AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Championship Contender
View SlotsNZ's Photo Album

Default What do you use to glue down braid on a track

Well the title says it all.

I was planning to use a "firm-setting" contact glue we get here, (called ADOS F2 in case it's availale anywhere else), but when I tried glueing a test piece onto MDF last night I was surprised to find this viscous glue was getting absorbed into the MDF surface, and going into the braid , and didn't look like it was going to hold at all well.

So all suggestions as to glue choice, method of application, and method of keeping MDF and braid sitting right gratefully received. I COULD just use weight on flat straights, but I have some tricky in and out turns to do which means stresses in a yard of braid in bot sideways directions, and elevation changes,so I can't just put large weights over the top, they won't sit flat.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Top Qualifier
View MG Brown's Photo Album

Permatex 81731 "Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" seems to be favored as a REPAIR glue by commercial track owners in this area. Not sure if you can get it in bulk.

I seem to remember Gary Gerding mentioning a braid application tool that he uses to build his tracks.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 AM
National Champion
View RichD's Photo Album

Look here for a good article on building a portable braided track. The article includes detailed information on how the braid was glued down. Doing a braided track is a fair amount of work. You need to use a tried and true method or you might have the braid peel off later on.
http://www.slotcarcorner.com/Clubs/Shoreline/Gypsy.asp
Old 12-02-2007, 01:54 PM
National Racer
View McLaren's Photo Album

Jim Honeycutt (of Magnatech fame) has some specific recommendations for adhesives (see below) , but if you are putting down 1/4" wide braid , he recommends an industrial double-stick tape.

With the glues, you apply the glue both to the slot and to the braid , let dry a bit, then stick down and roll flat.

From an email exchange with Jim:

"High-grade (heavy solids) contact cements are the standard braid adhesives, available at Home Depot & Lowes <major US home center stores>. 3M 847 & 3M 1357 are excellent industrial adhesives available at 3M adhesives dealers. 847 is more resistant to solvents & heat reactivateable. 1357 smells nicer & is more environmentally friendly. Industrial quality (not craft type) hot melt glue is also good. 3M VHB Clear F9469 PC 5ml thick (1/4" wide double stick tape), is the easiest way to attach new braid to a sealed braid shoulder. Adhesion & durability is comparable to glue with less hassle. Now in stock $18.00 for a 60 yard roll."

You can contact Jim at:
Jim Honeycutt
Magnatech SRP
Box 29931
San Antonio TX 78229-0931
jimht@att.net or jimhtt@hotmail.com
(210) 308-6909 FAX (830) 755-2481

It is likely that Jim would ship internationally.

-- Bill
Old 12-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Top Qualifier
View The Old Jaybird's Photo Album

Smile I can only add....

....that like Jim Honeycutt mentions, the heavier the contact cement, the more "good stuff" it has in it. This should be true in both the northern and southern hemispheres!! Just buy the stuff that feels the most dense. Key is to allow both the braid and track to dry for 10 minutes or so before laying the braid . You need a setup where you can glue about 15/20 feet of braid at a time. I have seen it rolled around a trash can or laid out on a long bench/counter.

TOJ
Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Championship Contender
View SlotsNZ's Photo Album

Default Thanks heaps guys

Lots of good info.

I actually got the braid from Jim. He ships international real good!
Note for anyone from outside USA buying braid . I didn't stuff around with the cable companies to save a few percent. Jim has international post NAILED. He gave me a post rate half what anyone else could find, or me myself looking at the rates, and was a total pleasure to deal with.

I should have bought the tape I guess. I was going to get tape here, but the grade I was recommended form 3M they wanted SO much for in NZ, like a buck a foot!! 60 feet, 3 lanes, x2 and that was $360 for double sided tape.

The contact cement I got aint up to the task, so I can explore some of these other options now. The heavy solids thing makes sense, as does the industrial grade hot melt.

Now, back to the garage to make more progress.

Thanks again.