No announcement yet.

Scenery Base

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scenery Base

    I'm using the recycled cotton material Fusion Fiber as my scenery base for my AFX four lane road course. Its lightweight, clean, can be colored with acrylic craft paint, can be stored in a covered container and placed in a fridge for days or weeks, and is easy to clean up. I use blocks of foam board or scrap wood to create the landscape elevations then cover it with self-adhesive nylon drywall tape. FF then applied using artist palette knives. It takes 24-36 hours to cure so there's plenty of time to get the look you want. Here's a video I found on YouTube that convinced me to give it a try:

    I'm not associated in any way with the makers or sellers of FF but I like to give credit when credit is due and so far I haven't found anything not to like.
    New batch of FF is in the lower-right of the image. Completed sectiions were finished using standard model RR scenery techniques.

  • #2
    If you look at pages 69 and 70 of the thread "Post Pics Of Your Home Tracks" in the HO forum, you'll see my track which also has the Fusion Fiber. I agree with all you said in your description of it. Yes, easy to use and looks great when finished. Saw a video like the one you posted and went with it and glad I did.

    Good looking track. I think the scenery adds so much to the realistic "feel" of the track.


    Here is a link to page 69:
    Last edited by Mini Mojo; 03-24-2019, 03:31 PM.


    • #3
      Thank you. I must admit that the look of your layout and scenery has been my inspiration. How you managed the elevation changes with plastic track is very impressive. The integration of your pit road with the powered sections is something I'd like to have done but space won't allow. Brilliant idea! I refer back to the photos you posted time and again. The grandkids love to race but I'm hooked on creating the scenery.


      • #4
        Most of the elevation changes weren't too difficult. The "bottom" of the dip under the vehicle bridge was the trickiest. Using long track sections as much as possible and "forcing" them down a little at a time over a couple of days worked by not bending them too much all at once. Fortunately, I didn't break any track and it worked the first time!

        There was a fair amount of planning on the layout as I wanted a fairly realistic look incorporating what you might see at an actual road course. And, actually races quite well.