NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Novice Racer

Default Carerra GO vs. SCX 1:43 sets?

Looking to buy a xmas set for my kids & me (6 & 9). I like the affordability & space advantages of the HO & 1:43 scale sets. Looking at the 1:43 scale sets, can anyone point out any +/-'s of the Carerra vs. SCX sets ie. track, connectors, controls, transformers, cars etc.?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 AM
National Racer
View gibroni's Photo Album

I bought the GO nascar set for my nephew last x mas. The cars are nice and are fast. I didn't care for the carerra track. The way it snapped together was kinda strange and there are plastic clips required to hold it together, and the track would still come apart. Also the loopty loops in the GO set are garbage. We tossed those aside and I bought some straights.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Novice Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibroni View Post
I bought the GO nascar set for my nephew last x mas. The cars are nice and are fast. I didn't care for the carerra track. The way it snapped together was kinda strange and there are plastic clips required to hold it together, and the track would still come apart. Also the loopty loops in the GO set are garbage. We tossed those aside and I bought some straights.

Good info, thanks. I wasn't crazy about the loopty-loops either on the GO sets, so as far as 1/43 scale sets go, I've been looking at the SCX set that is being sold at Target for $100 which gives me 25' of non-looped track. I'm still however weighing the +-'s of 1/43 vs. HO scale sets.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 AM
World Champion
View ElSecundo's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by slot-1 View Post
Good info, thanks. I wasn't crazy about the loopty-loops either on the GO sets, so as far as 1/43 scale sets go, I've been looking at the SCX set that is being sold at Target for $100 which gives me 25' of non-looped track. I'm still however weighing the +-'s of 1/43 vs. HO scale sets.
I looked at the SCX set for the first time online last night, and I was impressed by how good the SCX F1 cars looked. The detail was much closer to 1:32 level than HO level -- it blew HO into the weeds.

I don't even have any 1:43 cars or track, but I was tempted after seeing that.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Championship Contender
View Zoom Beedo's Photo Album

I agree Kurt. I've just been waiting for someone to give up on trying to fit a 1/32 size motor into a 1/43 car so that they could get the proportions and detail right. I'm planning on giving them a try. Hope they're compatible with Scaley Classic track.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:18 PM
World Champion

Cool, I'm glad it's not just me, Jim. *grin*

The track itself is still toy-like, but a routed track built with 1:43 in mind could be amazing. And you're right -- I know there are motors that will fit nicely into 1:43 cars, but the manufacturers have insisted on S-cans for some reason. I don't even care if they're under-powered, let's just see some motors that fit.

I'm in the process of organizing a 1:43-based slot car convention in Louisville (1:32, 1:24 and HO welcome), and I'm looking forward to seeing more of what the 1:43 world has to offer.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Championship Contender
View masmojo's Photo Album

Default RE: CLassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom Beedo View Post
I agree Kurt. I've just been waiting for someone to give up on trying to fit a 1/32 size motor into a 1/43 car so that they could get the proportions and detail right. I'm planning on giving them a try. Hope they're compatible with Scaley Classic track.

Niether the SCX Compact or the Carrera GO use S-cans, they use a motor that looks the same but is about 1/2 the size! That said, it still has too much power! The Go cars will work on Scaley if you slim the guide a little. The SCX will work fine, but they stick too much, I am thinking that the actual 1/43 tracks use a slightly smaller rail which results in less magnetic attraction.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM
World Champion

That's an interesting possiblity, Masmojo -- less rail == less stuck like glue.

If I'm going to get into 1:43, I'd like those cars to drive like my 1:32 cars -- no quicker. As it is, the 1:32 machines are heading down the path of missiles, even no-mag.

Maybe I just need to install a bunch of NC-1's in my 1:32 cars, and leave the 1:43 dudes alone...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 AM
Championship Contender
View Zoom Beedo's Photo Album

Good luck with the convention Kurt. I might just have to remove the magnets when I get a couple of cars to try, or at least reduce the magnetic attraction. I'm thinking a NINCO go kart motor would be just about right in these things, or maybe an HO motor.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Championship Contender

Default RE: Motors

I actually got some smaller motors from electronics goldmine. They are like 6 volt & the look like the wold work for In-line or side winder in 1/43. but I am a new father again, so I have not had time to monkey with finding gears to fit them. If somebody could do the develomement work they could be an option.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:51 PM
World Champion

Hey, congratulations on the little Mojo!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Club Racer
View popsracer's Photo Album

I went down both roads with my kids. I started out with a 1:43 Artin a few years back. I think my son was probably 5 or 6 and my daughter 7 or 8. IMO that scale was too difficult for my kids and they immediately became frustrated and lost interrest. The cars had poor magnetic traction and the cars would just fly off the track in the hands of a young novice. If the cars actually made it all the way around the track it was a major accomplishment. I can't say anything about these new SCX and Carrera tracks but I'm sure they are much better quality than the Artin sets. Last year I sold all the 1:43 stuff and bought a really nice 4 lane AFX HO set. The kids love it! Now that they have a little experience I'm gearing up to get into 1:32 which is where I've always wanted to be. For getting the kids started, I have to recommend HO scale then move up from there.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Championship Contender

Talking Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSecundo View Post
Hey, congratulations on the little Mojo!

pequeñomojo or maybe Minimojo
I have been monkeying with the SCX compacts a little more, put another 1/4 once of lead in there, now it's starting to be managable on my Sport track @ 8 to 10 volts. Still needs a bit more rubber in the rear & the car is so low it highsides on the border curbing when it slides out, which means a bit more marshaling then I would like! I have been getting frustrated with my sport track & I am very close to pulling it up to route something, I think I might try to route a 1/43 track first as a test BEFORE I jump into my 1/32 masterpiece!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:02 PM
National Racer
View JWEBDRD's Photo Album

Default Just a few thoughts......

I saw the scx sets advertised in the sunday Target flyer. I went to the store and checked them out. I thought they looked pretty good. $30 gets your sort of a bash and crash layout, kids like that, I think. $80 gets a nice sized f1 layout.

I'd like to know about extra cars, controllers and track, I didn't see any at the store.

I believe from previous 1/43 posts, the artin, carrera, and now scx cars are different voltage/mags and so not really interchangeable out of the box.

You should probably ignore the scratch building discussion as a novice and for kids. It's valid, but different aspect of the hobby.

I raced HO as a kid and still love it. I think those cars are really stuck to the track, so once kids master on/off with the controller, I can see why they would like it. After all, HO were the only slot cars offered in the US untill relatively recently, and they were marketed to kids.

Many posters here report their kids do well with 1/32, I found young ones wrecked them constantly, but they will learn. Helps if you can turn the voltage down, which a starter set does not offer, again, that's usually an option more advanced hobbiests have available.

One knowledgeable poster here strongly believes in the toy store battery powered sets for developing kids skills and interest. Probably a good idea.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
International Racer
View deltart's Photo Album

Default Three Carrera GO F1 1/43 sets

The wife dragged me to a Tuesday Morning store yesterday.
I was bored of my face till I spotted 3 Carrera Go F1 1/43 race sets.
They are brand new in box and are being sold for $49.99 each.
If anyone needs one for Christmas let me know and I will gladly swing by to pick one up.
Regards,

Johan