MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 AM
International Racer
View greenjo2's Photo Album

Default fusion fiber

The fusion fiber is very easy to use. Comes in white and you mix acrylic paint and water with it to make it the color you want. A nice feature of the fiber is that you can re-wet it and re-shape, re-use it after it's dried, handy if you decide to change your layout or if you decide you don't like the way it looks. Paint can also be applied to it after you apply it to your scenery. Just brush or trowl it into the fiber, you can also do paint washes with it (just let watery wet paint run down it and it looks like the weathered effect on rocks). Scenery items can be placed in wet fiber and then when it dries they're sealed in like they were resting in concrete. If you want to remove them later, just re-wet the fiber and pull them out, fiber cleans off the item with a little water.

$20/bag and that covers 20 sq ft, or you can get the close out bulk fiber that will cover 30-40 sq ft a bag at 6 bags for $100. The model railroad guys use this stuff a lot.

All in all this is a good product that when combined with other scenery products like Woodland Sceenics can add some nice details to your layout.

Various colors of acrylic paint were mixed with fusion fiber in small batches and then applied in layers in this area. Moss, turf and some plastic plants add to scenery. Blue acrylic paint and fusion fiber used to make river.

Several different paints brushed into wet fiber to give colored rock look. Natural stones added near river.

Styrofoam blocks covered with fusion fiber and moss form rock formations / track supports.

Black paint mixed with fusion fiber to simulate asphalt under the officials office and pace car area.

The tunnel turn with various shades of fusion fiber applied over cardboard and drywall tape.

Backside of tunnel turn and outside of final turn.

Last edited by greenjo2; 03-27-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM
International Racer

Default Now on to Lights (LED strip)

I'm going to take a break from landscaping and move onto trying to bring some lights to the my two tracks.

I've decided to try some LED light strips. More specifically

Superbright 3528 SMD Pure White LED, high intensity and reliability Waterproof flexible LED strip
60 SMD LEDs per meter, total 300 LEDs for 5 meters
Self-adhesive back with double side adhesive tape.
Maintenance free, easy installation
Every 3-LED cutable without damaging the rest strip
Flexible ribbon for curving around bends
Ultra-bright but running at low temperature
Input volts: DC 12V
Viewing Angle : 120°
Long life span 50,000+ hours
Color: Pure White (Waterproof )

You can cut every third light without damaging the string. The cut lines are clearly marked and connecting wires to the cut pieces is very simple. I made a three light string and was very surprised at how bright these lights are. This little 3 light string measures 2" by 1/2".

I can place something like this on the ceiling of a building and light the interior. Someone also suggested putting the string in a straw to simulate a tube light. What I was hoping is that some of you might have some other ideas on how to use these. Light poles, ground level lighting, bridge lighting, etc. I know some of you have already done this before so I was hoping to see what you did.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by greenjo2; 03-26-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 PM
International Racer

Default Lighted Bridge

Well I've completed my first lighting project. I've wanted to have a couple of lighted bridges in my layout but no one makes one 8 foot long, which is what I need. So I decided to build my own with the LED's that I purchased.

I'm going to start with this section for the first of two 8 foot lighted bridges.

I used 1/4" plywood with 1"x2"s installed on the outside to act as guard rails. It is just wide enough for a two lane piece of plastic track to fit inside.

I then wired LED's on alternating sides of the bridge, 3 on each side and then 3 LED's underneath. Then I hooked up some power and there was light.

With the room lights on.

I'm still working on track side lighting around the track and some building lighting projects.

Last edited by greenjo2; 03-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Novice Racer
View Wannarace's Photo Album

Wow, those are some bright lights! I like it!

Looks like you've taken the digital bits out, how come? (just curious) Scenery is coming along nicely, keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your pics!

ted
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
International Racer

Default 1st bridge installed

I got the bridge installed!

Day time pics

Night time pics

Last edited by greenjo2; 03-26-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Championship Contender
View Jisp's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjo2 View Post
Mate, that photo alone "sells" your idea. Looks sensational, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 AM
International Racer

Default Homemade LED Light Poles

I've been trying to come with a way to use the LED's as track lights mounted on some kind of pole to resemble a street light.

After a few proto types heres what I've come up with so far. It looks a little like a giant safety razor as much as it does a street light.

I'm still trying to come up with a base for it. I hooked some power up to it and I was pleased with the amount of light it gives off.

Last edited by greenjo2; 03-27-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 AM
International Racer
View JJJ's Photo Album

Great idea, looks nice!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:08 PM
International Racer

Default Lighted Dunlop Pedestrian Bridge

I have two of these in the layout and decided that a few lights underneath would be good for night racing. i keep cutting that 5m roll of LED's but it doesn't seem like I'm making a dent in it.

Last edited by greenjo2; 03-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 PM
International Racer
View JJJ's Photo Album

I did that with mine too, but if you don't want light bleed you need to lay down something like gorilla tape first, under the light.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:47 PM
International Racer

Default power taps and more power taps

Converting a digital track to an analog one means that the 3 wall warts that powered the digital track are gone and now I need some power taps to go with the new 12v variable power supply. Given that this track is about 115' long, I estimated I should have 11 power taps. I got the soldering iron out and got to work.