUAL lap times can be good, as they create passing dices, which are a gret part of racing.

- for general background and interest, I'm a 5 year club racer, who started on a 100 foot 4 lane Ninco with magnets, but the whole club slid over to non-mag wood racing after about a year and a half.
                            Slightly outdated club promo video is first one on our site
                            HERE http://www.burmac.co.nz/hbmrc/index.html

Comment

Awesome job on the lowering mechanism! Keep up the good work!

Comment

I love the ability to raise and lower the track like that, very nice work so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X