NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-15-2017, 09:53 AM
International Racer
View Wood0209's Photo Album

Getting back to the actual construction of this table.

What sort of lumber would you suggest?

I am considering making a frame for the table made with 1x4's. The frame itself would measure 4x8 or 6x8. The idea would then be to use plywood to make the table top 6x10. The issue is then how to do a boarder on the outer edge and what material to use. To help secure whatever it is that gets used, I would add a narrow trim of wood on the underside of the plywood to give more of an edge to secure the boarder onto.

My other conundrum is then do I keep the corners square, or round them off. I like the idea of rounded corners. I see no benefit in square corners other than for a less complex construction design, particularly with doing a boarder. But that can be corrected if I used a flexible material.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:32 PM
Top Qualifier
View bibbster's Photo Album

Having read through the entire thread, and having built several tracks, both plastic and wood, over the years, before you buy any lumber, consider using a ping pong table. I know you mentioned landscaping, but that stuff just gets in the way. It looks neat and all of that, but in my opinion, if you are racing, the landscape disappears.

A ping pong table is 5' x 9' and will fold up. You can easily add 1/4" plywood to the top to get your 6' x 10'. You may be able to go a little bigger considering it would fold.

I built a Sclextric track in the same manner and it worked great. The only downside is that you have to sacrifice a few pieces of track (cut them in half) and so a little bit of soldering to make the connection between each half. It's not hard to do at all.

In addition to that, many folks will just about give away ping pong tables that they are done with just because they want them gone. I paid $40 for mine and it came with a cover. Plus, if you get tired of the slot car track (it happens), you will have a ping pong table to entertain you.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM
International Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibbster View Post
Having read through the entire thread, and having built several tracks, both plastic and wood, over the years, before you buy any lumber, consider using a ping pong table. I know you mentioned landscaping, but that stuff just gets in the way. It looks neat and all of that, but in my opinion, if you are racing, the landscape disappears.

A ping pong table is 5' x 9' and will fold up. You can easily add 1/4" plywood to the top to get your 6' x 10'. You may be able to go a little bigger considering it would fold.

I built a Sclextric track in the same manner and it worked great. The only downside is that you have to sacrifice a few pieces of track (cut them in half) and so a little bit of soldering to make the connection between each half. It's not hard to do at all.

In addition to that, many folks will just about give away ping pong tables that they are done with just because they want them gone. I paid $40 for mine and it came with a cover. Plus, if you get tired of the slot car track (it happens), you will have a ping pong table to entertain you.
I've seriously considered that, and keep going back and forth on that exact option.

Did you expand yours with additional plywood? If so, did you mount it directly to the top of the existing playing surface, or did you remove it and mount the plywood to support structure of the ping pong table?

I get what you're saying regarding the landscaping. I don't want to get overboard. The slot cars are intended as something for my kids and I to have something to play with and have their friends enjoy it to. My oldest daughter is getting excited about the idea of landscaping so I don't intend to take that away from her. We both plan to keep it minimalist in that because we're building an oval to start, we'll likely replicate what an oval track would actually look like in some way so that it is more than just a track on wood.

I have been keeping my eye out for a pool table that needed some work in hopes of getting it on the cheap. I think it would make for a great looking table. But there are some ping pong tables out there at good prices too. Might just make the most economic sense.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:12 PM
National Racer
View legrandnormand's Photo Album

A ping pong table is a lot cheaper to buy and to install then a pool table.
BTW, you cannot fold or move a pool table as easily !
p.s I have my 8' X 20. table for my race track and a full size pool table intalled in my large basement

Last edited by legrandnormand; 06-15-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:14 PM
International Racer

Found a used ping pong table for $30 online, hoping to get a response from the seller.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 AM
Top Qualifier
View bibbster's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood0209 View Post
Did you expand yours with additional plywood? If so, did you mount it directly to the top of the existing playing surface, or did you remove it and mount the plywood to support structure of the ping pong table?
I didn't expand the surface since the track plan I had didn't call for it and i wasn't doing scenery. That being said, I'd just lay your plywood right on top. If you are concerned about maintaining the table surface should you ever want to sell it, I would just make a three sided frame using 2x2 for each half of the table and attach your plywood to that. Essentially it will then just nest on top of the existing table surface. After test fitting and folding, a couple small dabs of silicone in each corner of the frame (between your assembled frame and the table surface's edge) will hold it in place.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:02 AM
International Racer

I haven't had any luck finding a cheap used ping pong table. $50 is my limit on that given that amount would exceed the cost of materials to build a table myself. There have been a number of tables posted online for $50 and less, but either they have been sold quickly or the sellers have never responded to me. From $50 the price is jumping up $100 or more.

I already have two folding table legs from my hollow core door table that I originally made for my HO track. Getting a second set will cost about $35, and I figure I should be able to get the rest of the table building materials for $50, the bulk of it being the plywood which would be required even with a ping pong table.

Will continue to keep my eyes peeled as I can't buy the lumber until this weekend. So maybe something does come up that I can get.