MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 05-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Championship Contender
View DrumPhil's Photo Album

Default It was bound to happen

Back in 2013, I sold off all of my slot stuff after getting burned out (and over-invested) on the hobby. But the racing bug kept after me - especially when I would watch Le Mans 24h and Bathurst 12h. A couple years ago, my buddy Derek helped me rout a 1-lane test track, and I picked up a few cars, just to scratch the itch a little. Of course, that didn't last. This year's F1 excitement (and other good racing series) burst the old itch into a full-blown rash...and we're back at it. Also, with new friend John in the area, racing meetups should be a little more active than in the past. I'm buying some of my old track back from Derek. (I mentioned that he's a great guy, right?)

I still love Carrera Digital's features, but here's what I'm doing differently this time. I want the ability to easily change layouts to keep things fresh, so no permanent scenery - maybe later a few scenic modules that can be pulled out and moved around. Instead of building a massive table that doesn't move, I bought several 8-foot folding tables, so I can easily change things around. The key is flexibility. That will keep things fresh.

Also, I am going to add more curve radii, instead of buying used base sets that add way too many R1/60 curves. So this month I bought R2 curves to get started. Here is the current layout (though I've already moved the first LC to after the overpass).

Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 AM
International Racer
View Wood0209's Photo Album

Looks like a fun layout as a starting point with the curves available to you. No go out and get yourself a pit lane.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:34 AM
Championship Contender
View thatguy01's Photo Album

Last edited by thatguy01; 05-03-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood0209 View Post
Looks like a fun layout as a starting point with the curves available to you. No go out and get yourself a pit lane.
Thanks. To be honest, I had a pit lane on my old digital track and hardly ever used it. Of course, I mostly ran alone, so pitting was no big deal. If we get some competitive racing going on, maybe I'll change my mind.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:41 PM
Top Qualifier
View b.yingling's Photo Album

Really great to see you back in the D1XX fold! And changing the track around does keep it fresh!

Over my 10+ years (has it really been that long!?) as a Carrera digital user, I've run hot and cold, and the track has laid fallow for months from time to time. But I also still get spells of feverish activity from one thing or another.

My latest bug was finally chipping and adding LED lighting to some more of the slot.it classics that I've bought over the years. Which led to adding more lights on the track itself (got to use those 5mm LEDs that came in the kit for something, right?), which has recently had some grandstands added because of inspiration from your buddy John. The lighting binge has just about run it's course, but I think the next itch to scratch may be to play some more with the 6 D124 cars I have....

Last edited by b.yingling; 05-03-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM
National Racer
View checkeredpenguin's Photo Album

Flexibility was my main concern when building my tables. Keeps things fresh and lessens the burnout when your layout gets older. I have that issue since I only "race" with myself.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 AM
Top Qualifier
View 2FER SLOTS's Photo Album

I'm thrilled you are back in the fold

It's cool that you are enjoying the track design aspect of this hobby.

A small, close knit group of local racers would suit me just fine....looking forward to some racin'
Old 05-04-2018, 07:03 AM
National Racer
View Drewbert34's Photo Album

You can really add to the individual racing experience with Carrera's ghost car feature. If you slow your cars down enough and make them more difficult to drive, it's great fun!

I had to try this several times before I liked it. Each time previous, I was too concerned about the performance of my car and not enough concerned with the racing.

The more I race, alone, the more challenging I make it to beat the ghost cars
Old 05-04-2018, 07:13 AM
Top Qualifier
View dw5555's Photo Album

Your absence has been noticed. We've lost a few great guys over the years and it hasn't been the same since. It kinda felt like the rat pack with one big party all the time. A lot more subdued now with just some occasional questions mainly directed at Bruce. Welcome back buddy.
Dave
Old 05-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Championship Contender

Thanks guys. It's nice to be remembered fondly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert34 View Post
You can really add to the individual racing experience with Carrera's ghost car feature. If you slow your cars down enough and make them more difficult to drive, it's great fun!

I had to try this several times before I liked it. Each time previous, I was too concerned about the performance of my car and not enough concerned with the racing.

The more I race, alone, the more challenging I make it to beat the ghost cars
Drewbert, I agree with you. My typical practice is to leave all magnets in my ghost cars, so they can be set to run relatively quickly. Then I remove rear magnets from my race cars and add urethane tires. It makes the racing a bit more even between me and the ghosts.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:11 PM
International Racer
View Wood0209's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumPhil View Post
Thanks. To be honest, I had a pit lane on my old digital track and hardly ever used it. Of course, I mostly ran alone, so pitting was no big deal. If we get some competitive racing going on, maybe I'll change my mind.
I enjoy the pit lane when racing alone or racing with my kids, I use the gas tank size as an "equalizer" forcing me to pit more often than the others (since the ghosts and kids will be set to lower speed settings).

When racing with a group of guys recently, I found the pit lane a bit annoying mainly due to the fact that in its standard form, it isn't long enough to get more than 1 car pitting at a time. The second car either wouldn't pass the sensor on entry, or would collide with the back of the first car causing its front end to block the racing lane.

My personal track has a couple extra straights added to extend its length so its easier to get 3 or so cars in. My goal is to make it so that there is more than one pit in the pit lane to open up the strategy options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkeredpenguin View Post
Flexibility was my main concern when building my tables. Keeps things fresh and lessens the burnout when your layout gets older. I have that issue since I only "race" with myself.
I do the same. I ave 4 tables that are 3'6"x5'. I currently have them all lined up for a 20' table, but will likely change it soon to get some more width.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Championship Contender
View carlosinseattle's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5555 View Post
Your absence has been noticed. We've lost a few great guys over the years and it hasn't been the same since. It kinda felt like the rat pack with one big party all the time. A lot more subdued now with just some occasional questions mainly directed at Bruce. Welcome back buddy.
Dave
Ditto
Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 PM
International Racer
View Wicker Bill's Photo Album

An answer to boredom may lie in doing modular track sections. J-Trak system uses Scalextric but I imagine one could take the premise and do the same with Carrera.

http://phantomdrum.co.uk/scalexracer/j-trak/index.html
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Championship Contender

Nice to hear from you again, Carlos.

Bill, when I rearrange my layout, I leave together sections of track that will work in the new layout, so it's kind of like the modular system idea. I'm not going with heavy boards and tables for now, to keep things very flexible. As you can see in the photo below, it's just folding tables for now.

Here is the current layout, using a combination of R1 and R2 curves and three LCs. It's fun to drive against ghost cars (especially in the dark), as there are places to pass on the inside and on the outside.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:14 AM
National Racer
View 1967Cuda's Photo Album

I suspect you're going to want to put on a few more slot car exhibitions Phil so the portability of the folding tables and lack of landscaping should work well.