Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
National Racer
View Rallymaster's Photo Album

Default What would it take....

....to get one of these

Scalextric Matmut

to the point that it can compete with one of these?

NSR Audi.

Or how much would it take to get one of these

Auto Art Porsche.

to compete with one of these

NSR Porsche.

Is it even possible with a $75 to $80 budget per car?
Also, i may need some help finding the specs as far as track width, wheel size, etc. On the Peugeot cus unless i buy it today, i wont be able to find it(i absolutely stink at research, so i need all the help i can get)

Pls if you have a response speak up, ill be hitting my local shop to get a new car(or 2) in a few hours, so i would like to know what parts i should also get.

Thanks!

Last edited by Scaleracing; 04-14-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: added images from Electric Dreams rather than html links.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Championship Contender
View Marcus Antilles's Photo Album

I gutted an SCX 'Vette and used all Slot It parts with Orange endbell motor and I think I got close to the NSR 'Vette, but I think the NSR is a "boxer/flat 6" type. The Slot It orange just got out accelerated. If I were to try to go after an NSR again I think I would use the Slot It Flat-6R.

As far as budget goes, this is what I used from 132slotcar. I will let you look up the prices . . .
Slot It Inline Pro axle system w/ lg alum wheels/inserts
Slot It Orange endbell motor
Slot It Front axle w/ alum wheels/inserts
NSR rear tires
Sloting Plus axle spacers
Old 04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Top Qualifier
View monquispot's Photo Album

Don't expect to make the AA Porsche run with an NSR Porsche. If both parties are allowed to make the same adjustments then the NSR has a huge lead from the get go and is easier to adjust.

The scaley Peugeot. Are you running with magnets? If so then good axles/bearings/wheels/gears teamed with the right motor might be able to overcome all of NSRs adjustments.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Championship Contender
View martini917k's Photo Album

no-mag? neither will do what you want.
The AA Porsche is beautiful but horrible. If the Scaley Peugeot is a SW you may be able to make it fast, but it will never compete w/ the likes of NSR, Avant Slot, Slot.it. The old Spirit Pro series Dallara & Reynard are very good, as is the SCX Pro Audi.
w/ mags? Throw $50 @ either car & it will still lag behind the NSR's
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
National Racer
View Octagon Spirit's Photo Album

If you're competing on wood, the first thing that will catch you out about the Scaley is that it has the miserable self-centering Scaley guide which is too shallow and too wobbly for the speeds of a routed track even with the standard Mabuchi motor. Following that, it's not a pod chassis which SEVERELY limits set-up options and is an inline machine, which creates a ton of driveline drag especially in corners, as well as affords poor weight distribution compared to an anglewinder driveline.

When you couple that to the fact that the Scaley's chassis is engineered around scale height wheels, rather than being compromised in bushing heights so that it could run competition standard size wheels (either 15 or 17mm, typically), you have a car that will be difficult to build into a competitive machine by any stretch of the imagination.

If what you want to race, genuinely, is a Peugeot 908 then Avant Slot produces an EXCELLENT one that I have personally seen run as an absolute missile even when downmotored with the Slot-It Orange endbell Mabuchi.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 AM
National Racer
View Rallymaster's Photo Album

Ok thanks guys. My lhs didnt have either of those cars in stock, so had to suffer with one of these

and i also have the 2012 lemans Peugeot, which shold show up on my front walkway in a few days. So i have to ask again, what needs to be done to this car to make it a top preformer, able to compete both in mag and non-mag enduro races? These races are normally about 4 to 5 hours long.

Last edited by Scaleracing; 04-14-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 AM
International Racer
View JBriggsK9's Photo Album

The Avant is a great running car but to run with the NSR's you need to change out the motor if allowed To the same motor as the NSR's, then get the aluminum motor pod with the ball bearing, then put Slot-it wheels to replace the stock wheels,Slot It gears and guide. and whatever tires work best for the track you are running on.. Tjat will put you close to the NSR.

You are out of luck for magnet racing as Avant is a non-magnet car to start with..

Chris
Old 04-14-2012, 07:51 AM
SCI Administrator
View Scaleracing's Photo Album

Default Not the best magnet car I agree.

Images from www.electricdreams.com

But they do have a magnet fitted.

Here we find they are very competitive once set up well, but depending on Track and tires used.

We are running no magnet with Scaleauto SC-2007 rear wheel/tires, set up the pod right and the car is very competitive with all the other Top Brands.

Alan
Old 04-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Championship Contender
View SuperSlab's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallymaster View Post
... so had to suffer with one of these.
Hhmm, "suffering" is not what springs to mind when I think of my Avant Spyder. On a tightish wood track, no mag it is pretty much the equal of any car I have. Lap times are similar to a whole bunch of my NSR's (Mosler, Audi, P68 etc). It is one of like 4 of my cars that have ever turned a sub-8 second lap on Luf's Targa.

If that is suffering... bring on more suffering!
Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Championship Contender
View ckouba's Photo Album

Rallymaster,

If you're worried about performance on a budget yet your target is NSR, do yourself a favor and choose the tool for the job. If your budget is $80 each, save a few extra $'s by skipping lunch one day and drop $87 at a site sponsor for an Audi white kit. It goes up to skipping dinner for the 997, it's $96 for the white kit.

In the end you'll have the motor you're looking for, the wheels, the chassis, all the components you'll be wanting... all in your hands already. It's only $7 extra to do it right the first time (at least for the Audi).

To help yourself sleep easy with it, look at the prices of what you'll need to purchase to obtain the competitiveness- motor, light wheels, tires, axles, inserts (maybe). If you start with a $50 car, you will quickly chew up your budget and still have to (read: hope you can) figure out how to make it fast to compete. My thoughts are if someone on the forum has done it already, we'd be reading about how the Scaley's compete with/beat NSR's on a regular basis.

But we don't.

That's not to say it can't be done, and I certainly wouldn't want to discourage your enthusiasm. For my money and time, if I'm hoping to enjoy a new hobby, I'd rather tune a winning combination than pioneer my way through the unknown.

Best of luck with either endeavor and please share your results if you go down the Scalextric path. I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Chris
Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM
World Champion
View ElSecundo's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckouba View Post
If you're worried about performance on a budget yet your target is NSR, do yourself a favor and choose the tool for the job.
This is winning thinking, in my opinion.

If you were trying to pick a real car to beat a Porsche GT3 at Sebring, you could pick a Chevy Cavalier as a starting point, and bolt on all the go-fast bits and hope to get it sorted out as well as the GT3. In the end, you'd spend about as much money, and probably find out that you need to replace everything Chevrolet put in there in order to have a prayer, and even then, you'll probably still be out of luck.

Unless you're a great and experienced tuner looking for a challenge, I'd strongly recommend fighting fire with fire. If your goal isn't to win but you want the tuning experience, go down the path you're currently taking.

So it really depends on what you want out of the racing experience.