NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 AM
National Racer
View carlosinseattle's Photo Album

Default Can anyone make custom pick up shoes???

Does anybody know who makes custom pick up shoes? I need to get some pick up shoes for my slotless speedsteer cars; these are the middle shoes for the speedsteer roadblocker cars. I also need some marchon "long-throw" pick up shoes for monster trucks and sky fighter planes. Nobody seems to have them.

If anybody knows how to make them fairly cheaply or knows someone who can make them I'd appreciate it. Feel free to email me directly at carlosinseattle@hotmail.com.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

are your shoes worn or missing?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotking View Post
are your shoes worn or missing?
They are worn. Someone gave me the idea to use solder and small pieces of extra pick up shoes to fill in the gaps.

Any other ideas??
Old 07-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Club Racer
View 328thVenom's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle View Post
They are worn. Someone gave me the idea to use solder and small pieces of extra pick up shoes to fill in the gaps.

Any other ideas??

That should work. Just make sure that you use the right kind of solder. If you use one with to much lead in it it will wear out very fast. Have you tried looking on Ebay for the Pick-up shoes.
There are lots of people that sell old parts. Can you post some photo's of them. I have a box of old shoes and parts. If I have anything that looks like what your looking for I would be willing to sell you them.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Top Qualifier
View 007's Photo Album

I have seen a guy soder a small piece of 1/32 braid on the bottoms
Old 07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Championship Contender
View slotbubba's Photo Album

Try a place called Slotcar Central. He seems to have just about anything!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Top Qualifier
View 007's Photo Album

by the way how many do you need
Old 08-02-2009, 07:43 AM
International Racer
View Grandcheapskate's Photo Album

Quote:
I also need some marchon "long-throw" pick up shoes for monster trucks and sky fighter planes. Nobody seems to have them.
There was a website called Slot Car World which had Marchon pickup shoes, although I do not believe they were the long throw shoes. The owner passed away a while ago and the website has been down since then.

I'm guessing you will not find replacements for those anywhere. They were parts unique to very few chassis and there's not a lot of NOS Marchon parts floating around.

One thing you can try is desoldering braid . You can pick up a roll of about 5 ft. from Radio Shack. You can then solder a small piece of the braid to the pickup shoes. I've tried this with Aurora SuperMag shoes (which start to wear out in minutes) and while it does work, the problems are twofold. One, the shoes tend to drag on the rails and two, adding braid to the bottom of the shoe increases the shoe thickness. It's worth a try. Maybe soldering only a few strands of braid on the shoes will work.

I've also tried soldering a small piece of rail (taken out from a valuable 9" 1/4 curve) to the bottom of the shoes. While that also works, you again have the same two problems as above.

Joe
Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
National Racer

Thanks for your suggestions.

The braid idea sounds great,if it will work without creating clearance issues. I would post a picture, but we broke our digital camera on vacation. I should have another one within a week, then I'll post a picture. To be specific; I'm looking for pick up shoes for the "center" position on Aurora Speed Steer roadblocker cars.

I've tried Slot Car Central, but he didn;t have any, even with his vast supplly of NOS merchandise. I bought a couple hundred regular pickup shoes from him but he couldn;t source the center pick up shoes for me.

and you guys are correct, the "long-throw" Marchon shoes were only made in limited quantities, so they're really hard to find. I'll try the braid idea first, then if that doesn;t work I'll try to solder in a piece off an old shoe.

How would someone "stamp" new pick up shoes? Don;t the special racer guys make their own shoes?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM
International Racer
View Grandcheapskate's Photo Album

Quote:
How would someone "stamp" new pick up shoes?
I've often thought that if and when I ran out of pickup shoes, especially for the Aurora Super Mag or the Tyco HP-7, I would try going to some local machine shops to see if they would be interested in making them for me. I'm not a racer, so I wouldn't need high tech shoes, just regular old replacements. During a recession might be a good time to do this as they are probably looking for any work they can get.

I also want to try to rout a track using braid rather than rail. I understand that shoes on braid last forever; no need for replacements.

Joe
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
National Champion
View slotking's Photo Album

Quote:
I understand that shoes on braid last forever; no need for replacements.
But you do have to maintain the track braid .
1/24th shops have braid rollers to keep it flat
Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 AM
National Racer
View scytruckin's Photo Album

I don't know how long those shoes are, but you might try to modify some AW shoes or tyco 440X2. I've had great results using them on the HP-7's. Good luck.
Scott
Old 08-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Novice Racer
View Gary#8's Photo Album

When my shoes wear out I solder them up with high silver content solder. Then shoes are still the original thickness and if you are carefull when you remove them to solder, they don't even need adjusting when you put them back on provided they were adjusted correctly before they were removed. Shoes need to be cleaned very good before soldering and always use flux.