MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 PM
National Racer
View lancerman's Photo Album

Default note to ninco

Include a dang allen wrench with the pro race cars. failing that at least send the cars ready to run with the allens tight. got my first car and could only run it a couple of laps before i realized it was getting slower and slower. pretty aggravating i dont have an allen that small. and no where on the car or box does it say what size is needed. how would one even measure what size it is??
Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 AM
National Racer
View Oiler fan's Photo Album

You need yourself one of those allen wrenches, Big Boy. All the good quality cars (Slot.it, NSR) use them. Slotcar Corner has them as well as the other on-line places.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
International Racer
View bkrownd's Photo Album

The funny thing is that Ninco includes a Phillips screwdriver with every digital chip package, even though almost everyone already has one. I have a stack of them.

Are these tiny allen set screws for the wheels? According to one retailer those are M2 set screws, same as many others. You need an [...see below...] allen wrench for them, but you should wait for confirmation from Bob. Be careful with small set screws, since it's very easy to strip them if you try the wrong size wrench. Happens to us all the time at work when someone sticks the wrong size wrench in a tiny unlabelled set screw.

Last edited by bkrownd; 03-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Top Qualifier
View Fred Fries's Photo Album

The screws are M2 set screws, but you need a .9mm (.035") allen wrench to fit them, not a M2 wrench, Alan at 132 has a number of different ones available, for a plain (non torque limiting) wrench the Wiha brand are excellent quality, if you want a torque limiting style the Sloting Plus are nice and have replaceable tips. If you happen to have bought a new SlotIt car recently their newer releases have a plain allen wrench taped under the base.

After checking my latest Lightning car to be sure they hadn't switched sizes, I noticed the screws are very short with a shallow socket, I'm going to replace them before any more strip out, with something a little longer.

Fred

the Wiha http://www.132slotcar.us/store/produ...c395ba785b417b

the Sloting Plus at Professor Motor

Last edited by NINCO1; 03-09-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM
International Racer
View bkrownd's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Fries View Post
The screws are M2 set screws, but you need a .9mm (.035") allen wrench to fit them, not a M2 wrench,
Doh! Dang tiny set screws bite me in the butt again...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Championship Contender
View NINCO1's Photo Album

lancer,
Those little screws are fun to lose!!
The NINCO part # for a 0.9mm "L" allen tool is 80908.
You can get a pack of 10 M2 screws and the tool (#80909)
You can get a pack of 10 M2 grub screws and the tool (#80911).
We also have (# NH91002) a beautiful, long handled, CNC machined, Prorace screwdriver with hardened 0.9mm Allen tips.
These Prorace drivers are also available in 1.5mm, 2, 2.5, and 3mm sizes, and 4.5 and 5.5mm nut drivers.

So you have lots of choices, between NINCO and others....
but, be careful if using the Slot.it torque allen tool... if it's set incorrectly, you can easily strip the threads in aluminum wheels, and dent titanium axles.

Bob/NINCO1

Last edited by NINCO1; 03-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
2009 BRM World Champion (1/2)
View Kerry's Photo Album

Default Screwy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINCO1 View Post
So you have lots of choices, between NINCO and others....
but, be careful if using the Slot.it torque allen tool... if it's set incorrectly, you can easily strip the threads in aluminum wheels, and dent titanium axles.
The "SIPA23 Slot.it "Martinez" Fixed Torque Screwdriver" is, as it says, not adjustable, but most newer Slot.it cars come with a small Allen key under the base in case you have one.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Championship Contender

PT,
I'm not in the habit of talking about any other products here in the NINCO forum, but my "orange" Slot.it torque screwdriver can be adjusted by popping the end cap and loosening/tightening the phillips screw... that's why I mentioned it.

Bob/NINCO1
Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Top Qualifier
View Fred Fries's Photo Album

OOPS, sorry Bob, I wouldn't have mentioned the other tools had I realized that Ninco made one of their own.

Fred
Old 03-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Championship Contender

No harm done, Fred,....

Bob/NINCO1
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM
2009 BRM World Champion (1/2)
View Kerry's Photo Album

Default Interesting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINCO1 View Post
PT,
I'm not in the habit of talking about any other products here in the NINCO forum, but my "orange" Slot.it torque screwdriver can be adjusted by popping the end cap and loosening/tightening the phillips screw... that's why I mentioned it.
Wow, I learned something today... thanks Bob!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM
World Champion
View Robert Livingston's Photo Album

Interesting observation on the Martinez torque driver. Mine came from the factory with the screw fully bottomed and tight, so all you can do is loosen it. And if you do so, the screw may wander or lose its adjustment. I find that extra torque is applied by giving the driver extra clicks against the toothed cam, just as extra hammer blows drive a nail in farther, even if they are all the same force. I usually tighten up gear and wheel screws with two clicks.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Championship Contender

Robert,
Not really wanting to open a discussion about non-NINCO products... my comment was about decreasing, not about increasing the torque applied, and being able further increase (as you rightfully state) by "double clicking". The tool (I use it too) is terrific but designed/calibrated for Slot.it components. Does it work for other manufacturers components? Absolutely!

Like any torque wrench, you get consistancy, but you lose the "feel" (you get with a regular "bent" Allen or long handled Allen) that may be required when making adjustments. Mechanics torque wrenches (as you know) are usually adjustable depending on the amount of torque required.

I'm sure, you and other "seasoned" racers reading these posts are aware of these things, but "newbies" or some racers becoming more involved in tuning and upgrading may not be.

My comments are simply a caution; and a way of reducing the torque, because NINCO wheels are aluminum/magnesium alloy and some of the older Prorace axles are titanium, not steel. Although both are strong and lightweight, damage could be done to either with too much torque applied.

There are other forums within SCI better suited to discuss the nuances of tools that we use within the hobby... I just felt clarification and a caution was needed.

Bob/NINCO1
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
National Racer
View Spa67's Photo Album

I still want to know why an $85 slot car doesn't include a 10cent wrench. Especially when Ninco is not known for quality control

Lancerman - you are spot on right.

Plenty of other brands with more respect for their customers.