Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volaterra Speedway under construction

After building my first track a little 14x3 thing. Seen Below:

I helped our local store owner build a track for a customer mainly to learn from a more experienced builder. Once completed I found myself wanting a bigger better track. This track even though I got it running and had fun, had too many draw backs and before starting the landscaping it was torn out.
    Last edited by Impulse-ive; 03-07-2016, 11:07 AM.

Then came the design phase. After 10 basic ideas. I pitched them to our track owner for input.

Some 15 or so drafts later we ended up with the design you see here. the reason for the odd shape was to help marshalling and to make it easier to sell to the wife so it would not look so imposing in the room. It already meant getting clearance to sell the pool table so I had to weigh my options for success.

Comment

Without leaving you in suspense too long I was able to get clearance for the plans and all activities needed to realize my vision. The pool table was sold and more wood was bought to start the table construction. The table was built in two pieces but I quickly learned my old house only had 6' doors not the normal 6'1/2" so that frame came apart and new 3 part table was constructed. (no picture of the failures)

The new table was moved in and with help from the store owner routing has begun.

Last edited by Impulse-ive; 09-16-2015, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Most of the track has now been joined and elevations are being created. once complete the last sections will be routed and installed. (we all know creating the banking tweaks the measurements)

Comment

Nice work, keep those pics coming!

Comment

Looking good......Theme for the scenics yet ?

Comment

That's looking really good!! Keep up the nice work!! Be great seeing the scenery come together too!!

Comment

Not really a theme...I was thinking at first an Arizona type rock formation theme but I might be beyond my ability to build. I also saw a track here with a cool quarry lake I wanted to try too. once I do more research on how to create these looks i'll make a decision.

Any Suggestions?

Originally posted by 2FER SLOTS View Post
                Looking good......Theme for the scenics yet ?

Comment

Here's the Finished elevations for the track that we have routed so far. Now we'll create a template for the last pieces to make sure they meet up well and can be banked to give the desired driving difficulties.

Last edited by Impulse-ive; 09-21-2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

And for a better feel of the track here is a side view. There is a heavy bank at the end of the straight away that turns to a slight drop after the 180o turn. That drop leads to a flat corner to slow the drivers down. It then continues its progression down to a set of Ss that are also flat. Again this is to keep the drivers from having too much fun and slowing lap times through the center section. As you come out of the Ss you find a heavy banked, downhill turn that you've been aching for after having to navigate the flats. It will let you open up the throttle and gain speed for a short steep climb to a banked turn that lets you grab throttle for the straight and its starts all over again.
                    Last edited by Impulse-ive; 09-22-2015, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Looking awesome bro!

Comment

Any updates/new pics?

Comment

Yeh, keep the pics coming. I put in just 1/2" bank on my single lane track, in a spiral section, and even that little bit makes a big difference.

Comment

I've been overseas for my grandmothers funeral for two weeks. There will be more updates soon. I hope to have it running by thanksgiving then it will be lots of scenery. :0)

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Look forward to seeing what comes next :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X