View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Championship Contender
View fastlap's Photo Album

I found it very helpful to go to youtube and type in titles like HO scenery, HO Landscaping, etc.

Yes, a lot of it will be experimentation and minor lost $$ on supplies where it doesn't turn out the way you want it. But I learn a few tricks on my own that weren't in the videos. I also "really like" to make and fabricate my own diorama accessories. Just like the Jersey Barriers. No one makes them in our scale, so I made my own. Making them from resin made them indestructible, but also expensive!! I took a hint from Downtowndeco (Randy) and bought a $25 50lb. bag of Hyrocal and make them for pennies!! That's the cool stuff that makes the R&D worth it.

Which brings me to your point. How do we learn this stuff or where can we go to pickup hints or tutorials? Try some modeling RR sites. Our own SCI has a very cool section of Track Layout and Scenery at the bottom of the main Forum page. Even though mostly in 1/32 scale, there are a lot of good ideas and hints there. This hobby is fun and All good in the Hood!!!

Link to the Scenery, Layouts, and Scenery page on SCI;
I found it very helpful to go to youtube and type in titles like HO scenery, HO Landscaping, etc.
Yes, a lot of it will be experimentation and minor lost $$ on supplies where it doesn't turn out the way you want it. But I learn a few tricks on my own that weren't in the videos. I also "really like" to make and fabricate my own diorama accessories. Just like the Jersey Barriers. No one makes them in our scale, so I made my own. Making them from resin made them indestructible, but also expensive!! I took a hint from Downtowndeco (Randy) and bought a $25 50lb. bag of Hyrocal and make them for pennies!! That's the cool stuff that makes the R&D worth it.

Which brings me to your point. How do we learn this stuff or where can we go to pickup hints or tutorials? Try some modeling RR sites. Our own SCI has a very cool section of Track Layout and Scenery at the bottom of the main Forum page. Even though mostly in 1/32 scale, there are a lot of good ideas and hints there. This hobby is fun and All good in the Hood!!!

Link to Track, Layouts, and Scenery at the bottom of the SCI Forum page;
http://www.slotcarillustrated.com/po...splay.php?f=27

self made Jersey Barriers like seen on street courses and most real race tracks;

self made Jersey Barriers like seen on street courses and most real race tracks;

Last edited by fastlap; 01-13-2019 at 11:07 AM.