Track layout Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track layout Size

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to 1/32 slot car world. I am looking to do a drop platform from my garage ceiling so my tow kids and I can race anytime we want without having to set things up and tear the, down at the time. Contralled by a winch to have it go up and down. My boys are 6 and 9 years old and are really excited about this, but I want make it fun for both them and me.

In my garage the maximum width I can go is 14'. But when it comes to the width I can go anywhere from 5' up to 8'. As you can see i am planning on going in between to the two black beams. So, i am wondering if there is a width in that range that is better then another? For example it does not make any sence to do 5' width, because all your turns would be too tight and it would not be any fun for you and then kids.

Secondly, if anybody has any layout recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to have 1 or 2 cross overs, pit lane, the old high banked turn, a hair pin turn, a long stretch - the length of the table.

FYI I acquired two sets of Scalextric with several car.

Thank you for your time,

Layout width

I wouldn't go any wider than 7 feet unless you can walk all the way around the track or plan using grabbers to reach deslotted cars.There are plenty of good layouts that don't have too many tight corners in 4 to 6 feet width.For length i would go as long as possible but use the KISS method when designing the track as too many people try to put as much track as possible in the available space where more often than not less is more and provides more flowing and enjoyable track.

Comment

There's a lot to be said for having the whole of the track reachable. Normal height adults can reach up to about 4 feet, so that limits width to 8 feet assuming there is access to both sides. Younger children will have less reach, but if there is someone taller available that isn't necessarily a problem.

Of course much wider tracks are fine with gaps in the middle for access instead of a solid rectangular table.

Long handled grabbers can be used to extend your reach, and may be a good solution for the children until they grow taller.

Comment

I have a 12x9 carrera layout. I have access to both long sides and with a grabber I can get to any deslots. I would recommend going 14x7 or 14x8 with a grabber...if you can access both long sides. The longer straight will give you the option to go with a longer pit row and a long straight away in front of the drivers station. Something I did to help my 3 yr old was not use any r1 curves...i used a bunch of r2 and r3 mixed to get various radius turns which helped reduce deslots and let him carry extra speed through the turns. It flows nice but he deslots in the first and last turn. Lol

Comment

I think 12 feet X 5' 4" (64") is a nice table size for a two lane Scalextric layout. You can make the tabletop from two 4x8 sheets with one cut of each.

This is about 45 feet of track in 12 x 5' 4". I don't have the current Scalextric digital accessories in my design program, so I cant show how a pit lane etc fits.

Comment

Since you are using Scalextric track, 6 feet is probably wide enough to make a variety of good tracks. Anything 12 to 14 feet long is going to be fun. If possible, try to make the more curvy parts closer to the edges of the table instead of right in the middle. The curviest bits are where the cars will come off the most, so you will constantly be reaching there to put cars back in the slot.

It may be easier to draw a layout with straights around the edges, but the driving is less fun when you have to frequently stop everything while someone reaches across the track to get their car. Every track has compromises, but try to put the twisty bits in places that are easy to reach from the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumPhil View Post
              Since you are using Scalextric track, 6 feet is probably wide enough to make a variety of good tracks. Anything 12 to 14 feet long is going to be fun. If possible, try to make the more curvy parts closer to the edges of the table instead of right in the middle. The curviest bits are where the cars will come off the most, so you will constantly be reaching there to put cars back in the slot.

It may be easier to draw a layout with straights around the edges, but the driving is less fun when you have to frequently stop everything while someone reaches across the track to get their car. Every track has compromises, but try to put the twisty bits in places that are easy to reach from the edge.
              This is good advice.

Since you have the space, and assuming you're going for a 2-lane track, consider putting two plywood sheets to make a 12x8 L shape. It would allow for a 90 degree sweeper after the long straight, and some varied turns while still keeping all the track within easy reach.

Edit, I forgot about the pulley system. Will an L shaped table still work, or is that going to complicate things?
              Last edited by Bugleboy10; 04-21-2016, 08:20 AM.

Comment

If the OP is thinking of a winched table, I wouldn't use an L. Also, I assume that it's digital with the pit lane, so visibility of multiple drivers is a concern. The inside elbow of the L is a poor place to stand.
                Last edited by thatguy01; 05-03-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Hello, no I was not planning on doing an L shape right now. I have 9 and 6 year old that will be racing as well.

That's great advice on putting the turns to the outside and the straight in the middle.

And yes I do plan on using a winch system of some sorts.

So talking about platform setups has anybody ever used this blue insulation foam board for houses for their platform? It would definitely cut down on the weight. I saw this picture on a train board. I thought it was a great idea.

Comment

How tall will the surface of your track be? I am in the process of building two 4x8 tables for an L-Shaped track, I have them at 40 inches tall right now but that seems a little too tall. Sorry for the Thread Jack.

Comment

For what it's worth... I have one section of my table that is 6' wide and is accessible from one side only. I knew it would be a pain so I made it an elevated straight section with no lane changers. So driving it hasn't been an issue but landscaping and any sort of maintenance is a challenge.

Comment

40" is too tall, IMHO. Unless you really want to feel like you're standing on the ground at a real race track, and don't have anything obstructing the view of the cars while racing (landscaping, bridges, buildings) AND don't have a wide layout making it hard to reach crashed cars in the middle.

I recommend 30" as a MAX for the actual table-top height from floor. Lower is better. If you have table walls, then put the top of the walls at 30" and your table top below that.

When the table (and walls) are lower, it's a LOT easier to reach for cars in the center of a 6' (or wider) table, or across a 4' wide table, especially helpful when the table is against a wall.

But, that's me. I'm sure others will have their own preferences.

Comment

Hot Slots 132 has a great article on building a layout, including considerations for table height.
                          https://www.hotslots132.com/designin...ble-a-119.html

Mine is probably going to be 27.5" high (27" table legs with a 1/2" thick top) with 2.5" high borders and a max reach of 24". The main reason for this is to put another 1/2" sheet on top and use it for a party table (with waterproof cover over the whole thing) so I need 24" under the frame for legs and the top no higher than 31" to eat off of.

Our local shop track seems to be much higher, which is easy on the back when marshalling, but the reach is tough and small children have almost no chance of retrieving their cars without adult help.

Comment

Thanks Guys, easier to cut down now than later.

Comment

If you're planning on storing stuff underneath, make sure that there's enough clearance for storage. I use a lot of 15 gallon boxes, and it's just luck that my table is just high enough to allow two stacked boxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X