AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Novice Racer
View zracer003's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemoore View Post
I think the biggest problem chipping a 1/24 commercial car would the current draw of the motors. I don't know if there are any chips out there capable of handling that much current. A Deathstar 16D will draw MUCH more current than any car from a 1/32 set. And... motors that draw that much current are typically VERY fast. I.e. lots of track (and space) needed. I know that's not what you asked, but it's something to consider.
When I chipped the blueprinted 16d motor in the 1/24 parma car I have, the car seemed to power up ok. It also revved OK at times. I only have the 12 volt power supply for my carrera track, and it did "brown out the track" which caused the track to reset like it does when a short occurs. The chip did not seem to limit the car as much as lack of traction from the foam tires. I can not say for sure if the chip would hold up to amp demands in a full running situation, as the traction and power was not practical to run on this track. I would be intersted in any suggestions of 1/24 or 1/32 cars other then carrera that could be made to run on the plastric track as good as or better then carrera. I was told that slot it runs well on carrera tracks, but if anyone has set up or tuning tips, I would love to hear them. As always, thanks. Bill
Old 12-19-2011, 01:18 PM
National Racer
View Daddyo's Photo Album

I use Carrara track with borders and there is plenty of room , all my1/24 cars are scratch builds but I usually only use bodies like a Camaro ,Vette , Mustang etc , the smaller pony type cars something like a 57 Chevy or Impala say..are kinda large , I do however have 3 of the old school thingies(Banshee , Cucaracha and russkit dunebuggy replica) which seen to have enough spacing as well .
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM
International Racer
View tim neja's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotcarman View Post
I guess my point is why aren't alot more small cars being made in 1/24 scale and everyone could use them. with the proper power and everything of course. just a thought.
There's far more 1/32 cars made for home tracks then 1/24. 1/24 is primarily the "commercial" track size. The only real variable to running the cars is lane spacing. You really need at least 4" to have proper clearance to race 1/24 cars. You can put 1/24 cars on a smaller track--but it would be difficult to race them without the correct spacing. For this reason--1/32 is better for home use because the track "footprints' can also be smaller.

FWIW
T
Old 12-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Championship Contender
View noddaz's Photo Album

Default At Racewear.....

At Racewear in Pasadena Maryland we have successfully run 1/24 BRMs and 1/24 Scaleautos on the Behemoth, which is Racewears Ninco track. The racing is close... (Get it?) But the cars can still pass each other.
Have a look here... (Unfortunately, the track was populated with Slot.its when the picture was taken...)

It can be done... I was skeptical myself.... Till I ran the track...
Old 01-29-2018, 06:15 AM
National Champion
View mab0707's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddaz View Post
At Racewear in Pasadena Maryland we have successfully run 1/24 BRMs and 1/24 Scaleautos on the Behemoth, which is Racewears Ninco track. The racing is close... (Get it?) But the cars can still pass each other.
Have a look here... (Unfortunately, the track was populated with Slot.its when the picture was taken...)

It can be done... I was skeptical myself.... Till I ran the track...
That layout is beautiful !!!! Great job!!!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:07 AM
National Racer
View DVD3500's Photo Album

Carrera made a system called "Profi" for a few years when things were not going well financially and you can get it pieces to create a 4-lane set up. the two inner lanes are wider than Carrera Evo/Exc. track!
That is why I keep my Profi track for the occasional 1/24 scale romp..
Old 01-30-2018, 05:28 PM
International Racer
View tlbrace's Photo Album

Scalextric 3 lane plastic track. 4" lane centers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final 7 whole layout 2resize3.jpg (61.0 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by tlbrace; 01-30-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:14 PM
Pit Crew

i have been running a pair of parma flexi 1/24 cars on my 6x12 carrera evo oval and having a ball.silicone tires are best
Old 06-19-2018, 07:06 PM
National Racer
View Mitch58's Photo Album

On my Strombecker track I can run two of the original Revell or Monogram 1/24 cars side by side. They're a lot of fun.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:55 AM
Novice Racer

Default 1/24 Scale Solutions

I been looking at 1/24 scale tracks for 2 years now and have decided. In my case there isn't a need to run a race because I'm the only one in the house that likes slot cars. The best route is to find a local track for racing and build your home stuff for testing. That means I am building 2 different single lane tracks in where I can easily move my benchtop power supply from one track to the other. The first track is a 30 foot single lane drag strip. I use a chrono from my gun hobby to calculate speed. The second track is a single lane track on a 4 x 8 piece of plywood. Routed the lane myself. The banks are stiffened Styrofoam with wood inlays. It is a road course so you do have to actually drive it. When friends visit we just take turns and race the clock. This is the best route to maximize your fun and get the best bang for your buck on a budget. The power supply was 100 bucks and goes up to 48 volts. The wood was 50 bucks. A chrono varies in price. Copper wire is cheap. Borrow a router if you don't have one. Controllers were 50 bucks drag car and 80 bucks for my road course cars. The light tree for drag racing I use an app on my phone. Time on the road course I use my watch. You would be amazed at how much this improves your skills on raceday at your local track.