MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 AM
National Racer
View Bugleboy10's Photo Album

Default Marshals and Sight Lines

I'm finally about to build the table and could use some criticism on the final track design. It is a representation of Willow Springs Raceway, and it looks fun to drive, but I have concerns over marshaling and sight lines for the drivers. This is a 16x8 L shaped table that is 4' across. The course will be run clockwise. Thoughts:

The ideal place for the drivers to see the entire track is at the bottom toward the right side. However, this puts them at the outside exit of the hairpin, as well as along the esses, therefore in the way of the marshals.

I could put the drivers on the bottom left and instruct marshals not to stand inside the L (mabe even rope it off). Because of the direction of travel and the short span of the table, any offs should be reachable by the marshal at the far right top.

Another possibility is putting the driver's stations at various points around the table. I've heard praise for that sort of thing because it allows 4 friends to play and marshal for each other without moving much, but that seems to be best suited for rectangular tables.

I could remove the esses and put in more straights, but that makes a more boring track.

What are your thoughts? Where would you put the driver's stations? Where would you place the marshals? Or would you scrap this design as a pain and try something else? I do have another design based on a mirror image of Brands Hatch, but Willow Springs is more near and dear to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Willow Springs.jpg (77.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 AM
National Racer

Bueller?
Old 07-01-2017, 12:21 AM
Top Qualifier
View bov's Photo Album

Use your rope idea from the bottom left loop to the top right loop - for the drivers to keep behind (if needs be, make up controller 'extension cords'....

You could even make up some kind of low profile pit - lane / dummy grid to fill in that triangular area to reinforce the 'no trespass zone'...

As you say, the LH corner right in front of the drivers would be marshalled from the outside - after the top RH loop. Put the scoring monitor up on the wall opposite the drivers (bottom wall of your diagram) - this way the marshals won't be distracted from their duties, and a very keen driver could try to glance up at the screen whilst going down the straight in front of them....

So - 4 drivers on one side of the room, 4 marshals spread around the other side of the room, and everyone is happy....

Cheers, Tony.

Last edited by bov; 07-01-2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Another thought
Old 07-01-2017, 08:21 AM
National Racer
View jim's Photo Album

I'd suggest that you put the driver's stations on the main straight, where the pits are on the real track. I would also suggest that the character of the real Willow Springs is only evident if you replicate the elevation changes in the turns 3, 4, &5 and that would be difficult if the drivers stations were located there. It would be very congested for pitting cars on the track or taking them off. My last suggestion would be that you revisit the final turn onto the straight and consider making it the decreasing radius turn with that devious kink that exists on the real course. The true character of Willow Springs lies it its details. When you simplify everything to make it into a faster track for slot racing, it becomes a bit boring. Good luck with your project. It's a great track.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:44 PM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bov View Post
You could even make up some kind of low profile pit - lane / dummy grid to fill in that triangular area to reinforce the 'no trespass zone'...

As you say, the LH corner right in front of the drivers would be marshalled from the outside - after the top RH loop. Put the scoring monitor up on the wall opposite the drivers (bottom wall of your diagram) - this way the marshals won't be distracted from their duties, and a very keen driver could try to glance up at the screen whilst going down the straight in front of them....

So - 4 drivers on one side of the room, 4 marshals spread around the other side of the room, and everyone is happy....
Although I had thought of extending the table out to include pit lane (that's where the real track pits are anyway), I hadn't thought of then putting the drivers there. That's an excellent idea! It will require some more woodworking skills than I had originally intended, but it could be done.

There is no wall opposite the drivers. With your set up, the drivers would have their backs to a sliding glass door and would be facing out the patio to the backyard. My monitor was simply going to be a laptop in the infield or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim View Post
I'd suggest that you put the driver's stations on the main straight, where the pits are on the real track. I would also suggest that the character of the real Willow Springs is only evident if you replicate the elevation changes in the turns 3, 4, &5 and that would be difficult if the drivers stations were located there. It would be very congested for pitting cars on the track or taking them off. My last suggestion would be that you revisit the final turn onto the straight and consider making it the decreasing radius turn with that devious kink that exists on the real course. The true character of Willow Springs lies it its details. When you simplify everything to make it into a faster track for slot racing, it becomes a bit boring. Good luck with your project. It's a great track.
I would definitely like to put elevation at the Budweiser Balcony. I was just planning to elevate a triangle of plywood on that corner of the table, but will see how that works out. As for the kink, I had previously submitted a design like that and multiple people said that a slot car track would be better with the fast section being fast and the technical section being technical, adding that an analog track doesn't have the dynamic of a late apex turn anyway. At least this plan would still have the elevation and hairpin, as well as the fast esses down the back side.

Thanks for the comments, this is really helping!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 AM
National Racer
View Slott V's Photo Album

Had an L shaped track built into a corner for years. Yes sight line can be an issue if your driver stations are inside the L side but there are solutions. You can put a tape line on the floor for drivers to stay behind during heats. Or a rope that can stretch in case you need to approach the track briefly during a race. After a while you will get the rhythm of the track and can blind race into the L corner anyway.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:49 PM
National Racer

After talking with a friend, I'm going to make the drivers stations separate from the table so I can experiment with them inside the L and along the back straight. The back straight should actually be more roomy because it's open, just have to keep marshals out of the inside as well, and make sure there's adequate shade in the Winter when the Sun is entering at more of an angle.,