Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Championship Contender
View sportblazer350's Photo Album

Default 2015 Hardbody rules

Hi guys, there are new changes for the H&R Hardbody class for 2015:

- the class name will now be called: Hardbody
- chassis allowed are the H&R brass chassis, Pro Track PT612 aluminum chassis; Pro Track chassis PT512 (will need weights added to chassis bottom and/or lead weights inside chassis); Pro Track brass chassis (out of production).
- motors allowed are any brand 26k, including H&R, JK Hawk, Plafit, and Prof Motor
- 9 tooth motor pinion, any size crown gear
- any brand: axles, bushings, braid , guide flag, guide flag nut/retainer, lead wire, spacers, fasteners, gears
-wheels/tires: Pro Track or H&R, 10-12mm fronts, 12-18mm rears. fronts can be coated with nail polish
- 1/16" track clearance
- allowed to solder brass pan "wings"(pans) to the bottom of the H&R or Pro Track brass chassis; lead weights inside chassis only
- allowed to add either a brass axle tube or bushings to the front axle uprights on the H&R or Pro Track brass chassis
- allowed to re-position the guide flag tongue on the H&R chassis
- allowed to use either wide or narrow rears
-allowed independent front wheels
- rear oilites or ball bearings
- allowed to solder front and rear axle support rods on brass chassis

-body classes: Trans-Am/Muscle cars, Modern Nascar, Vintage Nascar, Vintage Classics, Vintage Can-Am, IMSA/Group-5.
open to other classes as more racers build cars.

***look on Ebay for Tamiya slot car body kit re-issues, most are $19.99, there is one seller selling some for only $12.99. These are mid 1960 era Can-Am body kits, perfect for our racing. Prof Motor is also selling a Tamiya re-issue chassis kit that uses a 1960s 36D can motor, for those interested in recreating a 1965 era Tamiya slot car.

Hardbody is also being raced at NJ Speedzone in Mt Holly, contact our own Mike Haskins for more details if you wish to race there during the week. Also ask Mike if you need your chassis tuned for racing.

Glenn

Last edited by sportblazer350; 02-16-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Forum Moderator
View NJSLOT1_32's Photo Album

Regarding the motor spec, does the motor have to be rated at exactly 26k, or are motors with less RPM allowed as well? For example, can an NSR 25k motor be used? And if they are, can they be long can motors?

Also, what about gear ratios? Currently we're supposed to be using 9 tooth pinions (I think) with any crown gear, and we're running inline. Is any gear ratio allowed now, as well as any configuration such as anglewinder or sidewinder?

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Championship Contender

if 26k is the max rpm, than yes- less is allowed. Not sure if long cans will fit? give it a try.

gear ratio- we need to experiment with the new motors allowed. I am trying to find us better braking motors, and more reliable and consistent motors to choose from. so for now I am not ruling on a specific gear ratio. We can stick with a 9 tooth pinion, crowns: any gear size.

the allowed chassis are all inline except the Pro Track PT-512 which screws together, and can be set up as either inline or sidewinder. None of these chassis are anglewinders.

With the new rules, as racers build new cars we will see what parts work together well (e.g. motors and gears, bodies and chassis), and we will go from there.

So there is a lot of potential for creativity while building a variety of car types. And this gives lots of room for car tuning, based on chassis, body, gear ratios, and motor choices.

Mike Burke and I have prototype cars built for the Modern Nascar class using the Pro Track aluminum chassis. I have a prototype car built for the Vintage Classics class using the H&R chassis. Mike Haskins has a wide range of cars all built with H&R chassis. I have to get out some older builds using the Pro Track brass chassis tuned with brass chassis pans.

not all of our group's racers have Hardbody cars, so we need to encourage some new building.

ps- independent fronts allowed as we have been already doing so- forgot to mention in previous post.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM
Forum Moderator

Default NJ Scale Racing 2015 Hardbody Rules, Ver. 1.1

NJ Scale Racing Hardbody Rules

BODIES
Trans-Am/Muscle cars, Modern NASCAR, Vintage NASCAR, Vintage Classics, Vintage Can-Am, IMSA/Group-5. Open to other classes as more racers build cars

CHASSIS
H&R brass chassis, Pro Track PT612 aluminum chassis; Pro Track chassis PT512 (will need weights added inside chassis); Pro Track brass chassis (out of production). Chassis must have 1/16" minimum track clearance. Brass pan "wings"(pans) may be soldered to the bottom of the H&R or Pro Track brass chassis; lead weights are to be inside chassis only. Either a brass axle tube or bushings may be soldered to the front axle uprights on the H&R or Pro Track brass chassis. Guide flag tongue may be repositioned on the H&R chassis.

MOTORS
Any brand 26k maximum RPM, including H&R, JK Hawk, Plafit, and Prof Motor

GEARS
Pinion must be 9 tooth; any size crown gear allowed. Any mfg. pinion or crown.

BRAID/GUIDE
Any mfg. braid , guide flag, guide flag nut/retainer/spacers allowed

WHEELS/AXLES/BUSHINGS/TIRES
May use any brand axles, bushings, spacers, fasteners, gears. Pro Track or H&R, 10-12mm front tires, 12-18mm rear tires, or ProTrack PTN-235: 1" x 0.875" and PTN-237A 1" x 0.800". Front tires can be coated with nail polish. Independent front wheels allowed. May use either wide or narrow rears. Maximum tire width rule of 3-1/4". Rear oilites or ball bearings allowed. Front and rear axle support rods may be soldered on brass chassis.

