Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Slot Car Illustrated Forum (http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/index.php)
-   The Paddock (http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada (http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=27001)

challenger 01-02-2009 12:35 PM

O'Connor Hobbies, Toronto Ontario Canada

My interest in slotcars began as a teenager growing up in the 70's in Toronto. I started with an H.O. set on a 4' x 8' sheet in my room and quickly graduated to other types of racing after a visit to a local store, O'Connor Hobbies. Probably most SCI members in my age group from this area can say they set foot in this store between 1966 - 1978. It featured a killer 1/24 scale wing car track upstairs and two more wooden tracks downstairs, a "Baby King" H.O. track and a 1/24 scale 8 lane that usually hosted womp-womp races. I have one photo that I'm going to post of the store and that's it, I'm wondering if anyone has additional photos they would like to share, or, if you have a similar story regarding a local shop growing up that influenced your attraction to this hobby please share it with us.

Thanks ( see if you can identify a famous Canadian slot racer : )

http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...&pictureid=999

( I will give you a hint, he's also a slotcar store owner and chassis manufacturer )

:canada::USA:

RichD 01-02-2009 12:47 PM

I was in the hobby for a number of years before the first commercial raceway opened up in my area. It was 1965 and the track was Motorama Raceways in Uncasville, CT. The place stayed open for a bit over two years.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aFirstRace.jpg

challenger 01-02-2009 01:16 PM

great photo ! are you the fifth guy from the left ?

Motorcity Raceway 01-02-2009 04:06 PM

challenger, Is that Ernie 3rd from left, WOW I remember O'Connor thats where it all began for me then the first Raceworld

challenger 01-02-2009 05:17 PM

Hey Phil,

It's Mr. Ernie Mossetti ! ( third from right actually ) Former World Champion Scott Wiley is third from the left !

:canada::canada::canada:

RichD 01-03-2009 09:07 AM

Challenger, yes!

Racerdoug 01-03-2009 10:30 AM

No pictures,but plenty of memories....1966-1970-every friday night after work my father would come home,pick up me,my brother,and my sister and off to the track we would go.There was a place in Hatboro Pa. on Old York rd. that had a couple tracks and a bunch of pool tables. The coolest thing I can remember is there was a Bridge that spand the track to acsess the middle sections of the track for marshling.As little kids,that was our job.Great memories!After all the tracks closed,we raced HO for about 10 years(70'-80')Once I started to drive I lost interest in "toy cars".Now that i'm older (and smarter) i'm back to the Hobby that I loved so much as a kid.And i got my father back into it too!Having a race tonight and he'll be here with his Slot-it Ferrari 312 & his F-40 I bought him for Christmas.Funny how life seems to come full circle.:nod:

endbelldrive 01-03-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by challenger (Post 261424)
Hey Phil,

It's Mr. Ernie Mossetti ! ( third from right actually ) Former World Champion Scott Wiley is third from the left !

:canada::canada::canada:

That looks like Joe Guts (Mike Power) on Ernie's right.

challenger 01-03-2009 11:06 PM

to Ernie's right ( left in the photo ) is John DePompa, to Ernie's left is Ron Grey. Joe Guts ( Mike Power ) is not in the photo but he did attend the Brant's Hatch 1/24 Club race in Toronto with us tonight. I am posting the pics from tonight's event under our thread in the " Clubs " section on SCI

endbelldrive 01-04-2009 12:17 PM

John DePompa? Boy...is he skinny in that picture! :shocked: :D

cheers,

Bob S.:typing:

f1nutz 01-04-2009 03:57 PM

Never made it to O'Conner when I was a kid having grown up in the sticks in Bolton. The only track I visited I believe was in Lorne Park with my uncle when I was 5 or 6 yers old. It left a lasting impression and I later inherited my uncle's slot car magazines when he outgrew slots which I scoured over for years later. Recently I found a short snip of footage on some old family super 8 movies showing my older brothers' race set in the late 60's.

challenger 01-04-2009 06:22 PM

Lorne Park, was that Rigby's Hobbies ?

f1nutz 01-05-2009 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by challenger (Post 262038)
Lorne Park, was that Rigby's Hobbies ?

I am not sure the name and am only guessing that is where we were since its the closest track I've heard of near my grandparents house in Port Credit. It may have just been called Lorne Park Hobbies or Raceway.
Wasn't Rigby's near Yonge/Sheppard? I can't remember.

challenger 01-05-2009 07:59 AM

Yonge St. north of Sheppard was a store called Keith's Hobbies. It was at that location until last year.

Oldkid 01-05-2009 08:30 AM

From what I remember, Rigby's was on Bloor St near Jane in the west end of Toronto. Run by Bud Shapiro who also had a 1/2 hour tv show (on the community cable channel) featuring different hobbies.