MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-03-2018, 10:55 PM
Championship Contender
View carlosinseattle's Photo Album

Default Carson DPR chip observations

Just chipped a new Scaley Camaro with a Carson DPR chip. The car won't work in the pit lane. The Carrera cars work but the Scaley Carson chipped car doesn't work. Has any one else had this problem? If so what can I do to fix it????

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 01-09-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:06 AM
Top Qualifier
View b.yingling's Photo Album

When you say won't work in the pit lane- do you mean it won't run at all when in the pit lane?

Or do you mean it won't refuel? And if you mean it won't refuel- why are you still running a Black Box system instead of a CU with the advanced pit lane?

Last edited by b.yingling; 01-04-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 AM
Championship Contender

I'm using the CU, the DPR car won't run/doesn't work in the pit lane. The weird thing is that if a another car is in the pit lane, meaning regular D132 car, the DPR Cara will run. But if there's no other car in the pit lane at the same time the DPR car won't even move.

It's an older CU, from 2012 or 2013 that has not received any firmware updates. Could that be a factor?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:32 AM
Top Qualifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle View Post
I'm using the CU, the DPR car won't run/doesn't work in the pit lane. The weird thing is that if a another car is in the pit lane, meaning regular D132 car, the DPR Cara will run. But if there's no other car in the pit lane at the same time the DPR car won't even move.

It's an older CU, from 2012 or 2013 that has not received any firmware updates. Could that be a factor?
I don't know, Carlos. I've never used a Carson chip, but I know they don't include ghost and pace functions, so figured they wouldn't calculate fuel on a Black Box system.

If you remove the internal jumper on the pit lane entry switch that sends the low phase signal to the pit lane, and put a 'normal' jumper into the pit lane, the Carson car will probably run properly. Without that internal jumper, the pit lane voltage signal will be exactly the same as the rest of the track. On a CU system, you don't need that jumper unless you're using this pit for a pace car.

Last edited by b.yingling; 01-04-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Championship Contender
View BSWAN72's Photo Album

Did you disconnect the ferrite man and any other electronic components that connect the + and - leads together?

Best regards,
Brian
Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.yingling View Post
I don't know, Carlos. I've never used a Carson chip, but I know they don't include ghost and pace functions, so figured they wouldn't calculate fuel on a Black Box system.

If you remove the internal jumper on the pit lane entry switch that sends the low phase signal to the pit lane, and put a 'normal' jumper into the pit lane, the Carson car will probably run properly. Without that internal jumper, the pit lane voltage signal will be exactly the same as the rest of the track. On a CU system, you don't need that jumper unless you're using this pit for a pace car.
Hey Bruce, I'm using the CU, no BB, with a newer Pit lane track, the one that came with the Pit Lane adapter track included. If I remove the jumper you're referring to will the pit lane features still work?
Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSWAN72 View Post
Did you disconnect the ferrite man and any other electronic components that connect the + and - leads together?

Best regards,
Brian
Hadn't thought about that. I didn't want to butcher the car too much since I only plan to use if a couple times. But I will try removing the ferrite beads tonight.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Top Qualifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle View Post
Hey Bruce, I'm using the CU, no BB, with a newer Pit lane track, the one that came with the Pit Lane adapter track included. If I remove the jumper you're referring to will the pit lane features still work?
They will. With a CU and an advanced pit lane, the jumper's only purpose is to let the pace car 'know' when to stop. If Brian's advice pans out- be up to you whether you want to slightly modify your track (and fix it for any future cars with the Carson chip) or modify this car.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:07 PM
SCI Mod / Digital Guru
View MrFlippant's Photo Album

Mod the track
Old 01-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlippant View Post
Mod the track
Is it simply a matter of removing one wire? If so, how will I know which one???

Last edited by carlosinseattle; 01-04-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:19 PM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.yingling View Post
They will. With a CU and an advanced pit lane, the jumper's only purpose is to let the pace car 'know' when to stop. If Brian's advice pans out- be up to you whether you want to slightly modify your track (and fix it for any future cars with the Carson chip) or modify this car.
We're going to be racing all Carson DPR cars this weekend on my Carrera digital track; I want to be sure they will all work. I ran a different DPR car on a friend's Carrera digital track a few months ago and we didn't have this problem. He didn't need to do any modifications whatsoever for it to work. I'll try to figure out which wire to remove and see if that helps.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:28 PM
International Racer
View edmagner's Photo Album

every issue i've had with a Carson DPR chip has been corrected by running straight +/- from braids to the chip - have 20+ of them running now
Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Championship Contender

Solved; switched to a different pit lane, the 30346 that came without the adapter unit.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 PM
Top Qualifier

For future reference: it would have been the red wire that connects to the curved, inside rail. The two that connect to the straight outside rails are how the chip draws power. The red wire leading to the pit lane rail is the one that sends the low phase voltage signal to the pit lane.

Your other pit entry switch really shouldn't have been any different. They all have the same jumper in them. In fact, the pit entry switch performs exactly the same old pit or new. I guess it's possible the chip firmware is different. I'm wondering if you happened to have found a hyper-sensitive Carson chip, or if you have a slightly out of whack pit entry switch.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Championship Contender

I removed the capacitor and the problems were solved. The ferrite bead can stay in place, but the cap needs to be removed in order to work with Carrera digital timing and scoring.

I have a friend who didn't have a problem with his Carson chipped cars, I'll see them this weekend and try to find out why.