MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 06-18-2017, 05:32 PM
International Racer
View Wood0209's Photo Album

Default Fixing the "lame duck"...

I have one car of my bunch that comes up lame when compared to the others, a Lamborghini Hurrican. All my vehicles are stock Carrera brand. This particular car is one of the two cars that came with my set which I purchased (very slight used) a few months ago. Until recently these two cars ran equally. Now, however, is a different story. One of the cars comes up lame. I noticed this yesterday when having my kids and their friends play. I set all cars to 10% power, and all cars were competitive with one another but this one. The other Hurrican that came with the set ran well, but a touch slower than the other two cars being used, I equated that to a used car vs. two brand new cars cracked out of their cases that day.

So this evening I took the two Hurrican's to the "shop". Removed the bodies and cleaned the insides as much as possible removing as much lint and hair as I possibly could. I oiled the axle bushings on all 4 corners and added a touch of oil to the gearing (they still seemed well greased though). I noticed an improvement on both cars right away as to how freely the wheels moved. But still, when I put the lame Hurrican on the track, it is just that, lame. In order to have it compete with the other cars set at 10% power, this one needs to be set at 30%.

What more can I do with the car to keep it in its current condition to get it back up to speed? I have not replaced the braids yet, they don't seem to be at that point just yet. I do though keep adjusting them, even "reversed" them how they were installed so that I could expose the "clean" side to the track surface. Still no luck.

Any tips?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:32 PM
National Racer
View Drewbert34's Photo Album

I had a lame car in a set I bought. I eventually swapped the motor out.

More recently I reused this motor in a car serving "ghost car" only duty. Perfect for a lame motor.

In a nutshell, it happens.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 AM
International Racer

The weird part is that it wasn't lame to begin with. Both Hurricans in the set were equal with only a minor difference between the two, but now one of them has dropped off.

I do plan to get a few extra cars. Is there anything else I should check before assuming it's the motor?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Championship Contender
View JDR's Photo Album

If the body is not binding on the tires, and if you have good electrical contact, there is not much else that could slow the car down, unless the motor is going bad. You could take the motor out, submerge it in Isopropyl alcohol, connect it to about 6 volts and let it run for about 10 - 15 minutes. That will clean any oil residue off the commutator and seat the brushes a little better. Be sure to have the motor completely submerged before you add the power, otherwise sparks could cause a fire. When you reassemble the motor, use a TINY drop of oil on the bushing opposite the commutator which is sometimes called the bell end.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 AM
International Racer

Thanks guys. I probably won't get into those steps assuming that would require soldering etc. I just don't have those tools handy and for me personally the slot cars are more of a toy for my kids and I to enjoy together.

They just got new cars for themselves, I plan to pick up a couple more as a part of a used set I am hoping to buy, which will likely bump these Hurricane's to being spares/ghosts in any event.

I just can't see anything on this particular car that would cause it to be slow compared to the other. They each collected the same amount of hair, etc, so I guess it is reasonable to believe it is the motor.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

One reason for the motor slowing down is that dust from the motor brushes has gotten caught in the slots in the commutator and caused a short. Most of the time you can remove the dust using some spray electrical contact cleaner, CRC is a common brand. The contact cleaner comes with a length of plastic tubing and you can use that to direct the spray through one of the small holes in the top of the motor case at the endbell end and on to the commutator while the motor is running. You only have to remove the car's body to get access to the top of the motor. Sometimes the dust can't be removed with contact cleaner and the motor has to be taken apart to scrape out the slots. I do not recommend that a novice should do that however.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Championship Contender
View DrumPhil's Photo Album

Since your cars are Carrera digital, all of the wiring is connected by plugs at the chip. That makes it easy to swap parts between cars to test and identify exactly where the problem is.

You could swap motors between two cars and see if the problem stays with the car or follows the motor. If the problem is not in the motor, it could also be the chip. Plug-and-play replacement parts are easy to swap in.

Something else that causes intermittent problems is if one of the wiring connections inside the car is occasionally losing contact. For example, I had a car that had one wire to the braids that the solder joint was breaking. The car would run okay, but then lose power at a turn. It ended up being a pretty easy fix with a little solder.

I didn't have much practice with soldering before getting into slot cars. So I bought a cheap soldering kit at Radio Shack and started practicing. It's not hard once you try it. The wiring inside slot cars is really quite straightforward and basic.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:42 PM
International Racer

Thanks. I will try the electrical contact cleaner as that is up my "skill set' nicely!

Would any of you have resources either to an article or video with detailed maintenance tips? Coming from AFX, one thing I liked was AFX had a number of detailed videos as to how to address common problems. I can't seem to find something similar as it relates to Carrera 1/32 cars.