NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 07-20-2017, 10:32 AM
International Racer
View BIG E's Photo Album

To my knowledge, the Ferrari and McLaren bodies included with the old A/FX Hop Up Kit were molded out of something other than Lexan, they were not as flexible and started to yellow slightly as the years passed. My guess is butyrate plastic, but it may have been something else, I can never get a straight answer on this from all the people I've spoken to over the years that had an "inside" at Aurora Plastics.
Either way, I've been painting clear vacuumed formed bodies since the mid 1960s, and had done a fairly good detailing job on my two A/FX bodies back in the day. They were mounted to TYCO PRO chassis and set up to run on 1/24 scale commercial tracks, which was just for fun at the time. Regardless, your job of finishing blows away anything I have seen to date on those two particular A/FX bodies, which look to have been pulled right over their injection molded production corporate cousins. You are to be congratulated on your work, and thanks for sharing the photos which brought back some good memories.
Excellent work! -- Ernie :>)

Last edited by BIG E; 07-20-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Novice Racer

akahollywood.I received your message & responded that I will take them all. Not sure why you didn't get my responce. Kind of new at using this board.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:22 AM
Novice Racer
View akahollywood's Photo Album

Message received and responded.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 AM
Championship Contender
View Speedhoppy's Photo Album

Ernie, that's really a nice compliment you gave on my two cars; thank you. So they are not Lexan? I just thought they were a slightly thicker version! I do think that the detail they have is much better than is typical (even the rivet detail for the Ferrari is there). Too bad that material wasn't continued.
Here is another pic, showing the backside detail to the McLaren , done with stick-on decals.

Both of these sit on BSRT "G-Jet" chassis, with Grey "2-dot" chassis magnets replacing the brass weights (but I left the brass "Button" weight on the front end), and Wizard independent front ends. I run these cars at 22 volts (with absolutely no issues reliability-wise) on my home sectional track..

Last edited by Speedhoppy; 07-22-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Pictures/sentencing added
Old 07-23-2017, 12:02 AM
International Racer
View BIG E's Photo Album

Yes, to my knowledge, they are not Lexan, but that of course is not the final word on the matter, right?
I'll have to say again, very nicely done. And thanks for the additional photos!
Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)