MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 07-11-2017, 09:03 PM
National Racer
View Bonez's Photo Album

Default Tire Truing Question

I bought some GelClaws for my SG+ and SRT cars (factory wheel) and noticed that the center is cupped and that only the outer edges are on the track surface. I also see this on the factory tires too.

Was thinking of chucking an axle on my Dremel and try to sand them true. If this possible with silicone and synthetic silicone tires ?

Any advice or experience is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

There are different silicone formulations, the Penn Valley type formerly sold by Wizzard and now available from Tom Hiester are easy to sand, but Super Tires would probably have to be sanded using a tire truing machine of some sort. Urethane tires are relatively easy to sand. I have limited experience with Jel Claws, they are made of EPDM and I have never attempted to sand them. Super Tires does not make a tire to fit SG+ wheels. The softer types of silicone tires can be rather fragile, they can chunk or even tear when you put them on the wheels and they also will eventually wear out. Super Tires are nearly indestructible, if you wanted to use those you would have to swap the stock SG+ wheels, which have a center rib, for regular single or double flange wheels.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 AM
International Racer
View model murdering's Photo Album

Default Tire Tuning

One doesnt need an official tire truer to make noticeable improvements. Ya gotta experiment a bit.

By the time you cut a cupped contact patch back you will be a few thou short, if it matters to you. Some guys it does.

Due to their indestructibility Super Tires are obstinate at best to modify. The same wonderful property that makes them renowned thwarts any major tweaking. I counter rotate the tire against a cylindrical stone and proceed slowly. You'd be hard pressed to modify them significantly. I break a sweat just rolling the inner sidewall. LOL The up shot is that typically they're right on spec from the get go.

Rubber tires can be sanded, shaped, or ground rather easily, as can most of the other silicone offerings available. Get the contact patch flat, then kiss the inner and outer sidewalls just enough to take any sharp edge away.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:28 PM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

i have always swapped axle sets over to tyco axle sets. i just cut the tyco gear boss down
Old 07-12-2017, 10:06 PM
Championship Contender
View JimDouglasJr's Photo Album

Location: San Francisco, Twin Peaks area. Stop over and check out my collection and view.

Super Tires for Tomy Turbo or SRT, .458.
WAY better handling than Gel Claws.

I tried Gel Claws. They ended up on cars I sold or gave away.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 PM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

458 seems huge
my sg pluses run in the .430+ range
Old 07-13-2017, 05:32 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Jel Claws and urethane tires do not have as much grip as silicone tires , however some people prefer cars that slide a lot. Inline magnet cars like the SG+ are fast enough that you might have difficulty catching a slide before the car spins out.
I am a tester for Super Tires, which offers silicone and urethane versions of all of their tires. My experience has been that the different types do not always play well together. Silicone tires work best if the track is perfectly clean. Dust will coat silicone tires and when that happens they can lose a lot of grip. The tires can be quickly cleaned by rolling them on sticky tape. Dust does not stick to urethane tires, that does not mean that they will have terrific grip on a dusty track, but they will work better than dirty silicones. If you normally run on silicone tires and switch to Jel Claws or urethanes you will have good grip for a few laps, but they will get coated with residue and will lose a lot of grip. Rolling on tape will not remove the residue, the tires will have to be washed. You will have to repeat the cycle of running laps and washing the tires a number of time to get the track conditioned, after that frequent cleaning will not be necessary.

Last edited by RichD; 07-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Championship Contender
View JimDouglasJr's Photo Album

Location: San Francisco, Twin Peaks area. Stop over and check out my collection and view.

I just find the Gel Claws out of round, with a hard spot at the injection point.
Not an issue at 1:43 or 1:24, but a big issue on a tiny HO tire.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:49 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Improvised truing methods work well if the tires are cupped or bulged. If the tires are not round it is much better to use a machine of some sort. There are quite a few truing machines available for 1/32nd tires, I have never seen one that was made just for HO tires. I have used a commutator truing machine to turn down or true HO tires, but it does not work well with Super Tires.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:36 PM
International Racer
View Dave632's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
Improvised truing methods work well if the tires are cupped or bulged. If the tires are not round it is much better to use a machine of some sort. There are quite a few truing machines available for 1/32nd tires, I have never seen one that was made just for HO tires. I have used a commutator truing machine to turn down or true HO tires, but it does not work well with Super Tires.
Did you have to make a special mount to be able to cut the HO tires?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:19 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

I have several axles with Life Like rear wheels for pulleys plus wheels to fit the tires that I want to true or turn down.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 AM
International Racer
View Dave632's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
I have several axles with Life Like rear wheels for pulleys plus wheels to fit the tires that I want to true or turn down.

Thanks, I see what you did. I have a Hudy comm lathe which will not get close enough to use an HO axle. i would have to use a special axle. The Cobra lathe looks like a better design as it has more adjust-ability.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:55 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

My Cobra machine was originally made for 1/24th sized armatures, I bought a kit to convert it to take HO armatures. I also have a Hudy machine, but that can't be converted to take smaller armatures.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:03 PM
National Racer
View jmacartney's Photo Album

Rich, Lucky Bob has a set of brass bushings for the Hudy to be able to cut HO comms. They are on his web site.

Jim
Old 07-18-2017, 05:58 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

My Hudy has rollers to hold the armature in place, do the adapters that Lucky Bob's sells work with those? I did make adapters so I could use the Hudy for 1/32nd armatures.