No announcement yet.

Steve McQueen Le Mans Tribute Track.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wanted to build a series of concessions type booths & an entrance to bathrooms that would fit under the 4 story Esso Grandstands complex. Rather than build it in place I'm building it separate at the workbench. When it's done it will just slip into place. Much easier than trying to work on the large & heavy complex all at once.

It's made out of white foam core with a few pieces of Evergreen Styrene corrugated material for the "shutters" for the booths. The graphics are just bits & pieces of menus, food/drinks and signs I found on the internet. Don't look too close. It was hard to find early 70's materials from France. While simple, I think it should look OK once I add some workers & some crowds standing in front of it.

Comment

This gigantic press tower/grandstand complex I'm building for the layout is going to be the death of me yet. It just never ends! It barely fits on my workbench. Will try & get some paint on it this weekend, then, I still need to add lighting, find appropriate sponsor signage, populate it with figures & add final details. This thing is a complete project all by itself! Perhaps one day this complex will find it's way onto a much larger layout than the one I'm building now.

Comment

Got some flat white spray paint on the Press Tower Complex. It will give it a little "tooth" for when I age & weather it. The main thing I wanted to show here is how it breaks down for maintenance & the construction process. In the end very few of these sub-assemblies will actually get glued together.

Comment

Making a bit more progress on the press tower/grandstand complex. Here is the very top floor. I still need to add at least rudimentary detail to the inside of the press/control room & antennas & satellite dishes to the roof.

Comment

What it looks like in place. Still need to add more signs, spectators etc.

Comment

That's incredible!

What a clever piece of construction, thanks for sharing.

Comment

I added a simple interior to the press box and detail (antennas etc) to the roof. The roof details are all just scraps of styrene & foam core, with a couple plastic shelf leg "plugs" used as drum antennas. Still need to add figures.

Questions?

Comment

I painted some more 1/32 Scale figures for my Le Mans layout. Most of these are the cheapo ones you can buy in bulk from China. My technique? Prime with flat tan spray paint. Paint flesh. paint clothes. Give figures a wash of brown to create shadows and depth. Questions?

They are still wet here because I just applied the wash. The sheen disappears when they dry.

Comment

Pro tip. I usually use figures that do not have a base and I just glue them in place on the layout. Once in awhile though I need to make certain figures 'movable", because I know I'll have to remove them for track or scenery maintance. My solution? I super glue 1" x 1" .015 clear Evergreen Styrene bases to the figures. Yes, up close you can clearly see the bases but from 2 or 3 feet away (top photo) they just about become invisible.

Comment

Still at it I see. That tower is massive. Great work

Comment

I finally got some of the figures I painted seated into the grandstands in the Le Mans ESSO Press Complex. I also added more signs, including the 4x white "ESSO" on the front. For that lettering I had a guy I found on ebay custom cut the lettering from vinyl. Cost was less than $10 for 4 the four signs. Also notice how the interior looks with a few figures placed inside. Even though it is very "spartan" it still kind of makes it look busy in there.

Comment

just read entire thread very inspiring thanks for sharing

Comment

A quick, cheap detail I added to the layout tonight. The grandstands seemed a little "sterile" so I made some trash barrels w/sponsors logos. These are simply paper, rolled around a brush handle & glued with a glue stick. I "aged" them a bit with chalk. They don't have bottoms but that won't show once I add a bit of scale "trash". Questions?

Comment

Wow, a master craftsman you are downtowndeco!!! Great work!

Comment

Thanks Dingle!

I was able to get the ESSO Press Tower lighted tonight. I still need to add a few more lights (on the stairs & I want a spotlight on the rooftop "ESSO" sign) but it's getting closer.

Comment

Working...
                                X