Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Scale Racing > HO Scale Slot Cars

View Poll Results: IN YOUR OPINION WILL THE SLOT CAR HOBBY GROW OR FALL IN 10 YEARS?
I SEE IT GROWING 6 17.65%
I SEE IT DECLINING 21 61.76%
I SEE IT STAGNATING 6 17.65%
I JUST WANNA WATCH 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2019, 02:00 PM
National Racer
View Tudo's Photo Album

Default How many Collectors-Racers-Dealers?

In my other hobby, which is actually my profession of 30+ years, many of us believe there's many millions of collectors and about 8,000 full time dealers in the USA and many more around the world. Here's one fellows idea of how many exist on larry king live:

Ian Russell of GreatCollections estimated there are 10 million coin collectors in the U.S. on Larry King Now...
http://www.coinworld.com/news/larry-king-talks-coins-with-ian-russell-of-greatcollections-com.html

The coin business in some ways has declined in recent years while in other areas has grown by leaps and bounds. I predict a solid future for the hobby due to more information available , more input from the US mint, more headline coins selling for millions of dollars each being reported in the mainstream press.

Does anyone have an idea of the numbers of racers, collectors, dealers in the slot car business and more specifically, in the HO arena? In the USA, Europe, Asia?

Where do you see the slot car hobby/profession in 5 years, 10 years, 20?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:22 AM
Banned
View NicoRosberg.'s Photo Album

No idea on EU numbers, other than there are no dealers in the UK, and perhaps a couple of dozen or so collectors. Racers remain in the 50-100 area they have been in for many years.

I think HO will continue to decline, unless more of us left start showing our tracks off in public places, and holding race meets in public, with club cars and controllers as good as our own stuff.....
Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Championship Contender
View Speedhoppy's Photo Album

Slot cars is a "niche" hobby, kept alive by those who, as kids, first became enthralled in what was (at the time) THE "video game" of today. As adults, we can now afford to acquire what was maybe out of reach (even though the prices were tiny compared to now).
Today's younger generation never even knew it existed, unless "Daddy" put up a layout and showed it to their kids and those friends who came over. I remember my own son's H.S. friends seeing my layout, and either said two things: 1. What IS that; 2." Oh, yea, my Dad had one of those". And, while they liked to race on it, none of them considered buying a set themselves; too busy buying R/C cars, helicopters (or now drones), or getting increasingly complicated video consoles......
I have no idea how many collectors, racers, or hobbyists exist for slot cars in general, or HO (my preferred scale) in particular. I just know I have (through this Forum) gotten to know many more people involved with slot cars than I ever thought existed, and have become friends with many of them as well. When I go to a slot car show in my area (Midwest & Milwaukee shows in particular), I see and talk to plenty of people who enjoy collecting, racing (on whatever level), and making their layouts and cars BETTER.
I am looking forward to continuing in this hobby for the rest of my life; I have enough bodies, components, etc. to keep me occupied without ever buying another thing, if I choose. Most of all, I look forward to getting with my "race buds", and "having at it" on either their layouts, or getting a new one up in our new home. The friendship is worth it, whether the hobby grows or not.......

Last edited by Speedhoppy; 01-08-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: corrections of sentencing
Old 01-08-2019, 08:36 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
No idea on EU numbers, other than there are no dealers in the UK, and perhaps a couple of dozen or so collectors. Racers remain in the 50-100 area they have been in for many years.
I realize that there isn't anything like the market penetration that exists in the US, but find it remarkable that in a country of 66 million people there are less than 200 HO enthusiasts.

Would be good to hear from folks like Mazda, Top Down (or anybody from the HO-UK Slot Car Association for that matter), or perhaps Woodcote to get their impression of the situation and level of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedhoppy View Post
I am looking forward to continuing in this hobby for the rest of my life; I have enough bodies, components, etc. to keep me occupied without ever buying another thing, if I choose. Most of all, I look forward to getting with my "race buds", and "having at it" on either their layouts, or getting a new one up in our new home. The friendship is worth it, whether the hobby grows or not.......
Yeah I think this type of positive attitude permeates the hobby, in all scales. Both the anticipation of continuing to enjoy it as a (perhaps long time) hobbyist and enjoyment of the camaraderie of racing.

Tudo, I really don't know where it's going, and maybe I'm an idiot optimist. But if you look at the hobby overall, it's continuing to develop and attract new interest, I reckon. And SCI is surely a testament to the long-term enjoyment that many of us have derived from it. The future may be brighter than we think!
Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Championship Contender
View fastlap's Photo Album

I voted; I see it declining.

However, as Mark pointed out, I can also see myself enjoying this fantastic hobby for the rest of my life. It really satisfies my creative side of modeling. I too, enjoy getting together with friends to race and chat. It's never about who crosses the finish line first, but the quality time we spend together. My face lights up the most when my grandkids are racing. I can't get the smile off my face. Yes, it's a hobby that fascinates our generation, and may in fact, fade away when our generation does. That will be a sad day indeed. Many thanks to Alan and SCI. It is the only slot car BBB I go to.

Keep 'em in the slot boys!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:53 AM
Banned

Default By 'Racers' I meant the club guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Coast Racer View Post
I realize that there isn't anything like the market penetration that exists in the US, but find it remarkable that in a country of 66 million people there are less than 200 HO enthusiasts.

