AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Novice Racer
View Randy's Photo Album

Default Tracker 2000

Hello all,

I went to Edwin's site, looking to buy Tracker 2000 program. He has decided to stop offering it. E-mailed him to ask if there was any way to get a copy, but got a form letter stating it was gone for good.

I designed a four lane track a long time ago with the original Tracker, 77 foot lanes on a
6' x 20' table. This is it:

I want to make the right hand turns ( 2 90 degree and the 180 degree) into 30 degree banked turns. Found a tech article at Fantasy World site on how to do it. Problem is, when you make the banks, the radius of the track is decreased, so my plan will be incorrect.
The article told how to input custom track sections into Tracker 2000 so you could design layouts using the banked sections.

I guess I could build the banks, then the rest of the track by trial and error, but that sounds like a major pain with the amount of track involved. Is there anybody here who has the Tracker 2000 program and could assist me with the design.
Compensation could be arranged if need be, I was willing to shell out the $35 for tracker just to design the one track.......

Not in a rush, this project will commence later this spring.

Thanks, Randy

Last edited by Randy; 01-27-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Championship Contender
View SlotsNZ's Photo Album

Default Alternatives

If you don't get any offers, you could try this free downloadable one
http://www.slotcarmanager.de/en/all_frames_e.html
I DOES have a section where you can design simple pieces, limited to constant radius turn (which should cover your banked curves) and special straights - which can be tapering in lane width and/or actual overall width.

I have designed a number of tracks with it, and once you get the hang, it's better tham some I shelled out bucks for !

It has built in libraries for every brand of track you can imagine, but doesn't have special digital pieces - at least in my version.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Novice Racer
View HookEm's Photo Album

Default Track Design software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Hello all,
I went to Edwin's site, looking to buy Tracker 2000 program. He has decided to stop offering it.... I was willing to shell out the $35 for tracker just to design the one track.
Randy,
There are other options, for example:
Ultimate Racer 3.0 (Free-ware): http://www.uracerweb.org/
TrackPower (14.95 euro): http://www.trackpower.net/english.htm
Ninco: TrackMap (9.98 US): http://www.modelrectifier.com/search...ew.asp?ID=2029
Scalextric: Track Designer (24.99 US): http://www.scalextric-usa.com/index....ELEMENT_ID=533

HookEm

Last edited by HookEm; 01-27-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: English version of TrackPower
Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Novice Racer
View Randy's Photo Album

Default Track Design

Thanks for the replies,

SlotsNZ - I hadn't seen this program, but it does state that you can create your own custom sections. Will download and try it. The timing portion looks pretty good too, except they say you need a "racecontrol-sensorbox" and direct you to another site.
I will investigate when I find time. (I use TrakMate timing at the moment, works well).

HookEm - I had already found the links you gave, except the "TrakPower". These programs seem to use libraries of track pieces already provided. They may have the option of custom design pieces, but none specifically state that on the web pages.
I do appreciate your reply, the links you gave may prove valuable to others reading also.

I also downloaded another free design program called "SnapTrack" from
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.j.butler/snaptrack/

It's a drag and drop design program, instructions claim custom sections can be inputted, but they want you to import a similar piece and then modify it. Haven't tried to as yet, but don't see clearly in the directions a method of modifying radius.

Would still appreciate someone with a copy of Tracker 2000 to help out, as I have specific instructions on how to use that program to design the banked turns.

Thanks, Randy
Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 AM
National Racer
View gibroni's Photo Album

I'll do it. I don't really have much to do today anyway.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Novice Racer
View Randy's Photo Album

Hooray! You da man, Gibroni.

Unfortunately, my day will be busy once the wife gets home from work shortly.
Have to finish prepping her car for the paint shop in the morning. The old Maaco
January half-price job. They do a decent job of spraying, but I don't trust their
prep work and make sure I have sanded down to 400 wet before I hand it over.

I'm not in a hurry, as the new track won't be started until late Spring (kinda cold in
the garage right now). Hope your offer holds for the next time you find some spare
time. If you e-mail me at r.curley@cox.net I'll find time in the next couple days to
respond and give you the details that I have on what has to be done.

Many thanks, Randy
Old 02-02-2007, 08:02 AM
National Racer
View Hoss's Photo Album

Default Looking for some assistance

I purchased Tracker 2000 last year and recently had a hard drive failure. Does anyone have a copy they can sent me. The setup files are corrupt on the back up copy I have.

I still have my serial number and unlock code, so I'm only looking for the app.

