MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 09-05-2018, 04:23 PM
Club Racer
View jaws's Photo Album

Default Scalextric wheels

I just received the Scalextric 1970 Trans Am Camaro, the new red and white car. I runs good, so I put a set of Super Tires silicone tires on it to see how the new tires would change the performance. The new tires worked better on my track, but when I took a close look at the car I noticed that the tires were not flat on the track. The inside edge of the tires were raised off the track/setup block. So I removed the body and measured the wheel diameter. the inside diameter is 0.020 of an inch less. I knew that the Javelin wheels were this way, but I didn't expect the Camaro wheel to be this way. I then looked at a couple other newer cars I have and found another car with the inside diameter smaller.

Is their a reason for this change? The one problem I have, do the tires only fit on the wheels one way? If they only fit one way, the new Trans Am tires don't have lettering, so I don't know which way is inside.

Jim W
Old 11-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Club Racer
View jaws's Photo Album

Does anyone else have a problem with putting silicone tires on Scalextric wheels and the tread of the tire is not flat to the track/set up block?

Jim W
Old 11-01-2018, 12:43 PM
Championship Contender
View CincySlots's Photo Album

Jim,

This would be a good video for me to make. I have the same Camaro and with a little work, this sucker flies. Since my wheels were like yours, I set off to fix the problem. Well the best you can do with plastic wheels. I trued up the back wheels. You still don't get the perfect contact patch but it is better. If you know what filament(string tape) tape is, I put a single wrap on the inside of the wheel. More data on that coming soon.

The front wheels are more tricky. You can't remove them without taking one of the wheels off. So what I did was take my dremel and cut a groove in the top of the chassis/bushing and CAREFULLY removed it. Leaving just enough so they will snap in and out. The fewer times you remove and replace the better. Some chassis's can be brittle. It's one of those AT YOUR OWN RISK jobs. Mine is silky smooth. I wish Scaley would redesign the front axle holder.

I'll put a video together sometime on how to do this.

Bruce
Old 11-09-2018, 01:56 AM
Championship Contender
View Black3sr's Photo Album

The newer Supers only fit one way. The rounded shoulder to the outside. Old and new are also cupped on one side and that goes to the inside of the wheel. Rather easy to determine but would not be the first time one has been put on backwards.

I just true up the front tires by putting them on the rear and attacking them with a BIC and sanding blocks.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Club Racer
View jaws's Photo Album

I was wanting to know if the stock tires have a way to tell which is inside of the tire. I have measured some of my tires and they appear to be a 0.020" difference in size, on one side of the tire. I don't know if the stock tires are made that way or have stretched and shrank that way from being on the stock wheels. I have marked the tires on the "inside" with a silver marker "Sharpie".

Jim W