1966 Porsche 906 28 11.11%
1966 Ferrari 275GTB 56 22.22%
Other 38 15.08%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Championship Contender
View fastlap's Photo Album

Default good McLaren history

Good info, and you're correct in that Aurora/AFX did indeed use the McLaren M-12 as it's body. But, most do not know that. And, in fact as far as our little HO scale goes, they also put the M8A Auto World livery on those slot cars. If you look at your two photos of the A and B the most glaring differences is the front wheel openings and the rump of the rear end. I used the AFX body and massaged it a bit, leaving the M-12 or M8A rear end treatment, however, opened up the front wheel opening to emulate the M8B. My resin stuff is more hybrid so I don't get the slam that I am plagerizing. I use the M8B designation for my cast as a reference only. Here is a sample of my resin cast with the '69 Koveleski M8B livery. But yes...you are correct to say this body is more M-12.

Enjoy.
(Oh BTW...the #10 is incorrect and was used for this car which I donated to a charity cause. Their theme was a "Pool Ball" contest. The corrct number for this livery was #54)

Last edited by fastlap; 02-28-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Novice Racer
View resinmonger's Photo Album

Default Your Hybrid Rocks!

Thanks for your reply and the additional photos. My eye was drawn to the cockpit area, which resembles the M12’s and I failed to note how you had put much great work into the nose and front wheel arch. The M8A and M8B had a full width cockpit/windscreen where as the M12's cockpit is little more than a opening for the driver. This is similar to comparing the Porsche 908.02 spyder with the 908.03 in the cockpit area. Please forgive the fact that the HO side of my brain has been corrupted by too many years of exposure to 1/43 static models. I certainly wood be happy to add one or more of these to my HO stable. Did you use Pattos Place decals on the charity model?
I really admire how low you have gotten this car. My AFX versions have ground clearances that make them look like they are ready for the Paris-Dakar rally in spit of all lowering effort. Body height is my only real issue with the classic pancake chassis; I see that overcome this with the 440X2 and Life Like chassis. The original G-Plus chassis is also good for allowing the cars to sit lower to the ground but it has non-adjustable front wheels. You must be eagerly waiting the possibilities of the new AFX chassis given how accurate the Panoz mock up appeared.
BTW your Nissan GTP pictures that appear elsewhere are just awesome.

I read the "which chassis" dialogue on the GTP and can only say that I would put what ever chassis you made the body for into the body. Do you have any left?
I have an extensive book collection and 1/43rd model collection and would be happy to assist with detail info for any of your future projects.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Championship Contender
View fastlap's Photo Album

Default cool

Resinmonger,

Good eye. The M-12 as AFX modeled it is how I left the cockpit area. I will probably open the area up when the new chassis (AFX) comes out to get that wider opening. I will do a clear windscreen also. If you would like a couple of these McLarens, PM me and I will let you know how to get them.

As far as the Nissan GTP? I need to get that out now!!! Too many people have been asking for it. That news is going on the old "Nissan GTP" thread.

Now, here is the big hangup with me and my lack of production. I would love to make every body that suits my fancy. I would also like to get everyone the bodies that they are requesting. BUT...here is the reson I am holding off for now. Like you stated, I can have a field-day with all my masters as long my bodies will adapt to the new RaceMasters AFX chassis. I may need to tweak all the bodies to fit it's wheelbase , so I am holding off until it comes out. It should be readily available by this fall '08. Then will be the time I will be mass producing my "FastBodies" as I did a few years ago. Hope that explains why I haven't been coming out with much.

Gary
Old 03-03-2008, 11:59 PM
International Racer
View Mickey Garlock's Photo Album

Ford Pantera
Old 04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
International Racer
View Crimnick's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Garlock View Post
Ford Pantera
Also the most owner customized production vehicle ever made.....almost no two are alike...

Sorry....trivia...

There is a guy that runs a pantera in the pony express 100 every year...super charged 460..went through the traps over 200 mph....street legal.

But I digress...

http://www.ponyexpress100.org/

Yes...if you can pass tech inspection....you can run it....

I have plans to make this run in the not to distant future...

Last edited by Crimnick; 04-20-2008 at 09:02 PM. Reason: yeah...like I cant spell owner...
Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM
International Racer
View ScooterMcCoy's Photo Album

I voted Lola because that was the best (IMO) available choice, but I definitely come down in the 917K camp. The variety of liveries alone makes it a great candidate. Add the 917L and some of the experimentals like the Pink Pig then the Can Am family redone in HiDef and that would be a gold mine! Love to have a really nicely worked up Mark Donahue Sunoco 917/30 with correct wheels.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Pit Crew

My vote would be for the 917's as well... I've been monitoring ebay and the 917's are selling quite well for as plentiful as they are. I believe Steve McQueen's LeMans movie inspired a generation of racing enthusiasts. The body shape would handle very similarly to the GT40's. And while they were a few years apart historically... they would look good racing against one another on the same track.

"Racing is life... everything in between is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 AM
International Racer
View pshoe64's Photo Album

Default I have the GT 40 Mk IVs

Just finished the mold and made the first casts. The body fits really well on the new AW S-III, but can also be used on other long wheel base chassis. PM me if you are interested in getting one of these. Right now I only have unfinished versions. I may post some painted and detailed cars at a later date. I'm rebuilding my airbrush booth, so it will be a few weeks before I start selling finished cars, but the unfinished ones are readily available.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Top Qualifier
View masmojo's Photo Album

Talking RE: Vote

I voted Lola T-70, but that's really a second or third choice since my first couple would be Ferrari's! P-4 and/or 330P

Maybe a 936?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Novice Racer
View Z Man's Photo Album

LOLA all the waaaay!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:32 PM
National Racer
View *MAYHEM*'s Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachyon65 View Post
My vote would be for the 917's as well... I've been monitoring ebay and the 917's are selling quite well for as plentiful as they are. I believe Steve McQueen's LeMans movie inspired a generation of racing enthusiasts. The body shape would handle very similarly to the GT40's. And while they were a few years apart historically... they would look good racing against one another on the same track.

"Racing is life... everything in between is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Acttually, Jackie Ickx beat the first 917s in the 1969 Lemans driving a GT40 Mk II. And a couple privateers ran GT40s in '70. (the first year for the 917k) Lola T70s ran both years, so all of them shared the track. I'd love to see a long tail version of the 917 produced, but The Lola T70 was just a beatiful car.

"When I see an accident, I put my foot down HARD. Because I know, everyone else is lifting theirs." Yves Montand as Jean-Pierre Sarti in Grand Prix
Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Novice Racer
View 75_ferrari_512m's Photo Album

Ok just my 2 cents here, but seeing that without Ferrari there would never have been a GT40, then you have to vote for a Ferrari match to the Ford GT40. I know you all know the story about Ford wanting to buy Ferrari and Enzo saying no. This lead Henry Ford to demand a car be built to beat Ferrari at Le Mans...and the GT40 was born.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned
View NicoRosberg.'s Photo Album

No idea of how this old thread of mine got back up, when I got the notication a couple of days ago the most recent post was Jan 5th.

Anyway, we got our answer: 2D and Cobra Clears

I will now start a new poll.

Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 04-10-2009 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Novice Racer

917 like the Lemans movie, numbers #20 and # 21
Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Club Racer
View chaparrAL's Photo Album

McClaren is also very protective of it s name .This is why a certain mfr does not name his cars after existing brandnames .Example : Snark , But it looks kinda like a jaguar.