Would be good to hear from folks like Mazda, Top Down (or anybody from the HO-UK Slot Car Association for that matter), or perhaps Woodcote to get their impression of the situation and level of interest.
Mazda's and Top Down's clubs recently folded, the former from lack of interest in their very niche raison d'être, the later from lack of promotion. Woodcote's club is still going strong, albeit with numbers a little down on a few years ago. Derby continues to be a juggernaut. Beyond that we are just a few groups of guys dabbling, with just enough racers to fill the lanes.

Beyond these racers that make up my 50-100 you have those who have HO sets at home, or pick up a controller and thrash an HO car around at the annual Slot Festival.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 AM
National Racer
View Mazda's Photo Album

I would like to state that the Anglia Vintage HO Racing Association has not folded. I know that we encountered some problems last year but the club is still alive. We have as yet to get the racing started this year.
As far as there being only a small number of collectors in the UK, who can say for sure. Everybody who races surly has a small collection of cars so they must all be collectors to a certain extent. I attended a recent slot car Swapmeet at Orpington (on the outskirts of London) with a friend. We had a joint stall, he collects Scalextric and I collect and race HO slots. I also had some nice 1/32 scale cars for sale but I sold far more HO cars than 1/32. I am sure that there are more collectors that do not publicise it to the world.
I think the HO scene has stagnated in the UK the main reason for this is the fact that it is not possible to walk into a hobby shop and buy cars or sets. Hornby could corner the market over here if they were to produce realistic car sets instead of thinking that HO sets are purely for children. After all they did produce some nice bodies a few years ago but now only make cartoon type sets.
I have now started Proxy Drag Racing in the States now, which I am really enjoying, as apart from the AVHORC there are no clubs within easy reach to race HO cars for me.

Last edited by Mazda; 01-09-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:32 PM
Banned

I based my comments on your club on things Tony has said on social media.

Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 01-09-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:57 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda View Post
I would like to state that the Anglia Vintage HO Racing Association has not folded. I know that we encountered some problems last year but the club is still alive.
Good to hear, Clive, thanks for the info about your club.

Still hoping to hear from Top Down & Woodcote also about their local scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoRosberg. View Post
I based my comments on your club on things Tony has said on social media. More to follow....
Whoever this Tony is, if he wishes to post here he's welcome to. Second hand 'opinion' from some other site really isn't needed. And we do not need to have this thread wrecked by one of your interminable arguments, thank you.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Banned

I will ask Tony to pop along.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Championship Contender
View Speedhoppy's Photo Album

I am asking this question because I don't know; has there ever been a state/regional/national "convention" for the slot car industry? I am not talking about "swap meets" or the various club get together, but something broader in scale.......

In my chosen (now retired from) field of work (Credit Union Industry), our Illinois Credit Union League (Trade Association) holds an annual convention (usually at a hotel in the Chicago area) of 2-3 days, which includes speakers on the industry, classroom sessions on related topics for management/staff of state credit unions to attend, and an exhibit area where all related vendors/business partners can have a booth to demonstrate their products. It is also a social network, allowing CU employees and management from across the state to interact and share ideas "face to face".......

Imagine such a thing done for the slot car industry, sponsored by the various associations, the major manufacturers (this would include all scales, not just HO), even Slot Car Illustrated!

Educational Sessions could include: 1. Modifying various chassis; 2. Proper painting techniques for plastic/Lexan/cast-resin bodies; 3. Utilizing the "new" technologies to make parts (chassis/bodies/wheels/etc.); 4. The "State of The Union" of the Industry itself. That list could be whatever was determined relevant.

Who could/ would be the speakers? Any number from the slot car movement , including members of this Forum, and from the manufacturers, clubs, etc.

Demonstration races could be/should be held (in all scales), as well; would that not attract interest?

The question is whether or not everyone who could contribute would participate, and whether or not the funding would be there. I don't know if it is feasible to do a National meeting (would / has the U.K. done this?), or regional, but that is something I would want to attend.

Again, if this has been done (I might be operating in a vacuum here), share what the results were; maybe (if it failed) it could be improved ........

Last edited by Speedhoppy; 01-10-2019 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Additional sentencing
Old 01-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Championship Contender
View downtowndeco's Photo Album

Not that I know of but I would really be into that. Model railroaders have a big national convention every year and also have lots of smaller niche conventions.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:43 AM
Championship Contender
View Al's slotracing's Photo Album

While the word "convention" isn't used, there slot racing are events which cover quite a lot of the ground.

The annual UK Slot Festival is an example of a meeting where there are races, talks from experts about various aspects of slotting, demonstrations of new products, trade stands etc. These events include all scales of slot car.

There are world, international, national and regional race meetings. As well as the racing, racers can learn so much about slotting both from other racers and the suppliers who have stands at these major events. Most of these events are for 1/32 and/or 1/24 slot cars.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Championship Contender
View fastlap's Photo Album

Maybe some energetic soul can see if there is a large 1/32 or 1/24 event like this in the US and try to piggyback the HO scale into it? Just thinking out loud......
Old 01-11-2019, 03:26 PM
International Racer
View NCSS's Photo Album

Every kid that has come to one of our slot car parties sure seemed to like it, many have been coming back (with parents of course) year after year. There's just something about having actual models that you can race that is fun. Biggest problem for most people is probably space, or in the case of we Merkans having too much **** stuff. ;-) The unspoken deal in our household is I keep the garage tidily organized in exchange for the land grant of 32 square feet. Sorry I haven't been around much suffered a massive computer failure right at Christmas. Happy racing to all.