Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-23-2019, 01:08 AM
Banned
View NicoRosberg.'s Photo Album

Default Big Track Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
we have quite a few really nice tracks available, so the prospect of buying a 200 foot temporary track at about $6000 for the track sections alone would tend to be a deterrent.
Just for kicks I will discuss this issue at the next race.
Sorry, I missed this the first time around, where do you get $6000 from?

I'd say the national group here has $1200 worth of BSTS, acquired gradually and half of which I donated, and about the same in Tomy AFX track. That was acquired in stages, donated by some, some of it was used (purchased from car boots and shows).

For any given track we only use half of each, so if you work from track plans and learnt from our mistakes with BSTS you could keep the spend down.

THORN showed how it could be done over there....

Last edited by Wet Coast Racer; 01-23-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Maybe we should take this discussion to a thread of its own.
The $6000 figure for a 200 foot track was based on the $1600 cost for a 50 foot MaxTrax. BSTS is Brad's Tracks? I have races on a lot of Brad's Tracks and they are superb.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 AM
Banned

If you want to start a new thread, that would be fine by me. I'd do it, but I only have my phone right now.

Until BSTS came along we only used toy track, nearly always Tomy, for nationals. In the early days we occasionally used Tyco and even LL track. Adapters too.

I know there are those who would refuse to run on that, but if you want a 'BigTrack', that is where to start.

We have been adding BSTS (Bowman Sectional Track System) in stages, and of the things I brought in to the national scene during my 12 year tenure, that is my favourite.

If we'd had to start with that and only that, we would of bottled it.

Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 01-23-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:31 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichD View Post
Maybe we should take this discussion to a thread of its own.
No sooner said, than done! Us moderators are not merely decorative, you know!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:34 AM
World Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Thanks for starting a new thread. I was not aware that Brad made a sectional track system. Brad has a forum on this BB, but there have been no posts on it for a long time. I did check the website and saw that no prices were listed for the track sections.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 AM
International Racer
View SouthShoreRacing's Photo Album

When was the last time THORN put on an event. From what I recall, the people involved, were overwhelmed with the level of effort.

I'm spoiled because the Modelville/LenJet facility is an hour from my house although, there are not any big tracks in the UK sense there.

I'm also spoiled because there are 10 additional facilities, including my own (aka people's basements) that are actively hosting races that are within 2 hours of me. There are 3 active clubs hosting races at these locations. Plus another 2 clubs that overlap on a couple of tracks.

So, our choice is race at one of these facilities for a minimal fee, usually 10 bucks and that typically includes lunch where you show up first thing in the morning and start racing

or

Find a facility to rent (American Legion, VFW, Elks, etc.) agreed on a price. Typically not less then $200 in my area. Depending on the facility, you may need additional insurance, especially if it is going to be open to the public. Then advertise. Might have pay to take out ads. Going to do food? Add more money. Now it's getting close to the event. Do you go the night before to setup? Will the hall let you in or do you have to pay for another day? If you want the track(s) ready at 8 AM, plan to be there at 6:30 am and it will always been the same small group of people doing all the work. Now, since you are opening it to the public, your time racing is going to be decreased and what you are racing needs to be tailored to that. Then maybe you get a handful of people stop in.

I've done this a few time, although it was not with a UK type big track and given all the work, the results were disappointing. I'll stick to less hassle, getting another hour of sleep, and show up to an established venue.

Good luck to anyone who wants to tackle putting on big track events. You have more enthusiasm and determination then I do.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:59 PM
International Racer
View HO RacePro's Photo Album

I've said this before...

HOCOC members are pert' near unanimous, Gerry Cullan's 4 x 10 foot low-banked oval is the most popular track they race on, even though it is the smallest*. (Full Disclosure: I built it!)

The size of the track is not proportionate to the fun of racing on it.

Ed Bianchi

* My 4 x 8 foot road course had been the smallest, before I moved out of New England.

