MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Scale Racing > HO Scale Slot Cars

Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM
Championship Contender
View el gecko's Photo Album

Default Narrow wheels/tires for Wizzard Storm Extreme?

Awhile back I bought a Wizzard ceramic SS, and since then I've killed the sili-sponge tires that came on it and replaced them with .250 BSRT rims with silicone Super Tires. The setup works great, and I would like to keep running it, but it won't fit through a tech block, so I can't race the car in its current config. I'm also planning to start working on a super fast neo chassis soon and I want to get the rear end situation figured out before I commit to the build.

So for those of you who run the Storm Extreme, what kind of aftermarket double flange wheels and silicone tires do you prefer and why? Is there a certain width that works the best or has the most tire options? If I get some factory narrow Wizzard wheels, can I get aftermarket tires that will fit on them?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM
International Racer
View JimDouglasJr's Photo Album

Location: San Francisco, Twin Peaks area. Stop over and check out my collection and view.

How close is it? Maybe you can shave the outer edge off.
Supers shouldn't need an outer flange to stay put.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Championship Contender

Not close enough unfortunately, about .07" off. The old sili-sponge are .230" wide and the BSRT .250 rims are .300" wide.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 AM
National Racer
View AptosC6's Photo Album

Use Quicker .275 narrow rims and narrow compound B Supertires. These are available from many sources (I get mine from Lucky Bob and/or Supertires).
Old 05-19-2017, 11:19 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

You may be in luck. I am in the process of converting my older Storm SS cars to run in a Spec Stock class. Those cars must have slip-on tires. Super Tires has four diameters in the 200 series to fit narrow .250 wheels, however the largest of those would likely be too small unless you went to bigger diameter wheels. Right now I still have silicone on sponge tires on the cars and on my MaxTrax 0.446 is about as low as I can go. I have BSRT narrow .275 wheels on the way and I estimate that with those I can get 0.445, 0.449, 0.453 or 0.457 inches. Going to a larger diameter wheel does not quite get you a proportional increase in tire diameter because the tires compress a little. I only allowed 0.001 inch to compensate for that, the tires might actually be a tic smaller in diameter.
Super Tires is also selling narrow Quicker wheels in seven sizes: .225, .237, .250, .262, .275, .278 and .300 inches. There is a chart on the Super Tires site that shows the mounted diameters of the Tyco series tires on those wheels, but I could not find one for the 200 series tires except on .250 wheels.
I believe that the 200 series tires have a slightly smaller ID than the Tyco series, I will have to check on that.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Championship Contender

Thanks, that's good info guys.

Rich, let me know what you find out about the 200 series mounted on a .275 rim.

The .250 should work for SS, but I think I want a larger diameter rim for the high downforce neo car I want to build.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:25 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

None of the 200 series will work on my MaxTrax with a .250 inch wheel, the rails are 0.018 inches high. With Viper cars, and probably BSRT G3 cars I can do 0.432s on 0.250 wheels. On the Quicker 0.262 wheels I can use 0.420s to get a mounted diameter of 0.431 inches.
You did not say what sort of track you were running on, with high level neos you could start to pull the rails up on regular plastic track.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:22 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I got some BSRT narrow 0.275 wheels today, they are actually 0.274 inches in diameter according to my NIST certified calipers. Super Tires 200 series .420 tires have a mounted diameter of 0.441, .424s = 0.445, .428s = 0.448. I do not have any .432 tires. The tires ended up having a smaller mounted diameter than I expected. Since these are slip-ons I will start with the 0.448 inch diameter on my Wizzard Storm cars and then try the 0.445s.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:13 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I was able to use the .420 tires on the BSRT .275 wheels for a 0.441 mounted diameter. The .444 silicone/sponge tires that were on the car caused the car to bottom out here and there. The silicone/sponge tires must compress more than the slip-ons. I will have to order some Quicker 0.262 wheels to see if I can go a little lower. I will probably need a smaller diameter wheel/tire combo to run on other tracks in any case.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:16 PM
National Racer
View Super Tires's Photo Album

Hi Guys,

Rich D is a great Super Tires promoter and tester.
Here is a picture of our Super Wheels by Quicker.

There are 2 widths available, the narrow .225” width which fits
our Super Tires .200 Series and the regular .300” width which
fits our Super Tires Tyco Series, .270" wide. Both the narrow
and regular widths are available in 7 sizes (from .225” O.D. to
.300” O.D.) and colors. Here is the link to our Super Tires &
Quicker Engineering H.O. Scale Wheel Fitment Chart:
http://www.supertires.com/super-tire...fitment-chart/

Any questions, contact [email protected].

