AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  

Go Back   Slot Car Illustrated Forum > Scale Racing > 1/24 Scale Slot Cars

Old 03-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Championship Contender
View challenger's Photo Album

Default Hardbody Racing : Protrack vs H&R chassis

Hi everyone, I race several 1:24 Hardbody classes in a club and have mostly used conventional slotcar chassis's and modified them to fit model kits. We run on foam 1" tires and race Nascar, IMSA, Modified, Short Track etc. I have noticed 2 reasonably priced cars on-line and would like to try them out. My main interest is in painting and detailing and would like to cut back on the time I spend on chassis building. I would like some feedback from people that have used the ProTrack and H&R cars, they both look like they would suit my needs.

Thanks, Challenger

Last edited by challenger; 03-02-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:35 AM
National Racer
View race301's Photo Album

Default Hardbody

Use a Parma chassis, twice as good as the ones you are looking at.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Championship Contender

Default Parma chassis

Does the Parma chassis have an adjustable wheel base ?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Top Qualifier
View MG Brown's Photo Album

The Parma wheel base is adjustable with a Dremel cut-off disc and a soldering iron.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Championship Contender

Default Parma Hardbody chassis

Do you guys mean the "brass" one piece Parma ? I have seen those, they look very wide and would limit the number of bodies that could be mounted with out heavy modifications. They look perfect for a modern Nascar.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:03 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG Brown View Post
The Parma wheel base is adjustable with a Dremel cut-off disc and a soldering iron.
They come in a 4 or 4.5 inch version, or you can modify like MG says. For hardbody most use the 4.5 and they do have adjust a bushings for front & rear to adjust wheelbase . I would not even use anything else. I do not know why any track owner would put there own racers through the agony of using that other junk.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:09 AM
National Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger View Post
Do you guys mean the "brass" one piece Parma ? I have seen those, they look very wide and would limit the number of bodies that could be mounted with out heavy modifications. They look perfect for a modern Nascar.
Any 1/24 or 1/25 model will work with 1/25 (lighter) prefered.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Top Qualifier
View MG Brown's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger View Post
Do you guys mean the "brass" one piece Parma ? I have seen those, they look very wide and would limit the number of bodies that could be mounted with out heavy modifications.
The Parma chassis I am referring to is the FCR. It is easy to modify either the body or the chassis to mount practically anything.

IE: certain late 60's to early 70's plastic bodies have a considerable amount of "tumble home" in the lower doors and rocker panels. Heating the body with a hair dryer and bending while warm straightens this out and allows it to fit on the FCR chassis like it was made for it.

Creating 1/24 hardbody cars from plastic model kits requires more effort than just screwing the body on the chassis- no matter what chassis you choose to start with.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 AM
National Racer
View JBriggsK9's Photo Album

Challenger

The H&R chassis are good chassis and will cut done on some of the work in hacking up the Parma chassis ( a good chassis also ) The H&R is adjustable and most of the ones I have seen have had pan mounted the then to help with the handling.. They changed the Protrack design a while ago and it is not all that good now...

Chris
Old 03-02-2008, 10:50 AM
National Champion
View svanaken's Photo Album

As long as everyone is using the same motor/chassis, it makes little difference which one you are using. We use the H&R as it has a wide range of wheelbase adjustments without resorting to cutting and soldering. It is also quite rugged, something we appreciate. It will fit just about any 1/24 or 1/25 body out there.

Scott
Old 03-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Championship Contender

Default Thanks for the feedback

Thank you all for the comments so far.

My goal was to gather some info on two RTR cars that I was interested in and knew nothing about. I did also receive info on another Hardbody chassis, the Parma. I did some checking on that one, it appears to use 13/16" tires. The club I race at has minimum 1" tire rules as listed in my original posting. If I pick up a RTR Parma I would need to replace the tires, modify the chassis and bushings to accomodate the larger tires. (**has anyone tried this ? does it perform well ? ) Thanks to JBriggsK9, you seem to be familiar with the H&R cars. MG Brown, I do understand there's more to building a model car than throwing a body on it !!! If I'm going after a championship I have no problem putting in the wrench time and showing up with a JK or a Mossetti laser cut chassis and a killer paint job. I would like to go to my local club, with a basic car, and have some fun. It sounds like I will be able to do that, Thanks to all,
Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Championship Contender
View sportblazer350's Photo Album

Hi, i have used the earlier version brass pan ProTrack, but no longer available. A great rtr chassis for the price at one time ($29.99). The newer ProTrack is a strange screw together fiberglass (?) chassis, and would need brass pans added to work well. The current H&R Racing brass pan is adjustable in wheelbase and chassis length- perfect for model kit conversion.

I have Parma FCR, and i cannot figure out how any of my many model kits would fit on it??? It seems too wide, and it is really not adjustable, except for a very tiny bit with the square bushings. If you use the FCR, i suggest buying a bare chassis, as you want to use scale size 1" or 1-1/8" wheels and tires.

On the H&R Racing rtr chassis, i soldered on brass pans for weights or self adhesive lead weights work just as well. And i can make that chassis handle very well, just a balance of adding pan weights to chassis bottom on sides, and width of front and rear wheels. Once right, you get to enjoy hard body racing! it's a lot of fun with these types of brass pan chassis.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Club Racer
View TRPGW's Photo Album

Hey Everybody,

Please try the new Pro-Track composite chassis before you condem it. I think you will find it is the best of all the chassis you all have been using. Heavy pan chassis are good for some applications but most racers would like to have a chassis that does not bend or break. The weight is about half therefore you can use a Chetah II to run 1/24th cars. I have been using them for over a year now and the mounting system is far superior to any other chassis on the market.

Best Regards,
Greg Walker
The Race Place
Old 03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
National Racer
View Badfinger's Photo Album

What a cowinky dink, I've just finished building those same two chassis' and have been tinkering with the hard model bodies, one GT40 and one NASCAR. So I've pretty much equalized both chassis to about 120 grams, the H&R is stripped with no extra weight and the Protrack has some brass added to bring it up to that. Both bodies will end up being about 40 grams each, which is a little too much because both the chassis' are rapid and stuck down right now without bodies, so I'm leaning toward the Protrack with a little bit less weight and Lexan, (er say Porsche 956) bodies with lex interior right now for both. The front wheels and tires are scale but I need to grind down the foam on them to reduce the footprint to almost three point. Too bad I may have to chuck the hardbody concept, but keep the scale fronts as I want an equal stance but as fast as say a BRM or a D3 retro which will be tough. Our shop guru may start selling the D3 chassis kit so I'll probably be getting one of those. I like to tinker.

Yeh, I wanna go fast so I'm looking at about a 125-130 gram end product, but since the trigger down flexi doorstop thing doesn't really turn my crank, not quite that fast. All due respect to those guys but I really want a realistic looking Porsche LMP, GT or even Nascar that I have to actually drive to keep it in the slot. I can't even see something that's going 150 feet/second or whatever they go.

Last edited by Badfinger; 03-03-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 PM
International Racer
View eaddict's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRPGW View Post
Please try the new Pro-Track composite chassis before you condem it. I think you will find it is the best of all the chassis you all have been using. Heavy pan chassis are good for some applications but most racers would like to have a chassis that does not bend or break. The weight is about half therefore you can use a Chetah II to run 1/24th cars. I have been using them for over a year now and the mounting system is far superior to any other chassis on the market.
Huh? Where? When? The only protrack chassis I know of were the 1/24 brass and the flimsy 1/32 spider. is there something new in the 1/24 area?