MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum  
Old 12-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Novice Racer
View Gary#8's Photo Album

Default 1/43 Carrera Go / SCX Compact / Artin

Hi All, Any one have both types of 1/43 scale cars and or tracks and which cars are faster? Which track is wider? Which track looks to take the most abuse and or last longer? How do the rate against Artin cars and track. What voltage do each type run at? Thanks in advance for any help. Gary
Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 AM
International Racer
View dclovell's Photo Album

I have a hybrid SCX Compact/Carrera GO! track. I made adapter tracks. I can say this...The two are the same width, the GO! track has a slightly wider slot to handle the guide pin of the GO! cars.

Both track systems are very good. Right now I would say GO! has the edge simply because they offer more track pieces...ie more curve radius, more banked curves, switch tracks....that is why I made adapter tracks! SCX has been in the 1/43 scale business only a few years and I am sure they will add to their track catalog as the line has taken off way better than they thought it would.

I use a Ninco N digitial power supply, 14Volt, 3 amp, along with Ninco 55 plus controls. I did this because I did not like the SCX wall wart and the controllers. I had the Ninco stuff already. I took a Ninco terminal track removed and modified the part that has the reversing switch and plugs for the controllers and power supply. I removed the plug in section from and SCX terminal track and soldered the Ninco connections to the SCX terminal track and I was off and running. This power supply is light years ahead of the wall wart.

I can't comment on Compact vs GO! vs Artin cars as right now, I just own SCX cars....I am sure you will get other input on that.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
National Racer
View machgo5go's Photo Album

Stay away from Artin if you are into scale realistic performance. Artin is so low grade crappy finish & design that does not even compare IMO . I actually opened a new set I got as a joke gift and throught it out since things were just breaking as i put it together.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Pit Crew

Hi,

Don't be too put off Artin, or the cars at least - they're cheap, and fun/easy to modify, especially if you're just looking to get started in the hobby. True, the track is fragile and difficult to maintain good continuity on, but sooner or later I'll get round to building a semi-permanent circuit - perhaps.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:01 AM
National Racer
View Liberty FLHTC's Photo Album

In box stock form, the Artin cars are the fastest but don't control / handle as good as SCX or Carrera. The finish and detail of the Carrera and SCX bodies far exceed the Artin. SCX molds their bodies with the "glass" as an integral part and is colored dark whereas Carrera uses clear "glass" inserts. There are a lot of Artin knock-offs for sale now and the chassis are sloppier than the original Artin. The Artin chassis is by far the sturdiest of the three and lends itself easier for modification (for those that like to retrofit different bodies). Carrera has the largest selection of car bodies but, without modification to the guide pin, do not run good on Artin or SCX track. The Artin and SCX cars will run on the Carrera track with no problem. The true Artin products are getting scarce since we lost the USA distributor a while back. SCX is the newcomer to the scale and are cautious about the body styles and liveries brought to market. The SCX reps here in the US listen very intently to their customers and, I believe, it won't be long before the same follows with the Carrera reps.

Track availability for Carrera and SCX is growing and Artin track available is shrinking. Carrera uses 14.5 volts for power, SCX uses 12 volts, and Artin power packs are 7.5 volts. Running SCX cars on 14.5 volts makes them slightly faster and more equal to Carrera. Running Artin cars at 14.5 volts makes them wickedly fast. If extra traction magnets are to be used to keep the cars "glued" to the track then car brand doesn't make much difference. If the traction magnets are to be left "stck" or removed to allow for sliding the corners, then SCX is the way to go since they use a swivel guide flag to keep the pick-up brushes in line with the power rails.

All in all, it boils down to a matter of choice of the customer and what their end intent is for the hobby. Some folks only purchase RTR cars and others choose to build their own cars using whatever parts are available - including fabricating chassis.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:13 AM
National Racer
View Barfly's Photo Album

If Fastest is defined by Lap Times and we are taking about un modified cars running on there own brand of track:
1. Carrera Go!
2. SCX Compact
3. Artin

Have Fun
Joe
Old 12-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Top Qualifier
View 007's Photo Album

Carrera cars are nice and handle good
SCX cars are nice and handle well

BUT

Artin cars need a 10 minute up grade #1 real magnet on the bottom----#2 Pop in a 32,000 rpm 1/32 motor as there is no sodering (toss away that headlight bulb it will pop in 3.2 secon anyway at 12-14 volts..)..And you have a car that will BLOW AWAY ANY Carrera OR SCX....
SOMETHING LIKE THIS

RACE ANYONE??????????????he-he
Old 12-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Championship Contender
View scrjon's Photo Album

what he said about light bulbs
Old 12-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Top Qualifier
View 007's Photo Album

posted in "Running voltage for Artin" tread
Quote:
d
I have few older Artin cars I was testing. They're lighted and they all ran fine at 12v but I think I may have burned the bulbs
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Pit Crew

Default track adaptors

dclovell,

Are track adapters to go between SCX Compact and Carrera GO commercially available? If not, is it easy to make?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Championship Contender
View pfuetze's Photo Album

track adapters are not commercially available, but easy to make. Carrera and SCX track has the same dimensions, only the connection between the track pieces are different. so cut a straight piece of Carrera in half and one SCX and glue them together with hot glue from the back side. solder together the rails. ready.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Championship Contender
View cjent's Photo Album

Smile

However, remember that SCX has narrower slots.
Liberty really did a top job of summing up the brands, however, Carrera has removable black "glass" not clear, but Ranch Design has retrofit clear glass for them.

Last edited by cjent; 01-19-2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Add on.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 AM
International Racer
View dclovell's Photo Album

Turnbullm,

Please see this post...it shows how to make the adapter tracks. It's not hard!

http://www.scxworldwide.com/ipb/inde...822&hl=carrera

If you have any other questions, PM me...also...here is a link to pics of my old 1/43 hybrid!

http://www.scxworldwide.com/ipb/inde...822&hl=carrera
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
National Racer
View nitroexpress's Photo Album

You have a car that will BLOW AWAY ANY Carrera OR SCX....
SOMETHING LIKE THIS

RACE ANYONE??????????????he-he[/quote]

Hey what brand wheels & tires are those on that blue car????? Be nice to know so I could score some perhapps !!!!!
I like the big tires out back!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM
International Racer
View Z1R_Darryl's Photo Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Carrera cars are nice and handle good
SCX cars are nice and handle well

BUT

Artin cars need a 10 minute up grade #1 real magnet on the bottom----#2 Pop in a 32,000 rpm 1/32 motor as there is no sodering (toss away that headlight bulb it will pop in 3.2 secon anyway at 12-14 volts..)..And you have a car that will BLOW AWAY ANY Carrera OR SCX....
SOMETHING LIKE THIS

RACE ANYONE??????????????he-he
Where do you recomend getting the 1/32 motors, and how much $$$ do they run?