Last edited by NJSLOT1_32; 04-11-2015 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Added maximum tire width
Old 04-08-2015, 09:40 AM
International Racer
View maxspeed's Photo Album

Default NJ Scale hardbody rules

Hello Robert...Thanks for posting these rules.

There is no mention of maximum wheel base width. Can one extend the wheel width beyond the wheel wells of a narrow vintage TransAm body? A typical IMSA body will measure about 3 1/8 to 3 1/4 wide and a vintage TransAm will measure about 2 7/8...much narrower therefore will not handle like the wider IMSA car.

Is there a maximum wheel base width on any car?

Joseph
Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxspeed View Post
Hello Robert...Thanks for posting these rules.

There is no mention of maximum wheel base width. Can one extend the wheel width beyond the wheel wells of a narrow vintage TransAm body? A typical IMSA body will measure about 3 1/8 to 3 1/4 wide and a vintage TransAm will measure about 2 7/8...much narrower therefore will not handle like the wider IMSA car.

Is there a maximum wheel base width on any car?

Joseph
Glenn will need to answer, I'm just posting; I suspect there will be a response soon.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:22 PM
Championship Contender

good catch: yes, there is a maximum tire width rule of 3-1/4". Robert- can you please update our Hardbody rules, thanks!!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:06 PM
National Racer
View dinky's Photo Album

Here's a thought why don't you 2 highly capable team captains get together have lunch hash out your differences, come up with 1 uniform set of rules that will attract the same racers to your races. Give it some thought a guy is not going to be willing to put on & take off parts. Build 2 separate groups of cars in order to race with you 2. Last time I checked neither one of you have ever had more than 8 racers & some of the names were the same at both of your gatherings so wise up & grow or continue to stay small then not at all. Rosales what's with this $25 chassis rule? I'm just sayinglast two races at the Raceplace the owner lost money holding a date for your no shows. One day your track owners will take your product streamline your rules & start their own hardbody programs

Last edited by dinky; 04-08-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:38 AM
International Racer

Default combining our programs

Martin...thanks for your input and suggestions. I believe Glenn and I are fine with regards to our willingness to support each others programs. We communicate on an open and regular basis via private email. Our conversations are positive and productive.

The rules as they exist between NJ Scale and Northeast Hardbody Racing are somewhat compatible as our Open Class accommodates any body and any chassis which includes the Protrack chassis that NJ Scale accommodates in their rules. So...a racer can show up with a car built to the NJ Scale Hardbody rules and race in our Open Class with no changes at all. I have cars built for Speed Zone that I can run in the NJ Scale program with no changes at all and meet the rules.

If we need to make and adjustment on the Speed Zone rules on the retail price of the chassis to $30.00 that would still accommodate the rule. The setting of a $25.00 price point for the base chassis (not inclusive of wheels, tires, guide flag, ect) was done to keep the Open class from getting too expensive and exotic and allowing someone to show up with a ScaleAuto, MSC, TSRF or many other more expensive chassis' available on the market which would then change the class and cost everyone a bunch more money to stay competitive and subsequently diminish the participation in the Open Class.

The Sedan Class we run at Speed Zone allows only the H&R Chassis and the H&R 26k motor and any Sedan Body. That pretty much also meets the rules of many cars that are already built to the NJ Scale rules. The only exception is that the Protrack chassis and any 26k motor spec is not allowed in our Sedan Class. 100% of our racers at Speed Zone are running the H&R chassis and the H&R 26k motor in the Sedan Class and voted in that rule unanimously. If someone wants to run the ProTrack or another chassis/motor combination...they can do so in the Open Class.

The rules we run for our Hardbody Class are in fact approved and supported by Speed Zone management and Mike Isles who is the owner of Speed Zone has input on our rules as part of the development process, so I have their full support.

With regards to the Speed Zone program we have been getting 10 plus racers on our Thursday night program and that is always with 3-4 of our regulars not being in attendance for some reason or another. I hope to have at least that many this coming Saturday and if you and a few others show up from other raceways we could have a very nice showing.

I trust reply this answers your questions. Martin (dinky)...you have my cell phone number and are free to call me at any time with any questions, suggestions, or comments about our race program. You know I am always open and responsive to your suggestions.

Finally, I am planning on supporting Glenn and the NJ Scale program and participate in one of their races in May, or June as currently I already have a busy racing schedule with the Hardbodies and also getting ready for the USRA 1/24th scale Division II Nationals which are being held at Speed Zone this month and then the Racer/Sideways US Championship races at Great Traditions in May.

Hope to see you on Saturday.

Joseph

Last edited by maxspeed; 04-09-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:50 AM
National Racer
View dinky's Photo Album

If you guys are good then I'm good . Much love & support to both programs on my part.ill make some calls to rally up the racers to support 1/24 racing in nj at all cost. As Jj put it THEY ARE JUST TOYS

Last edited by dinky; 04-09-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:24 PM
International Racer

Default Race at The Race Place

Looking forward to testing the newly reengineered Open Class Corvair at Speed Zone tomorrow and then at the Race Place in May. Our Open Class cars will fit right in with the NJ Scale rules without any revisions. The revised Corvair has an H&R chassis (no brass pans) a JK 25k motor and the wheels set at 3 1/4.

Joseph

Last edited by maxspeed; 04-11-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:32 AM
National Racer
View dinky's Photo Album

I'll be there ready to take a beating
Old 04-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportblazer350 View Post
good catch: yes, there is a maximum tire width rule of 3-1/4". Robert- can you please update our Hardbody rules, thanks!!
Rules updated per above note.