Last edited by HO RacePro; 01-25-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Novice Racer

Default Gerry's Oval

My favorite oval that I have ever raced on by far ( been racing for over 55 years). It's like racing at some 1:1 Saturday night bullring that most of us grew up with.
My favorite roadcourse: The Champion at LenJet. For shits and giggles: Phil Hilgert's flat track Atlas F-8, had a blast running on that, it was like going back to racing when we were kid's (OK, little kid's).
I can't even see the cars on some big tracks with my old eye's.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:49 PM
SCI Moderator
View Wet Coast Racer's Photo Album

So what you guys are saying then, is that size doesn't matter.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:20 PM
International Racer

Oh yeah, size does matter. There is such a thing as too big. Frankly I can't see how folks can race magnet cars on those huge UK tracks and, under passing conditions, not get confused as to which car is theirs. Especially if the two cars are the same color.

It is hard enough to follow a blur car on a modest-sized track. Even with corrected vision and a supple neck.

And then there is the business of recruiting enough guys to marshal...

Ed Bianchi
Old 01-26-2019, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO RacePro View Post
Frankly I can't see how folks can race magnet cars on those huge UK tracks and, under passing conditions, not get confused as to which car is theirs. Especially if the two cars are the same color.

And then there is the business of recruiting enough guys to marshal...

Ed Bianchi
And yet we pass each other without confusion. Thousands of times. If somebody does mess up, it is rare and they suffer some good-natured ribbing. Most of us us fulgent colors and/or colors that compliment the lane colors and/or have back-up bodies to avoid running next to a similar one.

I guess, a bit like the building tracks that will only be used for a few hours, a bit like the seeing the cars all of 30' away - we just get on with it.

Unless and until you guys try it you have nothing to compare it to. There seems to be a lot or resistance to trying something else.

We don't have to 'recruit' marshals by the by. The track needs 6 marshals at most (HOLM, an outlier in many ways, needs 7), so, if we have 12 guys we are covered. We often have 20-35. The racers marshal each other, isn't that what everyone does? If not, what does 'recruiting' involve?

Quote:
There is such a thing as too big.
There is? A what length and, more importantly, what footprint?

(BigTracks are not about lap length, they are about footprint and public access)

Last edited by NicoRosberg.; 01-26-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:45 AM
International Racer

I can see the attraction of creating and racing on a huge track for an annual event. Maybe even three or four times a year. But it seems like an awful lot of effort for the track time involved.

Especially when you can have just as much fun running on a basement track.

I'd hate to think that novice slotters would feel they are missing out on the joy of racing because they don't have access to a gym-floor size track.

HOCOC often races at Len-Jet, where Peter Lentros has six decent-sized tracks, including an oval and an HO version of a SuperKing. Plenty of variety, set up and ready to go. On a typical race day they'll compete on at least two of those tracks.

Then there are the tracks in members homes. Great tracks and great variety. And I have never once heard someone complain that, "The track is too small."

Actually on a small track the racing is more intense, because there are no long straights where a slightly faster car can dominate. Max power is a blip, then you are back to cornering, trying to stay on that critical edge without losing it and throwing away the race.

The big UK events are a spectacle, no doubt, and have their own appeal I am certain. But the average slotter will find just as much value, if not more, competing on more modest, local tracks.

Ed Bianchi
Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 AM
Banned

Quote:

Especially when you can have just as much fun running on a basement track.
Quote:

Actually on a small track the racing is more intense
Quote:
But the average slotter will find just as much value, if not more, competing on more modest, local tracks.
Again, until you try both, you have no way to know that at all.

What is an 'average slotter' anyway? I have yet to meet one.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Championship Contender
View Eric Peterson's Photo Album

Back and forth. This Hot Topic again. You know to get people not to care about Foot prints, location? Serve Bacon with lunch. That is something we can all agree on.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Banned

Until you try a BigTrack you have no way to know, it might be better than bacon

You have to open your mind to the idea first.