NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 05-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Championship Contender
View Old - Mech.'s Photo Album

Wow,an AMC entry from way back then. I can remember later years when the rules changed and Penske/Donohue were involved running AMC blocks as well as Dodge doing the same. Everyone remembers those guys for T/A history but Rodger's first Indy win came in 72-73. AMC must have spent lots of money with the T/A,Indy,Nascar programs! Plus to a lesser degree Drag racing too. I even have pics of Penske/Donohue running a AMC F5000 car,no success with that one.

Last edited by Old - Mech.; 05-12-2018 at 08:20 AM. Reason: added text
Old 05-14-2018, 11:58 AM
International Racer
View ctdurf's Photo Album

I'm not sure if this post is off the on subject or on the off subject but as long as were Ramblering I thought I'd throw this in . This car only ran a few times before quietly being sent home by the famous SCCA Tech Scrutineer John Timanus . (sp?) This is the same guy who was the chief Tech Inspector in thee Trans Am series and so had experience with many of the entrants and knew their tricks and traits . This includes the famous tin-foil Penske 1969 Camaro . You know , the one that had to have the roof reinforced with a vinyl top ....
So the AMC-Lola wasn't great first time out but showed sudden improvement at one of it's next races . Not only did it seem to accelerate and brake better but the handling was much improved . Too much maybe to be any sort of tuning or set-up change in a series where there were 20 other similar chassis/cars to compare it's performance with . This piqued Timanus' interest so on a hunch during the car's Tech inspection he pulled a jack knife out of his pocket and proceeded to slice a little sliver of material off the painted aluminum block of the car's "AMC" engine . As the story goes it is said that a quiet word was given to the Penske boys that amounted to . "You can race this weekend but don't win . Then take this home and I don't ever want to see it again ."
You have to wonder if it got parked next to the Camaro when it got back to Reading .
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 AM
National Racer
View Big Al's Photo Album

I recently finished 4 classic Gt cars for my long wheelbase chassis.

Regards

Al
Old 05-15-2018, 05:33 AM
Championship Contender
View fastlap's Photo Album

Those look great Al. What chassis are you running under them? Any chance of you posting more pics of the 2J car???
Old 05-15-2018, 06:36 AM
Championship Contender

CtDurf,always good & interesting to hear your thoughts and stories! I remember the John T.name & fame. He was a bit before my time so he never teched any of my cars. Too busy doing the pro's series anyways to worry about us amateurs.

Big Al,like what you have done! That certainly is interesting if they are using 1.7 chassis. If you post more pics of the "sucker car" please try to do so in Speedhoppys Can-Am thread. Or create your own thread that covers the details. Thanks for sharing...
Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 AM
National Racer

Apologies to the purists, I believe the 4 cars i've shown are not GT cars.. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Gary, same stuff as yours bud, the 1.7" chassis.

regards

Alan
Old 05-16-2018, 03:56 AM
National Racer

Gary, I'll post more Pics. it's a hand built plasticard version I built and siliconed.
Will take some more pics shortly for you.

cheers

Al
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Championship Contender

That's quite ok,Al. I am sure the Corvette qualifies as a GT car! Would like to see what a "plasticard car"is?
Old 05-16-2018, 11:58 AM
International Racer
View gmcullan's Photo Album

Does lexan count?

IMG_7938 by gcullan, on Flickr
Old 05-16-2018, 01:40 PM
Championship Contender

These are all GT cars in one form or another. All FastBodies resin creations.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Championship Contender
View Speedhoppy's Photo Album

Default Corvette "Grand Sport" was a Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old - Mech. View Post
That's quite ok,Al. I am sure the Corvette qualifies as a GT car! Would like to see what a "plasticard car"is?

Pat, as much as you don't like "history lessons" the 1963 Corvette "Grand Sport" was a purpose-built race car with a Stingray body designed (by Zora Arkus-Duntov, the "Father" of the Corvette) to beat the Cobra. But only five (out of the required 100 needed for entry into the GT class) were made before production was stopped (per GM edict), forcing it to be classed as a "Prototype".

Only the body resembled the new Stingray; underneath it had an entirely new chassis & running gear, topped off by a 377 CU in. V-8 (cross-ram manifold), Halibrand wheels wearing Indy car rubber. Everything was uprated; and the car weighed 1,000 pounds less than a normal Stingray.

Yes, I am the "killjoy". But I have found that more than a few actually enjoy knowing the background of various cars, so you are just going to have to put up with me..........

Last edited by Speedhoppy; 05-16-2018 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Sentence structure)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:30 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old - Mech. View Post
I hand made a body using Evergreen Plastic sheet, whcih we call plasticard. Anyway, once completed, I then poured a Silicone mold, and made it out of Liquid plastic\resin. Same with the others. The Corvette is a very slightly modified Hot Wheels body, as is the P4 which had to be resized to fit the longer chassis.

regards

Alan
Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 AM
Championship Contender

Speedhoppy; I personally like all the "fun facts" given out by you and others.

Big Al; Great job scratch building the 2J body!!! Would love to see a few more pics at different angles. Very cool.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlap View Post
Speedhoppy; I personally like all the "fun facts" given out by you and others.

Big Al; Great job scratch building the 2J body!!! Would love to see a few more pics at different angles. Very cool.

Gary,
Thank you for that support! I suppose people can call their cars anything they want, but to KNOW the background of a car, what class it raced in, how it did, etc. just adds to the hobby, in my opinion. I have enjoyed researching race cars (the 60's decade is my favorite) for a long time; I find there are differing views on some cars / drivers of the period, but to study the differences is very important in understanding where those cars fit in history........

Last edited by Speedhoppy; 05-17-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: word correction
Old 05-17-2018, 12:07 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlap View Post
These are all GT cars in one form or another. All FastBodies resin creations.

Gary, I hate to do it to you, but the # 12 Ford GT Mk.I was NOT in the FIA "GT" classification, because to do so, 100 examples would have had to be built during this car's heyday in the 60"s. This car reached production status of 50 by 1968; it ran in the "Sports" class (with the Lola T70 & the Ferrari 250 LM, even though there were never 50 Ferraris built) in 1968-9. This class (with a 5 liter engine size) was created due to the limit on engines to 3 Liters after 1967 for Group 6 Prototypes; this eliminated the Ford MK.II & IV, the Ferrari P4 & the Chaparral 2F. The class was thought of as a "field filler" until others developed new cars. Ferrari quit the prototype class for 1968 in protest; Ford dropped out as a manufacturer, but allowed John Wyer to run the smaller engine Mk.I car with special parts (Gurney-Weslake heads, improved head gaskets/bolts to eliminate the engines rom seizing), while Ford England tried to produce a 3-Liter car with the Ford Cosworth (never a long-distance engine; it's flat-plane crankshaft was great for F-1, but tended to vibrate an endurance car to pieces). Yet Wyer was able to win Le Mans AND the championship in 1968, and come back with the same cars and win Le Mans in 1969 (the same car winning the race two years in a row), before the FIA dropped the minimum car requirement to 25 for 1970 (thus creating the Porsche 917 & Ferrari 512), and suddenly, full-powered cars were back again (for a few years)...........

Last edited by Speedhoppy; 05-17-2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Additional information