AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > SCI Race and Events > Club Corner

Old 07-16-2009, 08:24 PM
International Racer
View Draconious's Photo Album

Default SlotCarRental Shelby Township, MI - Mobile SCX Digital Track

I guess I will post this in the club area.. since that is likely all this concept of mine will turn into, with the current economy...

I like to make my hobbies pay for them selves, one way to do that with slot cars is to rent out a track. I will be setting it up so I can do birthdays and other events... I might do a few freebies for BoysGirls club, and BigBrother/Sister or something at some point as well.

I will be bringing the track to customers, since there is no way I can afford a building. I was about to start A GAME STORE, when Blue Dragon Games closed, the track would have been in the corner... but I cannot get the funding to buy enough inventory and store figures as well as lease a good building etc... So I will just have to settle for the track only, and setting up my other hobby's Game Tournaments at temporary locations.

I plan on having a supre detailed track at some point, train layout style. For now it will just be a simple Oval and a Road corse on some custom made tables. I will be using Digital SCX cars and track, I like those the best, and feel they would be better and more interesting at parties and carnival booths.

I do not intend this to make much money, just pay for the slot cars I have, maybe some gas, some food, some bills. Although I am unemployed otherwise... so any funds would help I guess lol.

It likely isnt a good idea for me to start this now, I prolly wont get any customers, with Larry's RC, Motor City SlotCars, and the Dumars track all within spitting distance from me. But, it is just a hobby, if I happen to make some money so be it.

If I had the funds to MOVE OUT of the place I am in right now, I would move into one of those office/condo/apartment hybrids behind Circuit City, Near Costco... then use the Store/Office as a walk in Track location... maybe if any clubs need a space to put a track I can lease the space.. and put it next to one of my digital tracks?!

And the more feasible Small Oval:

Ron

Last edited by Scaleracing; 04-15-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: You have to be an advertiser here to post links.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Club Racer
View Fordguy05's Photo Album

Actually it is a great idea even in this economy in Michigan. A good way to start out would be to get in contact with a local company that rents out Moonwalks, games, and other party equipment and see if you can work out a deal to have them post it on their website. These guys are making money right now and usually they are willing to try new things.

I am actually working with a company in Livonia to build them a routed oval to rent out. I haven't made much progress lately or I would post pictures.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
International Racer
View Draconious's Photo Album

I keep hearing about more and more tracks that are already in this area... I guess mine will HAVE to be portable since there are so many here that are not portable.

Good to know people are spending money on party stuff, even in this economy...

I am doing a few things to help get the word out.

I just need to figure out a way to fit Super magnets under the cars so they fly off the track less.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Pit Crew

So are you renting your track out for parties? If so, please let me know the details.
THanks
Beth
[email protected]
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Novice Racer
View Races2U's Photo Album

Default Races2u

If you are serious about doing this, I am doing it already, with a fair bit of sucess. I think we could help each other out. Look me up via my name or website, and you can see pics and get an idea what I am doing. Email me at my website if you want to learn more.

Best regards!
Warren at Races2U
Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Pit Crew

I was just wondering how your guys track rentals have been going? I am just getting back into slot cars and think that digital is the way to go. I just don't know anyone in my area that does it so I thought about doing the mobile rental thing to fund the new hobby and also to spark an interest in the area. I just was wondering If you could help me out and give some pointers. Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Novice Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraudermatt View Post
I was just wondering how your guys track rentals have been going? I am just getting back into slot cars and think that digital is the way to go. I just don't know anyone in my area that does it so I thought about doing the mobile rental thing to fund the new hobby and also to spark an interest in the area. I just was wondering If you could help me out and give some pointers. Thanks

Hey Marauder Matt-
Sorry I didn't see this sooner! Find my website and contact me directly if you're still interested.
All the best,
Warren
Old 03-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Pit Crew

Default How to build

I see you setup a track and I was looking to do one like the one below with 12 cars if possible Digital Scalextric with wireless controllers any help on a design and do I buy the Platinum set and then build on that or do it just one parts and is it as simple as getting two six car sets and just combining them
http://s88452779.onlinehome.us/SlotCarRental/Graphics/SmallOval.jpg
Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 PM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

If you want to do more than 6 cars on the same track, you can check out Ninco digital, which does 8 cars. More than that, you'll need a wireless system like oXigen or Scorpius which can each handle up to 20 cars on the same track.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Novice Racer

Default Slot-It

I have just recently gotten into the oXigen system, and like it. I have chipped about 2 dozen cars and paired them with controllers, and actually have the ability to run 20 cars at a time. However, I haven't had 20 racers simultaneously yet. I did have 14, and that worked pretty well. Of course, I did have a beautiful woman in each turn as marshals, and that helped with all the crashes. My next step is to convert my Circuit of the Americas track to oXigen, which I am in the process of doing now. I'll let you all know how that works. Not doing it with Formula cars though, but I will do it with Porsche first to run a good GT3 cup.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 AM
Novice Racer

Default Mobile tracks

BTW- If you are still interested in doing a mobile track, please contact me off-line and we can talk about it. I'm doing pretty well with mine, and could actually use some help. Look me up and email or call me.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:02 AM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

Very cool. I saw your videos with oXigen cars and the lovely ladies. Well done.
I'm working on a modular/mobile track right now as well, but it will be SSD . Not big enough for more than 6 cars, anyway.