MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM
National Racer
View fasterslots's Photo Album

Default Hudy vs Tire Razor Tire Truer

What is everyones opinion on which is better the Huddy or Tire Razor truer. I know the Tire Razor has the advantage of trueing both tires at once which I think is not available on the Huddy. Let me know your opinions on this!
Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Top Qualifier
View rixvette's Photo Album

I use my Tire Razor for 1/32 and 1/24 tires. I have mine hooked up to a variable voltage power supply. At 3 volts I can true soft rubber. 6 volts for urethane. The Hudy is a fine machine but I prefer the Tire Razor.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM
National Racer
View fasterslots's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixvette View Post
I use my Tire Razor for 1/32 and 1/24 tires. I have mine hooked up to a variable voltage power supply. At 3 volts I can true soft rubber. 6 volts for urethane. The Hudy is a fine machine but I prefer the Tire Razor.
Rixvette have you ever trued silicone tires such as Quick Slicks and if so did you use drywall screen or sandpaper?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Novice Racer

you know this type.

i made my own tyre truer using a 3D printer and some parts like motor, bearings, orings. Cheaper.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2011055 and my video

Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 06-19-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Deleting Pendle link - please see Rule 13
Old 06-19-2017, 04:09 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I have been using a Hudy for a number of years and recently the guys in my club chipped in to buy a Tire Razor, so I have some experience with that as well. If you have to do tires on stock plastic wheels a machine like the tire Razor is the way to go, if you are only doing tires on aftermarket wheels you would certainly have a choice to make. I have noticed that some people who use Tire Razors only do one tire at a time, when I used it I was able to do two tires at one time if I used very light grinding pressure. With the Tire Razor all that is holding the axle in place is the belt and if too much pressure is applied that will start to wobble. The ability to easily change grit is a plus with the Tire Razor.
Rubber and urethane tires are easy enough to true, Quick Slicks and Super Tires silicone tires are a different matter. For a start the type of silicone that both makes use is very tough and therefore difficult to grind. Both the tire and the grinding media can get hot very quickly if you are not careful and the tires will leave a gooey deposit on the media which may render it ineffective. With the Hudy you are turning both the tire and the sanding drum, so the drum will not clog up or get hot as quickly.
With both types of machines it is helpful if you can move either the media or the tire from side to side as you grind.
If all you were going to do is silicone tires on aftermarket wheels the Hudy might be a better choice.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

For sure it would be good to know whether you'll be truing silicones or rubber/urethane compounds, for the reasons mentioned.

Personally, I would much rather be able to true tires as a pair; it helps to ensure the same OD, apart from any other considerations.

I'm also mindful of the great support provided in their SCI sub-forum, here.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:35 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Being able to do two tires at the same time is nice, but I am not certain that you could do two silicone tires at the same time with the Tire Razor. I will see if anyone else in my club has tried it. As a practical matter it would take forever to significantly reduce the diameter of a Quick Slick or a Super Tire, so I would not worry too much about ending up with a mismatched pair. Often one tire out of a pair will need more grinding time than the other, but I try to grind both tires for the same amount of time.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Championship Contender
View Mayberryman's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
For sure it would be good to know whether you'll be truing silicones or rubber/urethane compounds, for the reasons mentioned.

Personally, I would much rather be able to true tires as a pair; it helps to ensure the same OD, apart from any other considerations.

I'm also mindful of the great support provided in their SCI sub-forum, here.

