No announcement yet.

8' x 16' Carrera Digital Hoisted Layout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dont forget that adding scenery, buildings etc will add some weight.....not to mention kids leaning on the edge trying to get a good view of the action!

Comment

The track will only be suspended from the ceiling hoist to be raised and lowered. When in the up position, there will be (12) connections that "fix" it to the underside of the floor joists. When it's down, it'll be resting on the pool table... maybe some extra legs of the overhang is too much.

Comment

ok, just want to be sure youre safe. i know my scenery added weight. Also if you plan to paint the track do it before you add scenery. I painted after and it was a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by ATIS View Post
          Also if you plan to paint the track do it before you add scenery. I painted after and it was a pain.
          Good point, thanks for the advice! Did you just paint everything smooth, or add any textures? I would like to do some borders here and there, so guardrails don't keep cars on track, and I don't know if I'll texture them or leave smooth to simulate being out of the groove.

Comment

I painted the track with a roller using grey house paint. Then went around and misted the track with a little flat black rattle can. looled good but after running cars for a while you can see where the wheels make contact. looks sweet but cant get it to pick up in photos for some reason.

Comment

Pit row is trimmed to a single lane, and I have the infield transition pieced together now. Just need to connect jumper wires, and make lane change blocks, then I can test it out.

Drive link
              Last edited by Team Hoagie; 11-19-2017, 04:50 PM.

Comment

The infield transition is proving to be more difficult... the switching piece is what's hard about it. Going to have to try a few different things I've got a feeling.

Comment

I laid out some pieces trying to think of a way to incorporate sections of a left-to-right, and a right-to-left lane change I have left over and wasn't planning to use. I think I'll be able to make it work, and I think it'll turn out better than the original transition I had planned. It'll even add a certain degree of excitement I think. I'll update with pictures and opinion on how it works when it's in place and functioning as planned.

Comment

Looking forward to what you come up with.
                    Randy

Comment

Got it!! So I took the right-to-left, and put it inline with the inside lane and right after a double lane change coming out of turn #2. After getting it trimmed up, instead of the change rail staying straight at a diagonal until it connects to the other lane, I started it into a left-hand turn section. It continues as a left-hand single lane turn, then a short right into the left-to-right lane change. At that point it's back to two lanes for the rest of the infield.

I tested it making the decision to change lanes myself. When I'm by myself I may run it this way, but in the event of an actual race of many, I may tape the double and right-to-left lane changers to direct traffic to the infield... otherwise I can see people overshooting the turn often. I do like the challenge it adds of choking traffic down to a single lane, but we'll see how that actually plays out in racing.

Added some pics, and a video of all that. I also picked up phone cable extensions and couplings for spreading the controllers out around the track with (3) on each side. Should help with the track marshalling ;-) No pictures of that yet though.

Drive link
                      Last edited by Team Hoagie; 11-23-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Added pictures of the controller extensions using telephone wires and connectors. After having to trim off the clip tab that keeps the controller plug end captured, I zip tied it to the double female end phone line connector.

Also began prepping it to hoist. I added cross members under the table, drilled holes for the anchors, and put the anchors in. I used open hook style bolts instead of closes eye style. This way I can detach the cables when it's down to get them out of the way.

Comment

Laid out the winch and horizontal pulley boards last night, and I'm planning to get them mounted to the joists tonight. If I have time, I'm going to try and get the vertical pullies mounted as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Hoagie View Post
                            Winch & pulley boards mounted, and one set of cables ran. Need to get the other set ran, and mount the vertical hoist pullies.

Comment

Very cool.

Are you setting up the lane changers so that some racers are just the oval, and some include the infield, and have it be OUT of the control of the drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                                Very cool.

Are you setting up the lane changers so that some racers are just the oval, and some include the infield, and have it be OUT of the control of the drivers?
                                I've had the infield lane change set up both ways... drivers both in control and not in control of switching to the infield on their own. I preferred being in control as it adds another level of skill/difficulty to the racing. I have the Carrara X-Lap software, so when running a road race, a lap time filter can be set for those who "skip" the infield and act as a penalty lap monitor if the driver chooses not to self regulate their own penalty for skipping by waiting for the rest of the field to catch them on the reentry of the oval.

Both the infield and pit lane changes have their pros and cons of being left active for both race formats, and I'd say it's mostly a con when trying to race oval only. Accidental lane changes in the heat of racing will occur, due to the combo of speed and closeness of crossing lane changes, and always results in deslotting because of the speed. I've experimented with limiting the speed when racing oval to help reduce that. When I'm by myself, you can count on ALL SWITCHES being live ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X