I also sent two emails to Edwin and have not heard back from him yet. Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Novice Racer

Default help with tracker

Another member here was kind enough to forward a copy of Tracker to me, however I need to register it and/or unlock it. If there is someone here who can help me with that or send me one that doesn't need this, I would very much appreciate it. I don't mind paying. Please contact me at gordon6@adelphia.net. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:42 AM
Championship Contender
View keysandslots's Photo Album

Seeing as how Edwin is no longer doing anything with Tracker, I wonder if he would consider releasing the binary and source code to the public domain. Who knows, maybe we could end up with a Linux version.

Does anyone here know Edwin well-enough to ask him about this?

Randy (the other Randy)
Old 02-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Novice Racer

Default Q&A about Tracker 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysandslots View Post
Seeing as how Edwin is no longer doing anything with Tracker, I wonder if he would consider releasing the binary and source code to the public domain. Who knows, maybe we could end up with a Linux version.

Does anyone here know Edwin well-enough to ask him about this?

Randy (the other Randy)
Yes, I did ask similar questions to Edwin late last year, and below is the reply:
HookEm
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your kind words!
I have composed a quick question & answers list which will hopefully answer your questions:
1. Can I still buy or register Tracker 2000?
No, I decided to stop with Tracker 2000. This means you can not buy or register Tracker 2000 anymore. Sorry.
2. Do you make Tracker 2000 open source?
No, I will not donate the source of Tracker to the open source community.
3. Can I buy the source?
No, the source of Tracker 2000 is not for sale.
4. Is Tracker 2000 abandon-ware?
No, I think after 9 years of support and upgrades you can not consider Tracker 2000 abandon-ware!
5. Can I get a key for free?
No, this will not be fair to all the users who have paid for Tracker 2000 in the past.
6. Is the domain
www.slotrace.com for sale?
No, I will keep the domain for possible future use.
7. Will there still be updates for Tracker 2000?
No, there will be no updates anymore. However with the 'track definition editor' you can of course still add new track parts within the limit of the possibilities of the last Tracker 2000 release.
8. Will my Tracker 2000 stop working on my PC?
No, Tracker 2000 will keep working on your PC. The last Tracker 2000 3.0b release also works on the new Windows Vista release.

I like to thank everybody for their kind words I have received by email
since I decided to stop with Tracker 2000. I expected a lot of angry
emails however I received only 'thank you' emails, which I did not at
all expect! Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Edwin
Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
National Racer
View gibroni's Photo Album

Not to rag on Edwin but it's kind of $hitty not to release this to the open source community. He's no longer supporting it and not releasing updates. I really feel ripped off. I just bought this program right before he pulled the plug with no warning. His website claimed that support was available, but when I needed help I got an email to "read the manual" and that he was no longer supporting the software. Bad karma, Edwin.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Novice Racer

Default Maybe we can help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni View Post
Not to rag on Edwin but it's kind of $hitty not to release this to the open source community. He's no longer supporting it and not releasing updates. I really feel ripped off. I just bought this program right before he pulled the plug with no warning. His website claimed that support was available, but when I needed help I got an email to "read the manual" and that he was no longer supporting the software. Bad karma, Edwin.
Did you try getting help here?... One of best reasons to join this forum is to get help on things like this.

I've been using Tracker since it was it just "Tracker". In fact, I provided feedback for the inclusion of the Classic/Scalex Pit-Lane & Goodwood chicane on "Tracker 2000". So, I definitely did get my money's worth!

I'm sorry to hear you feel ripped-off. But, I like I said, maybe your issue can be resolved here: What were/are you having problems with?

HookEm
Old 03-01-2007, 05:08 AM
National Racer
View Alta_Racer's Photo Album

This post by Rand has some great tips

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal...cker+2000+TIPS

Ron
Old 03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
National Racer
View Crimnick's Photo Album

This is the very definition of "taking one's ball and going home"....
Old 03-03-2007, 04:04 PM
National Racer
View kevind622's Photo Album

I was surprised to see this thread about the end of Tracker2000. I bought the program over 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. I guess all things come to an end eventually.

I recently purchased TrackPower and have enjoyed using it as well. I found it very easy to use and had designed at least 4 layouts in short order. It only supports the 4 digital systems out there so isn't as extensive as Tracker2000. I emailed him about support for Carrera Digital 32 and he said that it would be added. I would think that the track sections will remain the same size but you never know.

I think that Edwin did a great job and he always repsonded to my emails about my key as I lost it a couple of times in hard drive crashes. It is still a great program and you can always add your own definitions if you wanted to or wait or hope that someone else does.

Kevin