Club discount prices are available, just ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Super Wheels by Quicker 3.jpg (98.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-23-2017, 05:30 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Great! I have more wheels and tires on the way and I will post a chart with all of the combinations of the four sizes of 200 series tires and .237, .250, .262 and .275 inch wheels.
I suppose it does not matter much what mounted diameter you end up with if you are not going to race as long as the chassis does not drag on the rails. People that race their cars tend to be more fussy.
On my MaxTrax I am using 0.441 inch diameter tires on my Wizzard Storm cars and 0.430 inch diameter tires on my BSRT G3 and Viper cars.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Championship Contender

Thanks, guys. Sounds like the Quicker .225 wheels and some narrow Super Tires could be the winning combo. I'll have to stop by Lucky Bob's again soon
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I spoke to Nick of Super Tires today and he is including all of the sizes of Quicker wheels that I don't already have. When those arrive I will complete the chart and post it. Nick also mentioned that he is considering making four larger diameter narrow tires.
I recently became more aware of what I call the squish factor. Because I am a tester for Super Tires I was already aware that if you put the same tire on progressively larger diameter wheels the increase in the mounted diameter is not strictly proportional, hence the need for a chart with actual measurements. Now I ran into a related issue that I mentioned in another post. I was comparing silicone on sponge tires to slip-on silicone tires and I found that to get the same track clearance you need to use slightly smaller diameter slip-ons. If I recall correctly the difference was about 0.003 inches. Apparently the silicone tires will compress more when the car is on the track, so you will need larger diameter tires to get the same rolling diameter. I was doing my comparison with somewhat higher magnetic downforce cars, like Wizzard Storms, BSRT G3s and Vipers. With cars like Tycos that do not have as much downforce the difference would not be so great.
I intend to continue this in the Super Tires section, so you might want to check on that from time to time.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Since this thread started with a question about tires for a Storm Extreme there is another issue to consider when selecting tires. Storm Extremes have neo traction magnets which are stronger that the ceramic grade polymer magnets that come with regular Storm cars. You might want to go to a harder/larger diameter tire with an Extreme. When you stretch a tire over a larger diameter wheel the mounted diameter will increase as you would expect, but the tire will also get harder. A harder tire will have a little less grip and a little less rolling resistance. When I was testing various combinations of wheel and tire diameters for T-Jet cars you could easily see the effects. The softer combinations would be faster in the corners and the harder combinations would be faster down the straights. Those cars have minimal magnetic down force, with a high downforce car the loss of grip by using a harder combination is no longer an issue in my experience. There could easily be an advantage to using a harder combination, but at this point I have not tried to quantify the difference.
I may get ambitious enough to do some testing of that sort in the future. I will need to assemble some spare rear axle assemblies with different diameter wheels in order to do that.
Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
Championship Contender

Thanks, Rich. I too have recently become aware of the amount of "squish" on certain tire/rim combos. I don't have an actual Storm Extreme (yet) but this research will help inform both my tuning on that car as well as getting my ceramic super stock Storm dialed in. Is the "Extreme" Storm just the version that comes with neo mags? I don't know the model differences yet.

I agree with you about the sili-sponge vs. slip on difference. Sili-sponge definitely squishes more and their diameter changes more than slip ons, so I get less rail dragging and more predictable handling with slip ons, even on my ceramic SS chassis. My lap times are more consistent and ever so slightly faster, I crash less, plus I have an easier time cleaning slip ons between heats. Sili-sponge is an expensive commitment to make, and I don't like having to get new wheels and tires after every single race. Another thing I'm thinking is to ONLY use sili-sponge for racing, and slip ons for practice. That would probably be the best course of action, although I'd have to pony up for a bunch of gear up front so I could pre-build a few rear axles and just swap out as necessary.

My high DF neo and P10 cars (non-Wizzard) have .275 wheels with slightly larger tires than optimal, and they're nice and fast on the straights yet still stuck down in the corners. I could make them handle slightly better with lower tires, but I'm already risking overheating as it is. Based on that experience, I'm thinking .275 rims should be good for a neo Storm Extreme (maybe .300 if I get into REALLY high downforce magnets), and .250 for ceramic SS, with the right tire heights of course. I run .250 tires on other cars with low-level neos and below (stock ceramic, poly 4, etc.). I would like to try sili-sponge on a gravity car, as I think that's where they would be most effective, but the lack of longevity really turns me off since I only run gravity at home for fun.

One thing I'm starting to realize, based on your measurements, is that I can probably run the same tires on different rims on both ceramic and neo cars. The .250 for the ceramic should be quite close to Super Tires' intended final diameter, and the .275 should push the neo chassis away from the rails just enough to avoid overheating. This is all hypothetical still, but I'm thinking it could work.