Carrera Slot Cars
Fly Model Car
BRM Model Cars
NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Manufacturer's Direct > VIASUE Lap Counters.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Club Racer
View VIASUE's Photo Album

Default Advance Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by daufderh View Post
This offering is a 100% PnP lap timing system. Assuming we continue down the current path you either buy all of it or none of it. I would imagine some day in the future we could potentially offer customizations, like the ability to use your own sensors, relays, that kind of thing, but for now this is just the lap counting portion of a track interface. We're focussing first on the most important piece of race management. Once we have established a system that "just works" by plugging a few cables in, we'll turn our focus to offering more advanced features.

With that said, you can always augment it on your own without modifying what we are providing. RC supports connecting multiple track interfaces to the same PC. So you could take our lap counting offering and pair it with a 0/0/4 phidget relay and do per lane relays on your own. You'd have to configure it yourself but the PnP system will auto configure then you just need to add in your 0/0/4 relay configuration which I can help with as needed (in the forums for support or email).

-Dave
Thank you Dave (RC) for providing some clarification ......on the P&P offering and pointing out what can help future track owners &/or current track owners. As well what they can look forward to in the ways of novice and advanced options or parts, in the foreseeable future. Thank you for pointing out the focus is on the P&P offering and how it and other track set ups can be used / combined, with RC and the P&P system.

The multi track set up is a great feature of RC. I felt the widget and control question was better answered by RC, given you have helped this track owner in the past, VIASUE does not want to step on toes or complicate an earlier interaction. Your answers and support are appreciated very much....thanks for stepping in and offering support Dave....If I could only put you on speed dial or fit you into my back pocket.....lol....or us in yours! One thing is for sure,you are first in our list of top quality and knowledgable go to people !!

Dare I predict that:: Folks are going to Love this Plug & Play Offering. Once it gets vetted by track owners and the word gets out how It Is 100% Plug&Play For Real and that it "Just Works" right out of the box......ready to race with

As you know Dave we both feel RC's and VIASUE's efforts to provide a P&P offering is going to bring in a lot of new track owners to the racing community! New blood so to speak. Current track owners blood will be reinvigorated once they and other track owners understand ,all they need, is an oem plastic race set, connect the hardware, let the CD auto install, then click Race!! Nothing hard or difficult about it....RC & VIASUE have made sure that we have removed all of the difficulties for the track owner so they can stage high quality, very competitive and accurate races!! From there "The Hard Part Is" setting & breaking new track, driver and car records. As you know Dave all results can be saved, shared, emailed or simply printed out for hard copy record keeping.

VIASUE & RC =

Last edited by VIASUE; 06-17-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
National Racer
View Double Naught's Photo Album

So there is no power control with the stock setup?
Paul
Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 PM
Club Racer

Default Bare Bones Systems

Hi Thanks for asking:: What we are presenting in the photo, for example, of the 4 lane afx plug and play system, is what we consider a bare bones system that VIASUE & RC will jointly support, from there upward in advanced options, or configurations. You may want to upgrade to an 8 lane system by ordering another 4 lane plug and play system and by connecting both to RC, you would have an 8 lane, that is supported and can easily be done via our support and system methods. Support in the way of the install CD and help files found on it, software help files, how to online videos, web page support, forum support and email support ...we are in plain site, can be reached easily and are here to help if we can, the best way we can :>)

We are looking at options beyond the bare bones system as "ADD ON's" or "Hop up's" as some car folks call improvements to their cars...same concept for the P&P systems....People order the bare bones system and then order add on items that track owners get from us and that we support via our hardware and software offerings, including technical support for both IF needed.The plan is, the system will install correctly and "Just Work" That is to say, work as plug and play.That being the case owners will not need much support. Other than the time it takes to learn any software or hardware product.

VIASUE

Last edited by VIASUE; 06-17-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:56 PM
National Racer
View Double Naught's Photo Album

So the answer is no. I was thinking that it had all of the features of Trakmate but I guess it doesn't.

Thanks for the clarification, Paul
Old 06-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Club Racer

Correct the Bare Bones system does not have track control as it sits right now, as presented in the photo.

BUT it can have the track control option you want just by asking for it, including a very small hop up....fee of about 15$. The concept in having add ons or hop ups , which mean the same thing ....In that track owners get a bare bones system, that is fully race functional PnP system, for a great price, for less than any DIY 4 lane system.The owner does not even need screw driver The track owner only needs to pay for options, parts or configurations, if they need them or want them.

We also would not like charging folks for an option they do not plan to use.... :>( other than IF the item is required to run the system to the best of its ability. Such as our 4 lane light bridges. Which are very good looking high quality bridges,that can be easily turned into track decor / design, such a Pedestrian bridges or start finish bridges etc etc:>)

VIASUE

Last edited by VIASUE; 06-17-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Championship Contender
View daufderh's Photo Album

Keep in mind that something like track relays are on the edge of PnP. That is we can do all the software setup and setup the relay pinouts, but the user is going to have to connect them to their track. That's not going to be "easy" with a stock box race set, especially not to the average Joe user. Hmmm, as I typed that it occurred to me that maybe in the long run Paul can work something up where he does the power tap wiring as well, but that's probably going to cost some coin.

As Paul said though, we are capable of supporting both master and per lane relays, it's just a matter of what the user wants and how much they're able to do on their own.

-Dave
Old 06-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Club Racer

Plug and Play is a demanding standard....there is a lot to live upto and alot to deliver....I have been offering printer port PnP systems for years ....this new platform is so far beyond the past technologies, it is actually very hard to realisticly compare them...to older ports or adapters etc etc. The same for comparing PnP to DIY. 2 very different things...But I am sure there is a blend of options that will provide as plug and play as possible solutions for the majority of users....

As Dave correctly points out the difficulties is not with our system but with the oem's track its self, for connection points etc etc which is out of our control or realistic pnp support.

Now days there are hybrids. Perhaps that is what we would call a plug and play solution that requires some hybrid / user hands on / perhaps a screw driver effort by the user but as minimal user effort as possible...in the end providing a user friendly set up to reduce support efforts....providing wire connection leads and connectors is the easy part

PnP is the standard we are focusing on, with the broadest possible user inclusion possible

Thanks y'all VIASUE

Last edited by VIASUE; 06-17-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Championship Contender
View daufderh's Photo Album

Just thought I'd post here that I just finished my system stress tests. I hooked up some IR sensors to my parallel port and then on a second computer hooked up our platform. So about 3 feet away on the track I had two completely independent sensor setups. For our platform I set the min lap time to 1 second so that if there was a false detection I'd report it.

In 3 days of testing (running for 60-90 minutes non-stop each time), I ran a total of about 5400 laps on two lanes. The parallel port recorded 1 less lap than our USB platform. The very first night I tested, I got one false lap on our platform. I did all this testing without a light bridge so it could easily have been a shadow over the sensor (shortly before the false lap I saw a stink bug fly by, I didn't see it go by over the sensor but who knows).

Even if it was a true false detection, 1 bad lap in 5400 is a very good success rate. A proper min lap time (which by the way should be at least half your normal lap time) would have sorted out the false detection and aside from some "strange" lap times, the lap count would have been spot on...

All in all, I'm very pleased. I think this is going to be an incredibly easy to use system that will support the full range of features Race Coordinator supports.

EDIT: Did one more 2 hour test. 1600+ laps on two lanes. That's about 8600 laps with only 1 error...

Last edited by daufderh; 07-01-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Club Racer

Default Testing our USB Solution

All great news Dave....my guess is the stink bug saw all of the action and wanted to get in on the race :>)....
Almost 6000 laps doubled checked by two different sensor types...more or less a double blind test. Great Idea and concept of proof ......ALL IS WELL

As well a good burn in test of 60 to 90 minute runs for almost 6000 in laps and via 2 different PC using 2 different Sensor types...thats a great acid test / "Burn In" as tech's say.