I do not have a Hudy but I have a JK version that is very close in quality and I also have a tire razor. The rotating drum does offer some advantages when doing metal rims but I have started to use only the tire razor for a couple of reasons. First you can true plastic rims and tires on plastic rims with it, second I have never felt at a disadvantage using the Tire Razor and calipers together. The last reason is because of the support given on the tire razor, the ability to contact John and his quick replies. People, I have always thought that whenever possible, support those who continue to support the hobby.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:12 AM
Championship Contender
View munter's Photo Album

I dont know which is better because I only have a Hudy. I have had it for about ten years and am still using the original drum. It seems fine. There are two knobs. One is the full stop which sets minimum diameter for any tire rim combo while it is in that position. The idea of that is that you can true two separate wheel tire combos to the same diameter. The other lets you move the rotating rim/tire towards the drum....simples.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:51 AM
Championship Contender
View Al's slotracing's Photo Album

Getting both tyres accurately the same OD, and accurately the size you want is easy with a Hudy, in my experience a Tire Razor when used correctly can achieve similar accuracy to a Hudy.

As with just about all tools, if you don't use them correctly you don't get the best results. I've seen quite a lot of racers using tyre truers, most racers do a good job but the minority who have difficulty seem to have more issues getting accuracy with Tire Razor and similar than with a Hudy.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:35 AM
Top Qualifier
View rixvette's Photo Album

I don't run silicones n any of my cars. I don't know how to treat them.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:21 AM
National Racer
View glen's Photo Album

I do have both, a Hudy and a old Area 3 (tire razor like).

I actually like both machines for different reasons. The area 3 is great for plastic wheels on Carrera/Scaletrix hubs and tires, front and rears. Truing both tires at a time is a plus. I find the dual drums on the Hudy a cleaner cut. For softer rubber tires, i find the Hudy works a little better, less pilling and heating up of the tires.

The draw-backs of the Hudy is that you can only do one tire at a time and the sanding drum grit is harder and more expensive to change. the Area 3 allows one to have multiple grits very quickly with extra sanding blocks.

What would be nice if either would supply a tire measurement guage that is attached to the machine instead of using calipers. This way one can set it to the desired diameter on just work to that level. I have seen a printed one for the Hudy, but it only had limited size choices.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Championship Contender
View gascarnut's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I find the dual drums on the Hudy a cleaner cut.
"Dual drums" on a Hudy? Do you mean that you swap the drum out for different grades of abrasive? If so, where are you getting the drums, please? As far as I know, there's only one grade available from Hudy themselves, I know about some aftermarket diamond drums and there were some different grade drums available some years back from Proformance.

I have both a Hudy (well, two actually) and an Area 3 which is like the Tire Razor. Different tools for different applications, IMO . The Hudy for metal wheels as Rich D was saying. The Area 3 is nice for grinding tires on an axle, but what I have found is that the two tires do not always grind the same diameter, as the way in which the bushing locate in the yoke is variable.and the axle can be out of parallel to the slide.

Also, the slide width is a waste as there is only ever line contact between the tire and the slide, so that area of the sandpaper wears out fast. It the slide was offset more with respect to the position of the axle, then one could reverse the slide and get a second line of contact.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 AM
National Racer
View glen's Photo Album

Yes, you are correct. Hudy only has one grade (grit) besides the diamond one. What i meant was 2 rotating axis's. one the sand paper drum, the other, the tire on the spindle. I will sometimes, if i feel needed, finish the tires on my area 3 with finer grit paper.

I have found the same on my area 3, the diameters on each tire is slightly off from each other. i compensate by turning the axle over and finishing the tires on the opposite side.

and like gascarnut, fully agree that an offset on the Area 3 or Tire Razor sanding block would be most welcome. What you could do in the meantime if you have access to a metal milling machine, cut a notch on one side so you can have the sanding block sit back just a bit to get that extra contact patch on the sandpaper. Or did i just give Tirerazor a selling idea for a new block?
Old 06-20-2017, 10:41 PM
Championship Contender
View Al's slotracing's Photo Album

The numbers marked on the knob of the Hudy are 0.1mm (0.004inch) increments in ground clearance, making it very easy to get the size you want without calipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
What would be nice if either would supply a tire measurement guage that is attached to the machine instead of using calipers.
Guess you have a version of the Hudy without the calibrated knob?

Last edited by Al's slotracing; 06-20-2017 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo