New Scale?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scale?

I was browsing the internet, looking to add diecast vehicles for my TOMY layout (1/64 scale) when I came across a shop in the UK selling 1/70th scale cars and trucks. Has anybody experienced how the sizes compare to the slot cars? Are the sizes close enough to be believable?

HO slot cars are not made to any consistent scale, the bodies are made to fit a standard chassis that might have holes for two different wheelbases. Few HO cars are as large as 1/64th scale, if they were they would hardly fit on regular set type plastic track. When I programmed the software for my track I picked 1/72nd as the scale. The original Aurora HO cars were 1/76th scale while HO trains are 1/87th scale. I would say that 1/70th is close enough.

Comment

I usually pick 1/64 diecast, cheap and plentiful for things like Indycars, because model train 1/87 is just too tiny. But I have some gifts that are terribly out of scale, as my family seems to love me but cannot be made to understand scale. So I have a BMW Isetta that is nearly as tall as the British double decker bus I was also given. And if these cars make it across the pond I certainly should proudly display them. Except for my precious 1/43 Paul's Model Art Porsche 911, that is mint in box with original price sticker in Euros. Someone must love me, those things are not cheap!

Comment

Hi all. I think the original Triang trains were 1/72nd or OO scale but ran on HO track. Regards Chas Le Breton

Comment

Working...
        X