Crazy that the usb system was so accurate without a light bridge !! Of course a light bridge is required to chase off any shadows gremlins that could fall on the sensors which would cause a false lap.........we hate shadow monsters.

Folks should know the system can not work in total darkness without a light bridge....you can race in 100% darkness using our light bridge....BUT here is a very interesting fact: Regular over head room lighting is about 600 Lux at the table top, enough to race with. But not enough to deny any shadow gremlins....SO we build our light bridge with around 100 times that 600 lux value to 6000 lux and above.

I personally promise, all track owners, 6,000 Lux will deny the strongest of shadows, that could dare, fall on to the sensors, no matter the scale or track type. When it comes to our light bridges and how powerful they are.......we do not mess around !

Great news Dave thanks for sharing your fantastic results !!

VIASUE

Last edited by VIASUE; 06-30-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:56 AM
International Racer
View bobbyraz49's Photo Album

Please tell me how this system could be incorporated into a 2 lane 1/32 wood track.
Details such as how it is inserted into wood etc.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Club Racer

Default Sensor Placement or Plug & Play

Hi thanks for asking....all you would need to do after inlaying the sensor is ::
1) Connect the race system hardware to your PC USB Port
2) Boot up / Start up your PC
3) Deny / Cancel any offer from windows to install drivers for the new hardware it found
4) Put the Cd in the Cd player It will Auto run, Auto Install, Auto Configure for your first race
5) Than "START YOUR ENGINES" and SELECT RACE and Race

The hardest part is making and breaking new track, driver and car records !

About the sensors and your question:: Drill the holes for the sensors as close to the slots or braided power strip inlays, but not so close the car brushes scrape the sensors themselves. Inlay the sensors so they are just below flush to your track surface....they look great and do not leave holes in your track, like other systems that require the sensors to be under the hole, where dust bunnies collect via those holes causing lap issues.

There is a "ya but" ..... The first systems that we will be rolling out is the 100% Plug & Play system for oem plastic tracks....100% of the build is done by us and includes inlaying the sensors into oem track, including custom oem track sections!

As demand expresses it's self via questions like yours we will determine If we do or If we don't come out with a DIY version....Which would be plug and play USB Except for the sensors being inlaid into a routed &/or wood track which is the DIY part. We could put one out today BUT we have to be sure to provide reasonable support and have the costly resources available to do that kind of one on one support that is so often sought for by DIY track owners.

You likely understand that a Plug & Play system will need little support, for set up. People will still need to go through a learning curve about the software and the hardware and will likely need to be pointed in the right direction for answers to their question, from FAQ to direct one on one email support. Direct from the builder of the hardware and direct from the software designer. So you can see we are not just selling parts and saying good luck with your project...you will get top notch support direct from VIASUE and RC....

DIY can be tricky ...we do not know what you know and you do not know what we know ! So how do we inform you without insulting your intelligence and how do we get what we know into your head efficiently, so you can know what we know as easily as possible??.....This is also to say IF we charged more for our systems we could afford to educate, one on one, track owners as much or as little as they need....DIY = Do It Yourself which also means to EY = Educate Yourself...

The worst thing we could do to a track owner is provide just the exact info he asks for which then omits any other info he might also learn if he or she was to look & find the info on their own... getting specific info might seem helpful at the moment but it will not help a track owner as much as pointing them in the right direction or point them to the best source of info, and the track owner does the required foot work or learning ....from such places as the software help menu or FAQ, forums, or our web sites etc etc.

How does that old saying go:: "It is better to teach a man how to fish than to give him a fish" ;>)

With that said we admit we can not be all things, as needed, by all people BUT we will always strive to either provide the most correct data or best source of information and if not VIASUE or RC than we will point you to the best source we know of to get you the info or parts you need.

Viasue would also like folks to know is:: Our Plug & Play systems are offered @/or below DIY parts and DIY services for the very same system in DIY form. ....Sorry to say the whole idea of Plug and Play is to take all of the difficulty out of A concept and make the use of that concept as easy and as enjoyable as possible for the and user., yet still provide additional products and services!

