Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Album Grand Circuit de Gand

Hello,

Some pics and info of our Carrera Digital 132 track, with theme the city of Ghent in Belgium.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Pierre

Also a lap with on-board camera:

[YOUTUBE]dJWdTAMvV9c[/YOUTUBE]

And a shoot out race from beginning to end:

[YOUTUBE]GtMLTsveNQg[/YOUTUBE]

We hope you enjoyed this.
    Last edited by Pierre Menard; 06-12-2015, 06:53 AM. Reason: Adding link to another video

Well, at least an other slot car enthusiast in the city of the "3 torens", Tsjoak Van Artevelde and "'t Groavenkasteel" !

Comment

Carrera digital circuit

This looks like a fantastic digital circuit. While I have very little digital slot car experience, this looks like a great place to learn the ins and outs of digital racing.

Thank you for posting.

Comment

You are welcome. Indeed, my two kids and myself have a lot of fun with this circuit (not to mention all the friends that we have to host now!). It is a great hobby and great to keep generations doing something together.

Comment

Originally posted by Vee8 View Post
          Well, at least an other slot car enthusiast in the city of the "3 torens", Tsjoak Van Artevelde and "'t Groavenkasteel" !
          I hope there are more! Who knows, maybe Major Termont sees this post and decides to have a talk with Bernie Ecclestone

Comment

Hello,

Can you provide a list of he components (straights, curves/type, etc) and quantities used in this layout? It looks very interesting and I would like to see what other parts i would need to duplicate it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, correct?

Thanks

Greg

Comment

Nice work. How did you make the on-board camera?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisngreg View Post
                Hello,

Can you provide a list of he components (straights, curves/type, etc) and quantities used in this layout? It looks very interesting and I would like to see what other parts i would need to duplicate it. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, correct?

Thanks

Greg
                Hello, Greg,

Indeed, we are flattered (my kids and I)! And glad you think it is an interesting circuit. I will try to help you with the parts you need.

For the design I used Ultimate Racer, which contains a library of Carrera Digital parts. In the following images you can easily identify each part with the corresponding reference number (but please notice the warnings below regarding reference numbers!):

The following table should match the parts used in the layout, but I strongly advice you to double check:

Reference Section name Total used
                20509 Standard straigth 9
                20571 Curve 1/60 10
                20577 Curve 1/30 12
                20611 1/3 straigth 8
                30341 Pit Stop straigth 1
                30342 D132 Electronic lap counter 1
                30343 D132 Lane Change Section Left 1
                30344 D132 Blackbox 1
                30347 D132 Double lane change section 1
                30356i D132 - Pit lane in 1
                30356o D132 - Pit lane out 1
                30362c D132 - Lane change curve - left, in to out 1
                30362s D132 - Lane change curve - left, in to out 1
                30364s D132 - Lane change curve - right, in to out 1
                30365c D132 - Lane change curve - right, out to in 2
                30365s D132 - Lane change curve - right, out to in 2

Note that the layout would allow you to place the lane changers in other places, so you can play a bit around with some options. You may even add some lane changers, but maybe that is not so desirable.

Let me know if you need further help!

Best regards,

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by PeteB View Post
                  Nice work. How did you make the on-board camera?
                  Thanks for the compliment. I will try to briefly explain how we made the on-board camera.

We used a webcam Logitech C270 HD. We attached the camera with a simple elastic to one of the cars, as shown in these pictures:

Because of the rather slow speed the camera would not move too much, but surely there are ways to improve the fitting of the webcam to the car.

The camera was connected the USB port or our laptop by using an extension cable (3 or 4 metres long, I believe). All materials shown here:

We programmed two additional cars as ghost cars, but not at a very high speed. We tested that the ghost cars would make the whole circuit without getting stuck somewhere.

The car carrying the camera is places last in the start grid. My son controlled the start button of the black box and the camera car. I made sure that the usb cable would and the extension
                  would go forward with the car.

We started the recording software delivered with the camera and adjusted the camera settings.

Next, we started the recording and launched the cars. Note that they do not need to go really fast, rather the opposite, to be able to capture images that can actually be clear enough.

When I felt that the cable would not reach further I simply screamed "stop" and my son would push the start button. This causes all cars to stop simultaneously. We would carefully re-positioned the extension cord and the laptop to allow for the next chunk of the recording. When ready, my son would start a new recording and hit the "start" button again.

This procedure was repeated until we made a whole lap with all three cars.

Afterwards we used video editing software to cut the videos, basically removing the 'still' phases. No further effects were required to render the sense of speed, even though the cars were actually not going so fast.

You will not believe this, but it all went quite fast. The result is all based on the first attempts! By investing some more time and preparations I am pretty sure we could even largely
                  improve the quality of the on-board camera takes.

I hope this description was clear enough.

Regards,

Pierre

Comment

Yes, we excist

Comment

There are others, although moved to the vlaamse ardennen

Comment

Working...
                      X