MRC
AFX
Slot.it
Slot Car Illustrated Forum
Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
National Racer
View guinner16's Photo Album

Default carrera tire truing

I really want to look into way to brueprint a carrera car. One of those ways is to "true" the tires up. I have built a tire sanding station that works very well. However i have heard of more advance methods to this. I remember seeing a device that would work specifically for carrera tires in order to make them true. I know there are other ones for some kits cars/scratch built cars, but i am not sure how they would work with carrera's tires. If anyone has iny information on these devices please let me know. Also let me know if you have had any experience with them.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
World Champion
View dr vanski's Photo Album

New Carrera tires seem to be made out of some kind of vinyl and are very difficult to true and even then do not provide much grip. You are better off buying replacements: SuperTire, Indy Grips, etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Novice Racer
View orlando1234's Photo Album

Can someone please explain to a newbie what tire "truing" is? Is it more than just making sure the tire is round?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
National Racer

I am using aftermarket uerethane tires. However even these need to be trued. Like i said i made a sanding box, but just wanted to see if there were any other precise methods out there.

Orlando - Take a look at the bottom of your stock carrera (or other brand) tires. When holding it level you will see that from each sidewall the shape of the tread is in a "U". This means that not all of the tire is hitting on the track. When sitting true all the tire is hitting the track which can give more grip. For example, I just bought the new red carrrea GT 40. I ran 50 laps with aftermarket tires. I then used my sanding box and ran another 50 laps. After sanding i was nearly 2 tenths quicker and my car only deslotted only once in 50 laps. I also trim down the inside of the tire where the mold was made. Often times these sections are cut by hand and can be rough on a aftermarket tire. Just alittle extra flashing on one side of the tire can hurt the performance. By smoothing those areas you can insure that the tire is more in balance. These are just a couple of cheap easy ways to knock off a tenth or to and keep the car on the track.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Championship Contender
View scrjon's Photo Album

carrera has a problem with their wheels to i have found molding nubs on the wheels and had to use an xacto knife to cut it down than with the tires off i true the wheels than the tires but check those wheels first i have about 70 carrera cars and at least 10 of them had these molding nubs on them
Old 01-12-2010, 08:03 PM
World Champion
View dr vanski's Photo Album

Hi Orlando,

There's more to truing tires than just the tires. The first thing to check is if the axle is straight, and if the wheels are on the axle straight. If either are too far out of whack then the car will hop especially if you're taken the traction magnets out. One should also make sure that there is not too much play in the bushings - either the axle being loose in the bushings or the bushings being loose in the chassis. Next, check that there is no molding flash either on the plastic wheel or inside the tire. As SCRJohn and guinner16 point out these issues can prevent the tire from being properly seated on the wheel.

When I started in the hobby I used a drywall spatula with two grits of sandpaper glued on each side. I'd face the car going backwards on my power base and gun it. Not sure if you can do that with digital.

Once I had been in the hobby for a few years I decided that I needed something better for tire truing. A few guys in my club have a Hudy which works great for setscrew wheels. Since I have a lot of cars in my collection and like to keep the stock rear axle assembly whenever possible I bought an RSMII tire trues from Germany.

There is a similar product called 'Tyre True'. This type of machine works best with aftermarket urethane and most stock rubber tires.

This is just an overview but it will give you an idea of what's involved to set up a car with plastic wheels.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 AM
National Racer
View ddyke's Photo Album

If you have a spindle sander you have a tire truer.

http://home.fuse.net/SCJ/TireSander/tiretruer.html
Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM
National Racer

I think i was looking for more along the lines of the Tyre True. I already have a tire sanding and that works great. The Tyre True would be able to true the tires and rims while still being on the axle. Thats the catch with carrera tires that they will have to be trued while on the axle. The other catch is to be able to true the rims/wheels along with the tire.

Last edited by guinner16; 01-14-2010 at 06:24 AM.