AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-18-2017, 06:05 AM
National Racer
View fasterslots's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlab View Post
No, this is not a Group 5 car. Basically Procar series cars which in turn looks pretty much like the road-going M1's. Does not have the Gp 5 exaggerated air intakes and flares and hence a touch narrower, particularly in rear track.

Still a lovely slot car though! Not quite up to the Racer Gp 5 M1's performance potential but comparable to many Slot.its on wood.

Alwyn
Well what class would this car run in?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:01 AM
Championship Contender
View SuperSlab's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterslots View Post
Well what class would this car run in?
Hhmm, this really is not my field of expertise and in looking at the rules for Gp 4 - 5 in those years (Wikipedia), they seemed rather.. fluid!

But a quick check shows that the Gp 4/Procar style cars participated in endurance races of for instance 1979 - 1980. M1's with this body style participated in a.o. the 1979 and 1980 le Mans 24 hour race against recognised Gp 5 cars such as the Porsche 935, Ferrari 512 and Lancia Beta. If you are so inclined you could use the car against those and still be "period correct", but you will be at a disadvantage to the full Gp 5 cars due to the aforementioned dimensions.

It appears as if the car ran in the IMSA category in those races FWIW. If you take a look at the grid for the 1979 - 1980 le Mans I think you would get a good idea as to the cars it competed against.

I tend to run mine in our local "Open" (anything goes...) class. Good luck with finding a home for this class of cars in your own group!

Alwyn
Old 06-18-2017, 11:35 AM
Championship Contender
View Alcopa's Photo Album

The ProCar BMW M-1's ran in the one-car Series because production was not large enough to homologate them for any other Class. Finally they made it into Group 4 and 5

At the NCSRA Club, we debated putting them into Group 4 (Porsche 934, 911, Capri's etc.) but as they are low and wide (and the FLY ones particularly..). They were eventually raced in Group 5, however, most of the ProCar cars were kept intact. The Sideways versions of the Group 5 are based on later runners and, last but not least, a total tube frame version was run at LeMans under the IMSA class -- which at the time allowed about anything with 4 wheels...
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Top Qualifier
View monquispot's Photo Album

Wait a minute. M1s of this type did run in Gp.5 and IMSA GTX for 1980. Not necessarily what the car owners wanted to do but at the time not enough of the cars had been built to homologate for Gp.4. That homologation requirement was also the primary reason why the Procar series was created, so the car owners would have something to do with their expensive toys.

Similarly the Porsche 934. Ran as Gp.5 until enough 930s had been built to meet Gp.4 regulations....it wasn't just another 911.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:46 AM
Top Qualifier

I see I'm not the only one. Thing with Gp.5......'fenders are free'. That was in the rules. No one had to put the big fenders on their car to fit within Gp.5 rules but once it was done and proven cars like the ProCar M1 certainly could not compete.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Championship Contender
View dansula's Photo Album

I have a memory of BMW wanting to beat the 911/934/935 and commisioning a spec race car manufacturer to make the car. I think it was March. I think Scaleauto and Racer Sideways slot cars are different from the Fly and are, I think closest to building an M1 slot car to comply with the Group 5 rule book.

Going slightly off topic but trust me this is related in a way. The Robin Hamilton Aston V8 had to race as GTP at Le Mans in '77 and '79 due to not being compliant with European race rules. I also look at the Jaguar XJ12C(Broadspeed) in a similar light. It raced against the Capri and CSL in Group 2 or the European Touring Car Championsip. With the wheel arch flares it raced with for me it was a dead ringer for a later Gp 5 car. Alas it was a case of a nearly there car. Faster than the competition but unreliable. In many ways the XJ12C program became the poster boy for how not to go racing.

So back to the M1, I lean to it is period correct let it race especially if it is the Scaleauto/Racer sideways version.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Top Qualifier

It was March that built that car. It was never allowed in Gp.5, by memory March pushed those boundaries a bit too far. Jim Busby brought the car to IMSA in 1981 & quickly grew tired of being slow and of engine failures so replaced the straight six......not turbocharged.......with a Chevy V8. Didn't take him long to get tired of Chevy engine failures. Later the car was sold, new owner painted it red.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 AM
Championship Contender
View dansula's Photo Album

March only built three of them. That straight six was a little light on power when up against the flat six turbo. Racing Sports Cars list the three cars as entering 13 races over the 1979 to 1986 time line. No podiums. Best finish sixteenth.

The US car was sold on Bring a Trailor in 2010.

http://bringatrailer.com/2010/12/03/...-march-bmw-m1/

article below, photos at the link.

In 1979 BMW Motorsport commissioned March in England for their G5 Race Program. March chief designer Robin Herd led the program. BMW and March had already had a successful F2 program and sports car racing alliance. For this effort John Gentry created an all new beautiful aluminum monocoque chassis, much lighter and stronger than before. BMW had three M1 Group 5 cars built:

Mk1 -The Works car (Run by March for BMW)
Mk2 -This car, Campaigned by Jim Busby, Bruce Jenner, Rick Knoop, Bob Young, Joe Varde and Bob Gregg.
Mk3- Back-up car.
This car’s IMSA history includes Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, Road Atlanta, Riverside 5 Hours, Miami GP, Palm Springs and more. It is available in Atascadero, California for $165k. Contact us at [email protected] if you are interested.

1979 BMW March M1 Group 5 Race Car For Sale Rear

As an joint venture of two of the most dominant forces in racing, it is the very first GTP car due to the Traco s/b V8 conversion allowed by IMSA to equalize the field with the 935’s. She also can claim fully documented history from day one. It is currently still under the stewardship of Bob Gregg who raced this car with IMSA.

1979 BMW March M1 Group 5 Race Car For Sale Interior

All 4 corners of the suspension and the gearbox have been recently gone through by Dan Gurney’s former chief mechanic. The car has been maintained in impeccable race ready condition, though it does need fresh rubber and driver harness.

Features include:

Ed Ash s/b Chev V8
Smiths Gauges
Hewland LG 600 5 -speed
ATE brakes
935 rotors
Air jacks

1979 BMW March M1 Group 5 Race Car For Sale Engine

The price includes an excellent spares package as well as 30 years of 1-owner historical documentation. The valuable original BMW fuel-injected M88 race engine is also pictured and included (will not be sold separately). The car is a welcome addition and ticket in to the most prestigious class in any vintage grid worldwide, and you will not see another one like it. Check out the Flickr album slide-show below for more images.

A case of a very slow development, poor build with lamborghini for the initial cars, then no category to race in so BMW created there very own Pro Car series, then turn to March
Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Championship Contender
View Alcopa's Photo Album

Yeh, what they said!!

So getting back to 1/32, the FLY cars should run in Group 4 and the Sideways in Group 5 - allowing for the fact that you will get an entire grid of BMW's in the Sideways class.... (until we see how that Stratos runs!!!)- so in my upcoming proxy race event(s), they will not be allowed or possibly allowed under a regulation that requires them to blow up in 3 laps!! (OK, maybe just some weight added)

Of course, that brings us to what do we do with the FLY 934/5's?? Lovely cars - but maybe we should follow prototype here too???

Steve
Old 06-23-2017, 04:28 AM
National Champion
View JohnnySlots's Photo Album

It also ran in various IMSA GTO races from 1981 to I think 1984.