NINCO
MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 AM
Pit Crew

Default Four lanes.

hey guys I'm trying to put together a four lane raceway.What track system would be best to use?do I need to get two of the same track sets? I need some info on this thanks guys.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:16 PM
International Racer
View Rakete's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will410 View Post
hey guys I'm trying to put together a four lane raceway.What track system would be best to use?do I need to get two of the same track sets? I need some info on this thanks guys.
Hello Will410 - and welcome...

There are several different ways you can go to accomplish your goal. You will find that people here have a preference for their particular brand of track for differing reasons. There was a poll thread a while ago where it seems that Scalextric Sport seems to be the dominant track system used on this board, not to say the others aren't great options. Use the search and you'll find many answers.

That said, if you did go Scalextric Sport, they have a nice way of designing nested layouts. You would not want two of the exact same sets as a four lane is basically two 2-lane sets with one nested inside the other. In Scalextric terms a set with a T2 designation will be the exact same shape but nest inside a T3 layout. Same for a T3 to a T4 layout. Those designations are clearly visible on the Scalextric box if its one of those sets. From that point, add track in any way/design you wish, keepng in mind to do the equivalent across both sections of track. You'll find many here much more knowledgable than I, but hopefully this gets you a start. Welcome to the board and check the links/vendor/partner sections for great retailers that stock what I'm talking about. Several are active on this board and quite helpful.

Good luck,

-- Rakete --
Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 PM
National Racer
View Slotict's Photo Album

All the track systems use curves that can be nested to accommodate multiple lanes. Most sets come only with R2 curves. You will need R3 curves to add outside lanes and R1 curves to add inner lanes.

As Rakete states only Scalextric, AFAIK, produces sets that can be combined to create a 4 lane track. Other brands will require that you purchase the outer and inner curves separately.

Rand
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
National Racer
View slipstick's Photo Album

Artin
Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
National Racer
View Slotict's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Artin
Artin mixes 45* curves and 30* curves between the curve radii. It is very difficult to match inner and outer curves in multiples other than 90*.

Rand
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 PM
National Racer
View slipstick's Photo Album

Maybe its no longer available - but my home track is a box stock Artin 4-lane layout, easy, inexpensive and durable.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Championship Contender
View thatguy01's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotict View Post
Artin mixes 45* curves and 30* curves between the curve radii. It is very difficult to match inner and outer curves in multiples other than 90*.
Only Artin six-lane R1/R2/R3 (and eight-lane with R4) together requires multiples of 90.

Four-lane and six-lane curves with R2/R3/R4 can be in multiples of 45. (R2 is available as 15 + 30; R3 and R4 are 22.5)

Four-lane R1/R2 can be in multiples of 30.

Last edited by thatguy01; 08-26-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:08 AM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Maybe its no longer available - but my home track is a box stock Artin 4-lane layout, easy, inexpensive and durable.
The big four-lane figure-8 isn't available now AFAIK. The new oval sets are okay value, but not like the figure-8. You can get them in a wide variety of multi-lane combos.

Last edited by thatguy01; 08-26-2008 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Championship Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakete View Post
That said, if you did go Scalextric Sport, they have a nice way of designing nested layouts. You would not want two of the exact same sets as a four lane is basically two 2-lane sets with one nested inside the other. In Scalextric terms a set with a T2 designation will be the exact same shape but nest inside a T3 layout. Same for a T3 to a T4 layout. -
The only sets that are designed to nest together perfectly without other parts (or leftover parts) are the T2 and T3.

The other Scalextric sets generally use an X designator (X1, X2, X3, X4). "X" sets don't nest together.

If you have a T3 set, you can combine it with any Scalextric figure-8 set (X2, X3, X4) to make a simple four-lane figure eight like this. You'll have some track parts left over.

Last edited by thatguy01; 08-26-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 AM
Championship Contender
View SlotNovice's Photo Album

hi will -

as mentioned, all track systems 'nest' .. in case you don't get this, here's a pic .. this is scalextric sport track, but all systems are similar

another point to be considered -

a four lane track takes up a fair amount of real estate, no matter which brand you buy .. and a simple figure of eight will very soon bore you ..

the best, reasonably sized track i've seen yet is the one Dr Vanski designed for a business in Toronto, his 'mini grid' .. using the smaller radii scalextric sport track, and with a lane length of around 70' each (22 meters to be more precise), this four-laner has a 'footprint' of something like 20' X 8' ..

while this is (IMHO) a fabulous layout, are you willing (or able) to dedicate a similar space? not necessarily that big, but similar?

just a thought

pete
Old 08-26-2008, 03:56 AM
Pit Crew

Thanks everyone.I was in the dark now I see the light lol,it make sense thanks again everyone.