VIASUE has had and still does have a growing selection of DIY parts and units! Please visit VIASUE's web site to see sensor cables and light bridges, including custom builds and offerings etc etc...more is on its way as we make them available.

As track owners know, DIY is not Plug & Play. They know as well DIY will always require more Q&A or how to info and post purchase support than P&P....P&P actually keeps costs down for track owners Yet we do not want to ignore DIYers projects or needs. It is a reality that DIY slot car track projects should be called Custom DIY Projects...because there is very little one can point at as standard for DIY projects...Sadly, Custom always drives support & prices up...Which is the reality check that is needed to keep players like VIASUE and RC in the game for decades and for future slotters young and old

Plug & Play has taken everything over...without DIY skills, those track builders / owners will need a huge amount of step by step help and direction, just to get through basic DIY. Sadly DIY also means making mistakes and learning from those mistakes....the school of hard knocks. We will help soften the DIY blows within reason but we can not take the blows or responsibility for the track builder / DIYer ;( .....DIY also means you are liable or responsible for your mistakes and fortunately for your success as well !! Success is a great feeling, which brings DIYers a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction !

Sorry to go on so much about a simple DIY question or is DIY actually simple ?? I think not so much these days VIASUE has DIY offerings please visit our site and if we dont have what you need please let us know and we will do our best to help you correctly

VIASUE !
Please visit VIASUE or RACE COORDINATOR web sites for the best updated info

Last edited by VIASUE; 07-02-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:25 PM
International Racer
View bobbyraz49's Photo Album

Well hopefully someone will put out a video on how to make this work with a wood track !
Old 07-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Club Racer

Default How to video

Once we come out with the DIY offering perhaps you could do a How To Video with a little bit of our help....it actually is very easy to set the usb system up. ....a VIDEO would show just how easy it is to do once you install the sensors correctly :>) we also can build the custom light bridge you will need....

For our Ho 4 lane printer port systems we offer 100$ or a HO 4 lane printer port system....for a "how to set up video" for the printer port system. There is a very good chance we will select your video for providing support via the video, on our web site , on our set up CD's , you tube etc etc.
It just needs to be informative and quickly and easily show how to set up the hardware and install race software and show how to set up the race software....Thats it :>)

You could win and help other DIY ers
Old 07-10-2014, 02:57 PM
National Racer
View Crazy Bull's Photo Album

Default bottom line

I would like to use this on my 2 lane tyco track. Is this all I need to do so and whats the cost. All I want to do is basic lap count/times with possibly race modes down the road. Also be able to keep track of info in excel. Looking for simplest way to go that I don't need to build. I have working on several different ways with NO success. Tired of piecing together things that don't fit . So in a nut shell can I truly just set this up and play with it? PnP is all I want.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:17 AM
Club Racer

Default Tyco Plug&Play No Problem

Hi thank you for asking we can easily build our system into your track type. We can install our system into just about All Track Types. Please contact viasue directly via email at [email protected] for greater detailed info and conversation of what you need but so far its no problem to provide a 2 lane Tyco USB 100% Plug & Play..no screw drivers, drills or DIY other than connect the hardware, power up your PC let the Instal CD do its Auto installation and then click "Start Race"......and you will be racing !! Its just that easy &/or {Plug & Play}

You can save your races and share them or print them out and we can cover any other needs you have including pricing, delivery dates and any other Add On, options you may want....via an email conversation.

Right now you can find our 4 lane USB PnP systems on sale at EBAY...search for AFX 15" track or AFX slot car lap timers....and you will see our USB PnP systems as well as our Printer Port Systems (non usb system) both types will be found in the ebay search list...here is a link to one of the systems On Sale for a price well below full retail
We will price your 2 lane well below retail as well !! Please contact VIASUE via e-mail at [email protected] we will do the rest for you

VIASUE & RC
PS Please visit our web site here is a helpful link

Last edited by VIASUE; 07-11-2014 at 09:31 AM.