MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 PM
International Racer
View Wood0209's Photo Album

Default Kids just wanna have fun!

So my daughters had a couple friends over today and the decided to hit up the slot cars. The girls were pretty excited about it in general as it was the first time they got to "break out" the new race cars they picked up last night while I picked up some banked curves.

All of the cars were set to 10% power and 10% brakes. Some cars ran better than others, but we weren't running real races and pit stops were turned off. This kept the cars on the track allowing them to race, the only de-slots were caused by wrecks during lane changes.

A table will be in the works shortly.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:50 AM
Top Qualifier
View dw5555's Photo Album

It's nice that you can keep them interested. While speed is always a factor, keeping the cars on the track is a higher priority. Nothing makes them lose interest more than constantly going and putting their car on the track. Yes their are people that are going to say it makes em learn to drive the car. While that is true you have to keep them interested long enough to teach them. Good job.

Dave
Old 06-18-2017, 02:15 PM
International Racer
View Wood0209's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5555 View Post
It's nice that you can keep them interested. While speed is always a factor, keeping the cars on the track is a higher priority. Nothing makes them lose interest more than constantly going and putting their car on the track. Yes their are people that are going to say it makes em learn to drive the car. While that is true you have to keep them interested long enough to teach them. Good job.

Dave
Thanks.

Had it been just my oldest daughter and the oldest boy, I would have likely bumped up the speed a notch. My youngest prefers to have her speed limited, and the two boys had no prior experience with slot cars. So I figured (and luckily got away with it) that the best approach would be to limit the speeds for all of them while they learned the digital aspect of it all. And as the race progressed, I could see them using the lane changes for their advantage to hit the inside lines, etc to make some ground or make the pass. The track was a bit "dirty" so the back ends did slide out somewhat, thus scrubbing off some speed, making it more of a "race" than one would expect on such low speeds.

Now I just need to learn how to tune these cars in hopes of making them run more equally, but without actually modifying them in any way.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:53 AM
Top Qualifier
View dw5555's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood0209 View Post
Now I just need to learn how to tune these cars in hopes of making them run more equally, but without actually modifying them in any way.
I noticed in another post your were having difficulty with one car. You already have checked all the main points for loss of performance without success. There is nothing wrong with increasing the power setting from car to car to make them run equally. Even new cars will vary. That's the beauty of digital. I have cars that vary up/down in power 30% from baseline. No biggie.

Dave
Old 06-19-2017, 07:55 AM
SCI Administrator
View kidvoltage's Photo Album

It's also possible that the car in question has already been set to a lower power rating. A reset may be just the thing there. As it goes, you can't actually check the current setting level of each car with the system, all you can see at the control unit is the last level set and it may not relate to the car you are checking so when in doubt, reset the level at the car and retest.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM
National Champion
View DaveKennedy's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood0209 View Post
Trying to get parity between the cars is something that is always a goal with family racing for sure.
Generally you can get them close by having the power adjusted for each car individually. You also mentioned the cars sliding out a bit, if you haven't already, buy lots of Lint Rollers to keep tires clean and that will help back end drift.
You may never get the cars identical (because different cars are different and always will perform differently) but you can get the close.