New 4'x10' Design - StowAway Raceway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 4'x10' Design - StowAway Raceway

Hi all, I need help choosing one of these layouts I just came up with. I've decided to build a 4'x10' platform (green rectangle) and fill it with as much track as I possibly can! The limiting factor for equal track length is the 4' depth, so one lane will be roughly 4 feet longer than the other for every one of these layouts. The blue track is a 2/30 banked curve which I Love!! The more technical the layout, the better! I have the platform built, am waiting for the support legs and an overhead LED light to arrive, and have milled the 2 wall brackets I'll be using to support the track at the wall. I think I've decided on a power supply but didn't pull the trigger on it yet. This track will be stowed away flat against my garage wall when not in use. Which one would you want to run your cars on?

Here's the length for each lane in feet...
    Design 1 - L1 28.94 / L2 24.82 4x10 Design 1.JPG
    Design 2 - L1 30.34 / L2 34.46 4x10 Design 2.JPG
    Design 3a - L1 32.31 / L2 28.19 4x10 Design 3a.JPG
    Design 3b - L1 28.19 / L2 32.31 4x10 Design 3b.JPG
    Design 4 - L1 32.79 / L2 28.67 4x10 Design 4.JPG

All of those are inside loops, doubling the difference between lane lengths. They need to be outside loops, left turns instead of right turns, for the lane lengths to be even.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
      All of those are inside loops, doubling the difference between lane lengths. They need to be outside loops, left turns instead of right turns, for the lane lengths to be even.
      Thanks for the info! I'd be happy to see your design of a Carrera layout that maximizes the space of the 4x10, and has even lane lengths...

Comment

The frame is complete, now I'm waiting for the lumber yard to get sheets of 4x10 ply or MDF. When it's not in use it will hang on those wood hooks I made.
        IMG_6815 resized.jpg

Comment

Cramming Carrera into 4' wide is a challenge no matter how you slice it. Are you sure you can't get some more space for the layout?
          I have one that was designed by "Big Al" some time ago, but it's just over 4' wide, and 11' long. I've attached it below for your inspiration.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the inspirational layout! I'll look into it...
            Yes I know the 4' depth is the thorn in the layout - it cannot be larger, shy of an inch or two.

Comment

Well... I think I have a Final Design layout for the track I want to build. Thanks to "BigAl" via MrFlippant I have designed a layout with exactly the same length for Lane 1 and lane 2 - 40.9ft to be exact. Thanks a million Greg! How's it look? (blue is banked)
              4x10 Final Design.JPG

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Well... I have something set up to get my feet wet before I get the pieces needed to build the custom layout. I'm loving it, and my wife can't wait to put in grass and trees and race with me!! Temporary Track.jpg

Comment

...UPDATE...
                    I Just received the remainder of track I had in storage and was able to finally build StoweAway Raceway! I had to update the design from the Final Design a little because I didn't want to buy new track turns that were incorporated in the FD layout. Here's what it looks like (blue is R2 High Banked Curve) - and I gained 1.49 feet of track per lane! StoweAway Raceway Track Layout.jpg
                    I was pleasantly surprised when my wife said she wanted to help build it. I removed the temporary track, cleaned all the old track with a damp magic eraser and vacuum and we put it together! The green board (MDF) is actually 49" deep, so the track actually fits on it pretty well.
                    IMG_6895 Resized.jpg IMG_6897 Resized.jpgThe Mini was a present to my wife for incentive to race with me! She Loves it! IMG_6894 Resized.jpg
                    She can't wait to start adding grass and trees!! I'm stoked! Next I'll come up with a design to support the elevations and landscaping - I might include lights, not sure...

Comment

I finally got around to making the support for the elevation section of track - I used some very thin MDF with 1-1/4" wooden dowels with threaded inserts for 1/4"-20 bolts. Very sturdy. Now I have to figure out if I'll use regular guardrail or sections of outside border.
                      Can someone measure the width of a border piece and post it? A straight and a 1/60 curve? IMG_6932 Resized.jpg IMG_6934 Resized.jpg IMG_6936 Resized.jpg

Comment

The width of flat Carrera borders [both inner and outer] is exactly half of the width of standard Carrera pieces [which is 7 3/4", so 3 7/8"]. Banked inner borders are smaller [a hair over 1 1/2"]
                        Randy
                        Last edited by 32lbKING; 05-02-2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks Randy for that info!
                          I have border on order for the raised curve section and have figured out how I'll install fencing. 3 1/60 borders, 1 1/3rd and 1 1/4 borders are what I need.
                          The toughest part of this build was figuring out how to support the elevation of track once it's on the wall and wanting to fall to earth. I've got half it figured out! I'll update with pics soon.
                          Last edited by dinglebery; 05-05-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Construction is well under way and going smooth. Once this section is complete I've got to figure out the banked curve... metal angle bracket that mates with the track fastener holes would be ideal. Maybe I'll get some thin aluminum stock strips and bend it to shape to support the track. Lots of ideas...! IMG_6967 Resizezd.jpg IMG_6966 Resized.jpg

Comment

I ended up replacing the above MDF curve with a single cut sheet of styrene. I then glued Angle to the outside edge, and then strips to the outside Angle. That wall will serve 2 functions, first is a support for the track when it's hung on the wall and second is a retaining wall for a fence... and possibly some light poles!

The wife and I started doing some landscaping, and I think it's coming out great! More pics to come... IMG_7090 Resized.jpg
                              Last edited by dinglebery; 06-17-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X