MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Top Qualifier
View greenman62's Photo Album

Default My first Thunderslots Lola

I bought a Surtees Lola last week from Alan last weekend.

Once home I took the car completely apart to replace the black chassis pod. I noticed the chassis appeared a bit warped... not unexpected from a high production plastic piece. I stuck it in boiling water then weighted it on a flat surface... it helped a bit. The chassis still seemed awfully flimsy. I thought maybe putting everything back together would stiffen things up... if not, I could add stiffness with some carbon fiber strip later.

As for the drive train I left it pretty much as supplied. I did play around with the spacers eventually settling on using Scale Auto brass spacers because the swept surface would be smaller with the brass and steel than it would be with plastic (to reduce mechanical drag). I kept the rear tires... glued them to the stock rims rather than going with different rims and another brand of urethane tire (like Paul Gage) leveled them. The front wheels and tire were leveled then I applied CA then sanded them smooth. Once everything was together I noticed the right front wheel still had a tendency to lift a bit. This disappeared after remounting the body. Break in was done on my dyno... 30 minutes at 12v with no lube on the gear to bed it in, added some weight and called it "done".

This was all with no track to test on so I was really anxious to see how it would run in essentially stock configuration in our club's GT class, which is pretty open with motor rpms limited to 22K. Normally, I'm a mid pack driver. Thursday night the Lola dominated a relatively small (for us) grid. That "flimsy" chassis inspired confidence clinging like a limpet to the MDF routed track we race on.

I was shocked... so were my competitors. I have a feeling I'll be facing a number of them next time we run GT class... back to mid pack for me

Did I mention that I seriously LOVE this car?

Greenman62

Last edited by greenman62; 06-19-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: punctuation!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM
National Racer
View Hundo's Photo Album

Yes, the chassis is extremely flimsy so I was also concerned. I changed quite a few things. 15x10 slot it air wheels in back with 5210 nsr rubber, 30k nsr motor, 10/31 gearing. Independent front axle with 15.8 wheels, slot it no grip tires. I cut out the bottom where the axle rest to lower the front end more. I also shaved down the "hump" under the chassis in the middle to have clearance. Car ran great 1st time on track.

I Thought maybe the 30k would be a bit much but no, it helps having those 5210 meats in the rear keeping it planted. I like the design of this manufacture, hopefully will see more models in the future
Old 06-22-2017, 02:56 AM
Championship Contender
View Sports Racer's Photo Album

Did you change things after testing the car or before?

Just wondering if your changes made a great car better.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:41 AM
National Racer
View Hundo's Photo Album

Car is great out of the box. These changes gave me 3 tenths more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Racer View Post
Did you change things after testing the car or before?

Just wondering if your changes made a great car better.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:06 AM
National Racer
View longdog's Photo Album

Has anyone run these on Ninco track? I have severe clearance issues if I use stock Thunderslot wheels and either Thunderslot slicks or treaded tyres on Ninco. Ninco rails stand a little proud of the track surface.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Top Qualifier
View greenman62's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
Has anyone run these on Ninco track? I have severe clearance issues if I use stock Thunderslot wheels and either Thunderslot slicks or treaded tyres on Ninco. Ninco rails stand a little proud of the track surface.
I don't think you will have an issue... Ninco tracks are notoriously rougher than other plastic tracks... that said, I read somewhere that Ninco is a competition standard in Europe. The flexibility of the chassis components were, as I understand it, designed with Ninco track in mind and should be a big help over the rougher surface.

I wouldn't mess with tire choices until you've had it on your track to see how it runs there. I can truthfully say the stock tires worked really well on the slightly pebbly surface of the MDF track I usually race on.

Greenman62